WooHoo

Before The Box Position

Before the now standard belly to earth 'box' position, was accepted as the standard norn. What was the suggested freefall position given to aviators?

I have seen some black and white footage taken in the early 50's of a test jumper, arm crossed over belly reserve and legs together, he appeared to be slowly tumbling in a head up position.

I know in WW2 pilots were told to clear the aircraft and pull, but wondered if there was another position (Early FF pioneers perhaps!!)

From War Department Technical Manual TM 1-44 (Jan. 10, 1941):

"It has been observed...that many jumpers, when leaving an airplane head-first, draw up their legs, which invariably causes a rapid 'somersaulting' of the body before the parachute can be released. This often results in the release of the parachute at an instant that it is underneath the wearer. When thus released, one or more suspension lines are occasionally drawn violently over the inflating canopy, resulting in frictional burning of the silk."

HW

Before the now standard belly to earth 'box' position, was accepted as the standard norn. What was the suggested freefall position given to aviators?

I have seen some black and white footage taken in the early 50's of a test jumper, arm crossed over belly reserve and legs together, he appeared to be slowly tumbling in a head up position.

I know in WW2 pilots were told to clear the aircraft and pull, but wondered if there was another position (Early FF pioneers perhaps!!)

""Back in the day" (late 60's) I think the freefall position for sport jumpers was called the "frog".

I think the term box position started in the late 70's mid 80's.

Sorry but thats the best i can do, I just had my milk & cookies and now it's time for my nap.:P

R.I.P.

We need some old timers to finish the list and put it all in order with some approx dates

I can guess going backwards

mantis
box man
frog modified
frog
iron cross (I think I heard of something like this for Airborne training)

old guy body positions from the 60's

anyway, nothing a good viewing of Fandango can't fix

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This video shows someone NOT in a hard arch, from 1974. It's easy to see the body position as there is no gear getting in the way of watching.

The body position is easy to see at about 1:30 onto the video, the knees are low. Looks like an attempt to fall faster, but not using an arch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVvMGLJ0xww
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

This video shows someone NOT in a hard arch, from 1974. It's easy to see the body position as there is no gear getting in the way of watching.

The body position is easy to see at about 1:30 onto the video, the knees are low. Looks like an attempt to fall faster, but not using an arch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVvMGLJ0xww

Wow, great video.

That's a very different looking flying style.

Look at that camera on his head! That's a pretty big box coming off of his head.

Thanks for that.

I think the position in the '60s was known in the U.S. as the "French Frog Position", as it originated there.

That the way we remember it. But we were a little fuzzy on the ""French" part and since it's now 45 years later I'm not sure if the term is PC.[:/]

Some folks think the US is the Daddy of skydiving. DZ.com has opened my eyes to the fact that skydiving it truely a international sport.B|
One Jump Wonder