Madison

Goodbye "Skydiving Magazine"?

As for myself, I'll be contacting Skydiving Mag to let them know there is no need to refund the remainder of my subscription. What a great resource and great service they've provided through the years. Running a small business, especially a news reporting business in these economic times, is more likely a labor of love than a business venture. I thank the staff at Skydiving Magazine and wish them the best as they move on.

Epic blowage.

Nick - Time to brush off the "Fixed Object Journal" or we'll never see Bazil's sweet ass BASE pics again.

Hell, just the news blurbs in the first few pages offered more insight than a year of Parachutist fluff pieces.

What a drag. Thanks for a good run guys.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

It's a sad day for BASE jumpers around the world as we now have no reason to run to the mailbox each month.:( SKYDIVING was a great magazine and I'm going to miss it immensely. I would have gladly paid twice the annual subscription rate!!

Many thanks to Sue, Mike, and Sandy for the countless Bridge Day/BASE emails, stories, and ads over the last 7 years that we've been organizing the event. I think I've had a subscription for the last 15 years or so and I'm really going to miss it.

No need to refund my money!

PS. Yes, Robin Heid will probably go on welfare!

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted.

I didn't mention the B.A.S.E. coverage in my previous post, but of course Mike gets props for keeping that community informed when no one else was doing it. And I know it cost him some subscribers . . .

Anyone remember Steve Nagy's letter to the editor in the early 1990s? He wrote "Print one more photo or article about B.A.S.E jumping and I'm canceling my subscription to SKYDIVING!"

So long Steve, we all thought . . . LOL!

NickD :)

I just heard the news this evening. The best magazine on the planet, how can this be? Crazy times for sure.

Thank you Mike, Sue and Sandy! I have appreciated your work for many years. Going to the mailbox is generally not an exciting event. However, when I open the lid and see Skydiving Magazine there…yeah baby, today my mind gets to travel the world with sweaty palms.

Best wishes to you all, I hope our paths cross soon.

Blue Skies!
Baz

I am upset that this magazine has ended... I don't receive any magazines, newspapers, or anything in print - everything is online - EXCEPT skydiving magazine...

Parachutist is boring, uneducational, and out of date. It only covers a bit of skydiving and nothing else related to parachutes or flying.

Heck, the last time I tried to congratulate a friend for a new rating I saw in the back of it, he already had earned another one and it was passe - like sending a birthday card a few months late.

Oh, and the only way to be in the front cover of Parachutist was to be a world champion.... I framed the front cover of an issue of Skydiving where four of my friends, for whom I normally flew video, were turning points in a training camp in Eloy. 4 college age students with different colored jumpsuits and old POS rigs... And they made the front cover. Heck, I even made the second page once.

I wish Skydiving Magazine would have sold or given away the publishing rights to someone else.... (the customer database has value so the new owner could have at least started with a viable business).

Oh, and the only way to be in the front cover of Parachutist was to be a world champion....

I have to cry bullshit on this. First, there are certainly more pictures of better-known skydivers submitted (because proportionately vidiots jump with the best jumpers more than they do with Joe Jumper). Second, with Joe Jumper making 50 jumps a year, and the "world champion" making 500, wouldn't you think there might be better odds of a great shot being captured of the "champ"? But despite all that, there have been plenty of lower-time and lesser-known jumpers on the cover over the years.

Or, if I'm wrong, then I'm sure there are all sorts of everyday jumpers who have been on the cover who will be excited to know that they are now classified as world champions.
-Lambert-

"It's better to be looked over than overlooked."

>>The best magazine on the planet, how can this be? Crazy times for sure.

A suggestion:

For those that would like to show their appreciation for the execellent work Skydiving Mag has accomplished through the years...when your refund check arrives throw it in the trash. That's what I'll be doing. For a measly $15/year look at what they've provided. Plus, its money already spent, I won't miss it.

For those that would like to see someone pick up the torch and carry on - do the same. It might send the message that there is a willing and supportive market out here and provide the encouragement they need to take the plunge.

A suggestion:

For those that would like to show their appreciation for the execellent work Skydiving Mag has accomplished through the years...when your refund check arrives throw it in the trash. That's what I'll be doing. For a measly $15/year look at what they've provided. Plus, its money already spent, I won't miss it.

For those that would like to see someone pick up the torch and carry on - do the same. It might send the message that there is a willing and supportive market out here and provide the encouragement they need to take the plunge.

Just got my refund in the mail.
$24.96 Sorry, but that will be put to good use in the form of a jump this weekend.
I think they would approve.

I wouldn't have bitched if I didn't get a check, but, they sent it. I'll use it.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

A suggestion:

For those that would like to show their appreciation for the excellent work Skydiving Mag has accomplished through the years...when your refund check arrives throw it in the trash. That's what I'll be doing. For a measly $15/year look at what they've provided. Plus, its money already spent, I won't miss it.

I didn't wanna do THAT...my check came today and it was about 60 bucks, but Mike is offering to exchange the refund for merchandise...free shipping.

I'm finally gonna be getting Brian G's book, a packing tool and some other goodies. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was a subscriber for about 28 years. It was the BEST magazine on skydiving/BASE available in all that time. Mike Truffer printed whatever he felt would be of interest to us and was beholden to no organization with an agenda.

Very sad news but likely a sign of the times unfortunately. I will sure miss Skydiving.

Best of luck to Mike Truffer and Sue Clifton.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Anyone remember Steve Nagy's letter to the editor in the early 1990s? He wrote "Print one more photo or article about B.A.S.E jumping and I'm canceling my subscription to SKYDIVING!"

So long Steve, we all thought . . . LOL!

NickD :)

My favourite Mike Truffer response to people like this was in a letter to the editor that he printed with the title:

DROPOUT

"Please take my name off your mailing list. I am no longer in the "sport". I told USPA to cancel my membership after 30 jumps because I found that skydivers are nothing but foul-mouthed, filthy, lewd, egomaniacs and I want no part of them or you."

Signed
Donna Goodenough
Quail Valley, California

Mike's response:

How dare you call us filthy. - Ed.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

With over 15,000 subscribers and a readership that is probably five times that figure, even more! Skydiving had to be the most read Skydiving magazine on the planet. I find it hard to believe that it has finished due to the current finical crisis, but to just shut with no notice seems very strange!

I'm sure the full story will come out in the fullness time, but hopefully someone will be able to pick up were Skydiving left off.
Totally Free Skydiving Software/blue]
www.strollerweb.co.uk
www.gravity-power.com

I just got my refund check, $3.57. I looked at it for a minute, trying to figure out the amount. I bought my girlfriend's brother, a newbie skydiver, a subscription for Christmas.. I figured since I bought the sub, I'd get the check for 11/12th of the subscription. So $3.57 had me scratching my head.

Then I realized: Its whatever remained from the 10 year subscription my ex-wife got me nearly 10 years ago. Screw her: I'm keeping the check! B| She got damn near half of everything else, I'm keeping this!

(In some ways, she reminds me of the paperboy in Better Off Dead: "I want my two dollars!!")

NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

I hardly look into 'Parachutist', but I always read Skydiving Magazine front to back. They sent me the refund check today, and I will pump it right back in ordering more of their merchandise. I hope this is really just a suspension, optimist that I am.[:/]

Blue Skies!
----------
D-17958

Ditto!

I always figured I'd best get something from my USPA Membership, thus, never decided to opt out of getting "Parachutist"... plus it always had some cool pictures to show the whuffos.

Where as, I always read "Skydiving" cover to cover. They had the stones to publish a lot of stuff that the USPA won't and its because of that, I'm really sorry to see "Skydiving" mag go away. :(

I got my subscription refund check in the mail today. At least I got that, as opposed to the I.O.U. tax refund I'll get from California. :(>:(