pojj

injury insurance

I have insurance for medical through work. A routine HMO plan. I have disability insurance too. Have not used either for skydiving.

Frankly, the nature of your posts concern me. You have not yet jumped except a few tandems, apparently) but your posts are usually about what can go wrong in skydiving. You may be just overly cautious, but you need to realize, there is nothing safe about skydiving. You can get hurt and hurt badly. You could die. You could die doing a lot of other things, too.

If you are that concerned about the safety of the sport, it is not something you should participate in. Education is fine, but if you are looking for some level of assurance that you will be safe, you probably should look to a less risky endeavor.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I think freaking out about the dangers of skydives is just a process of becoming a skydiver. I wanted to know the risks, and I feel better knowing them, because I then learned what to do to best avoid them/deal with them when they occur.

I look at it this way; I met a guy with 1100 jumps before his first cut-away, but to counter that, I saw a noob with probably less than 50 dives cut-away, (both landed safely). Most jumps go right, some don't that's a risk I am willing to take.

"Freaking out" is actually something you kinda want to avoid in skydiving. I've seen people with simple line twists freak out and cut away a perfect good parachute on their first jump. This person ultimately turned out to not be that great of a skydiver and lucky for all of us vanished back into the non-skydiving world.

The opposite end of this would be the guy that recently had his tandem instructor die on him just after deployment. The guy was cool enough under pressure to realize that the only thing to do was land the thing himself. This guy is probably going to be a great skydiver if he continues.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

how do most jumpers go about insurance,,im sure there are a lot of family jumpers,so in the event of an injury ,what income protection can you get.:ph34r:

Group health plans usually cover dangerous sports. Individual plans are spottier. A simple broken bone can run over $20,000 after the insurance discount and serious injury $200,000.

Group disability insurance usually covers dangerous sports. Generally you get 60% of your income covered after the first week. If you pay for it with after-tax dollars the benefit is tax free. Some companies are stupid and make it a pre-tax deduction.

Individual disability insurance is available but messier.

Actually read the policies. For instance, my new death and dismemberment policy doesn't cover air travel where I'm pilot or crew or the insurance company owns the plane.

Aflac denied me due to skydiving. The 8 supplemental disability insurance companies I tried all denied me. 4 for skydiving. 4 for my job. None of them cared about the motorcycle, ironically enough.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have a hospital income policy that pays me $250 per day in the event that I am in the hospital overnight. It pays up to 365 days, and if I go into the ER ( not overnight) it pays 5x that amount $1000. I am 52 yrs old and it cost me $250 /year. It does not exclude anything including skydiving. My health ins covers my injuries but this policy covers my loss of wages. I'll never cancel this coverage.