Madison

Goodbye "Skydiving Magazine"?

Skydiving would do BASE articles when Parachutist wouldn't. Hell, they even MENTION BASE. Parachutist won't. You could say "fuck" in Skydiving. Try that in Parachutist. You could have tasteless ads in Skydiving. Don't even try in Parachutist. Parachutist panders to new members for the survival of the organization. Skydiving has (had) a loyal following who were willing to pay. Parachutist has captive members who have to take what they're given even when they don't want it (the magazine, that is.)
Truffer's editorials gave us a real skydiver perspective as alternative to a magazine that is handcuffed by having to cater to members vs. subscribers. And that is the difference; Member driven vs. subscriber driven. With Skydiving leaving we will experience not just a loss of an alternative periodical, but a truer representation, an independence and a voice. Sorry to see it go. Real sorry. I hope we still hear from Mike time to time. He's actually a very nice guy. (He might be reading this so... Hi, Mike );)
Ah, well, as this day has shown, all things are possible, and all things pass. We are all part of change. Change we want and cause, as well as change someone else resents. We are the new bright future of our own destiny as well as the harbinger of someone else's end. Life is like that; yin & yang, black & white, then and now.

Noooooooo! I was probably one of the few people who did a 10 year subscription and I was about to re-up it again. By far and away my favorite magazine that I always look forward to. Damn damn damn. :(

Yeah, my 10 year just ran out, kept forgetting to grab my label to put my subscriber number in so I could re-up it. Guess my procrastination paid off, this time. Still, I'd rather have the darn mag. Now I gotta wait 30 days or so between my mistresses.. *sniff*

I just bought my girlfriend's brother a gift subscription for Xmas. Well, guess I can reinvest in a sub to Popular Mechanics for him :)

Darn. My ex-wife got me that 10 year subscription, and when we got divorced and the mag kept coming, I thought "Well, theres at least one thing that came from her that I can still appreciate!" Hahahahah..
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Hi Madi and all,
What a drag!! Well after 30 years, wow!! Hopefully someone will "pick up the torch" and carry on.

I'd be game, but don't know the first thing about publishing.:|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hi JP,

don't know the first thing about publishing.

Neither did Mike when he first started out. His first issues were a cut-n-paste on his girlfriend's kitchen table.

Poynter gives seminars & writes books on self-publishing.

Start reading, it'll be your chance to finally make a million.

JerryBaumchen

I have enjoyed the magazines for more than a dozen years. Sad to see this happen but they have been running it for 30 years, which is plenty long enough for anybody at one job. I hope they find somebody else to take over soon.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Start reading, it'll be your chance to finally make a million.

JerryBaumchen

A million in skydiving? :D

it's easy if you start with $2,000,000 :P
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I was probably one of the few people who did a 10 year subscription and I was about to re-up it again. Damn damn damn.

Me too! That was a terrific deal that assured I would get the magazine well into the future. The check for my renewal was written and envelope stamped, and it was just waiting for a trip to the post office.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy