gsxrjumper720

MTV Putting skydivers in jeopardy

There is a new show on MTV called Nitro Circus staring Travis Pastrana a world class Moto X rider. The show is funny an all, they all put themselves in harms way by doing stupid stunts. Like backflipping a tricycle over an 80 foot gap. But on this last weeks episode, I was a little put off. They were jumping from a helicopter over a lake and challenging each other to see who could pull the lowest. They even showed Pastrana getting a couple line twists as he was coming in hot on one of his jumps. Sure it's funny and all to watch on TV, but what is this teaching all the new jumpers to the sport. Is it cool to pull as low as you possible can? Am I the only one who thinks that this is going a little far? Any way, just thought I'd see what everyone here thought about it.

Here is the link to that part of the show:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/342098/altitude-abuse.jhtml#id=1605146
Life is way too short not to enjoy every minute of it :)

Skydiving and stunts are not the same thing. Are you suggesting that these people should not be allowed to perform these stunts? Should race car drivers be charged with dangerous driving? This is the kind of thinking that got Bill Cole banned from CSPA for base jumping in the 70s.

> Am I the only one who thinks that this is going a little far?

Naah, no more so than any action movie that has parachutes in it.

Now, when the Road Rules chicks started going at each other and I had to break up the fight - THAT was putting skydivers (me specifically) in jeopardy.

> Am I the only one who thinks that this is going a little far?

Naah, no more so than any action movie that has parachutes in it.

Now, when the Road Rules chicks started going at each other and I had to break up the fight - THAT was putting skydivers (me specifically) in jeopardy.

That is hilarious! When was this?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

>That is hilarious! When was this?

In 2001. It was the Real World/Road Rules Challenge in Cabo, and they hired us to take all the contestants onto a beach via tandem. I figured it would be an easy way to make a few thousand bucks and do some skydiving in Cabo.

Boy was I wrong. I had to break up fights, coddle crying women, find "skydiving licenses" for an officious mexican bureaucrat, and find cellphones that worked so the talent could "call their agents." While we were there we had to deal with a GPS spot that was 1200 miles off, satellite phones that didn't work, a hurricane, pickpockets and nasty hotel managers. I earned my money that week. And I made a grand total of one jump.

Oh, and it was originally planned to start at the end of September in 2001. Then we had that little event in NYC that shut down air travel in the US, so it all had to be rescheduled.

It was pretty cool to jump into a beach in Cabo though.

The only thing criminal about that was the music they were playing.

+1:S

I didn't see any real evidence of low pulls on that video. Hard to judge, what with telephoto lenses available and all the editing done. Unless I hear some real numbers from the participants of their opening altitudes, I'll just write it off as hype.

What I saw that I didn't like were the cutaways above the water. Those looked disturbingly high, and have killed a number of jumpers over the year. It's tricky to judge your altitude over water, and looks benign enough that some impressionable noobs might want to try that. :S

The only thing criminal about that was the music they were playing.

+1:S

I didn't see any real evidence of low pulls on that video. Hard to judge, what with telephoto lenses available and all the editing done. Unless I hear some real numbers from the participants of their opening altitudes, I'll just write it off as hype.

What I saw that I didn't like were the cutaways above the water. Those looked disturbingly high, and have killed a number of jumpers over the year. It's tricky to judge your altitude over water, and looks benign enough that some impressionable noobs might want to try that. :S

You might not want to look too closely at PDs videos, then. As I recall, there was a 4-person low cutaway into water on one of them on their web site, and I would think that PD would have far more clout than MTV among newer jumpers.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

>That is hilarious! When was this?

In 2001. It was the Real World/Road Rules Challenge in Cabo, and they hired us to take all the contestants onto a beach via tandem. I figured it would be an easy way to make a few thousand bucks and do some skydiving in Cabo.

Boy was I wrong. I had to break up fights, coddle crying women, find "skydiving licenses" for an officious mexican bureaucrat, and find cellphones that worked so the talent could "call their agents." While we were there we had to deal with a GPS spot that was 1200 miles off, satellite phones that didn't work, a hurricane, pickpockets and nasty hotel managers. I earned my money that week. And I made a grand total of one jump.

Oh, and it was originally planned to start at the end of September in 2001. Then we had that little event in NYC that shut down air travel in the US, so it all had to be rescheduled.

It was pretty cool to jump into a beach in Cabo though.

In '99, the Real World/Road Rules challenge included
an accuracy event. For some reason, I don't think that any of them had 10 skydives. The landing area
was painted like a bullseye.

One girl was called Princess A--- because she walked
around with a tiara on her head sometimes (but mostly her attitude).
She was amazingly hot, but she always had an excuse why everything was not her fault.
"I lost because I hurt my ankle."
"That happened after you landed. That didn't affect
your accuracy in the competition."
"Whatever."
:ph34r:

The producers-nephew-MTV-stars kept selling their total coolness to the women skydivers.
My fav quote was, "Look, Sport, I deal with a bunch
of jacked-up adrenaline junkies at the dz every
weekend. Try not to bug me."

[whine]it hurts so bad, it hurts so bad, it hurts so baad[/whine]
Yeah, real cool dude. Red Bull must be proud of you:D

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

In '99, the Real World/Road Rules challenge included
an accuracy event. For some reason, I don't think that any of them had 10 skydives. The landing area
was painted like a bullseye.

Pretty sure these are the two injuries that resulted from that competition:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=120

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=121

No descriptions (who runs that site??) and I can't watch em right now, so I'm not 100% sure that those are the videos I'm thinking of.

Dave

MTV isnt making do any of that...half of those videos have ben out for a while if you actually watch all the DVD's that they sell on the nitro circus website!

Travis is a crazy fuck...cool guy though!! Hope he doesn't go in one day

Crater looking for coordinates has never had a better example! Of course it could be any multitude of things that do him in.

Flying inflatable rafts, backflipping tricycles over 80 foot gaps, cutting away at 30 feet above the water (Im just through 2 episodes:D)

Sweet show though. Imagine if the average dropzone had access to some of those toys:oB|
BASE 1384