markovwgti

1.333 Wingloading with 160 jumps....

well its off by far buddy

Maybe so, but its still a funny phrase. ;)

So I have a question for the experienced crowd now:

Would a 1.3 WL (jump numbers dont matter but for you tight asses who wont let that go we will say 1000 jumps) be considered more performance from obtaining it with a smaller wing, or more weight on a larger wing?

ie. 1.3WL on a 210 or 1.3WL on a 135 or smaller?

And for those anal retentive types who will just preach every wing is different, lets say a Sabre II.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

And, like all of the others that replied with the "tough talk" that you don't like, you are free to post your opinion here. As long as the posts are within the forum rules, they stay.

I just think its the wrong approach thats all

Thanks ozzy13....thats all im trying to say here...how would you guys feel if you were at work and you asked someone a simple question...and they bombarded you with tough guy talk and would never stop bothering you about it....i mena if he was on a 170 he still coulda spun the canopy up...so you guys dont have the right to say all this shit to him just cause he didn upsize like you all wanted him too...im sure alot of you have done some stupid shit and no one has seen it

im my opinion he has more balls then half of you to actually post the video online knowing what all of you Group PA removed by slotperfect said to him on here...he knew you people were going to see it....he knows what he did wrong..he obviously wants others to learn from his mistakes...but instead of taking it in and maybe learning something from it you have to gang up on him some more and write even dumber shit.....

like i said this is like high school...the kid did something dumb...im sure he is in some shit at his home dropzone...back off and go do something usefull with your life...he knows what he did wrong

well its off by far buddy

Maybe so, but its still a funny phrase. ;)

So I have a question for the experienced crowd now:

Would a 1.3 WL (jump numbers dont matter but for you tight asses who wont let that go we will say 1000 jumps) be considered more performance from obtaining it with a smaller wing, or more weight on a larger wing?

ie. 1.3WL on a 210 or 1.3WL on a 135 or smaller?

And for those anal retentive types who will just preach every wing is different, lets say a Sabre II.

it would be a much more high performance flying canopy on a sabre 2 150 with a 1.3 WL rather then that on a much larger sabre 2 with a 1.3 WL!

And, like all of the others that replied with the "tough talk" that you don't like, you are free to post your opinion here. As long as the posts are within the forum rules, they stay.

I just think its the wrong approach thats all

As someone stated earlier, when you are working with people you praise in public and reprimand in private. Great when you are in the physical presence of the individual. However this is a chat group (to point out the obvious). And the internet is nowhere near as effective communication tool as face-to-face.

It sounds like Marko has taken this lesson to heart and hopefully it sticks. Sometimes people go back to their old ways after the lesson fades. Hopefully not in this case.

If the lesson sticks, great! Cause it was physically painless and only the ego has been bruised. Most "Marko's" I have seen need to break themselves before they learn the hard lessons of the ground. The sport can be very unforgiving for those who dont know their limits and dont listen.

It may seem like people are piling on Marko, and saying "told you so", but sometimes you have to punch someone in the gut to get their attention.

I am glad that Marko posted the video as I will use it as an example when working with other junior jumpers who want to downsize too quickly so they have the chance to learn from the mistakes of others before they make it themselves.

It may seem impersonal, however there are some very good lessons in this thread once you strip out the emotion and venting.

Blue Ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

I am glad that Marko posted the video as I will use it as an example when working with other junior jumpers who want to downsize too quickly so they have the chance to learn from the mistakes of others before they make it themselves.

I thought the video was a really interesting learning tool as well because it's something that's usually not brought up in the "should I downsize" discussions. Most of the discussion is spent on whether or not someone can handle the increased speed on landing (particularly when things don't go right - off landings, obstacles, getting cut off in the pattern, etc.), and that's where it's most likely someone's going to break themselves if they're not ready.

But seeing that video made me realize that high wingloadings and lower experience add another dimension that jumpers with lower experience may not have considered - are you ready to handle a wingloading that can be more prone to malfunction if you deploy with poor body position and/or any asymmetry in the harness? Are you ready to handle a wingloading where it is easier to induce a spinning malfunction of the type marko induced? If your first malfunction is at a high wingloading, are you ready to handle it? Obviously there are many, many jumpers who make it to thousands of jumps and to higher and higher wingloadings without malfunctions, but maybe by the time they get their first one, they've seen malfunctions like marko's at higher altitudes under larger wings and have the altitude to get out of them rather than being at an altitude where they're forced to cut away, and they've learned a thing or two and when they do get the first real chop it's not quite as much of a surprise as marko's experience was to him.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

"As someone stated earlier, when you are working with people you praise in public and reprimand in private. Great when you are in the physical presence of the individual. However this is a chat group (to point out the obvious). And the internet is nowhere near as effective communication tool as face-to-face."

Publically praise would be in this thread for all to see, privately censure would be a post directly to Marko. This way you get your point across without embarassment.

PM rec'd from skydriven to me:

"Right now marko has alot more to teach other skydivers then you....what can 12 jumps teach you?"

Well, if Marko can teach people and he has 200 jumps, surely I can teach someone something with my almost double amount of jumps. I'm a coach so technically, I can teach people. But thanks for looking into that before coming on and attacking ME about it.

And yes, by watching his video there is a lot that he can teach people. Plenty of things to learn by watching that video.

You made a reference about getting bombarded at work. Only difference is, we are not working here, we are talking about a sport that we all engage in and how to help someone not kill themself. Huge difference.

Bottom line, he asked for opinions, I gave mine. And I don't feel bad about one bit of it.

Does anyone else smell a sock puppet or is it just me?

I smell it! I smell it!

Coming on here, straight to this thread, defending Marko and personally attacking the people whose opinions he didn't agree with.

Hmm...

>how would you guys feel if you were at work and you asked someone a
>simple question...and they bombarded you with tough guy talk and would
>never stop bothering you about it...

I think a more accurate analogy would be:

How would you feel if you walked into a Harley biker bar and told everyone "I have a Kawasaki 650R; ain't it great?" and had everyone bombard you with tough guy talk and would never stop bothering you about it?

You might feel bad - but it would be the result of your asking the question in a Harley biker bar. If you felt very bad, you could leave, and perhaps find another bar where people liked Kawasakis, and would tell you "hey, great bike man!"

To blame the patrons of the bar for not liking Kawasakis would be silly.

Well i feel like the biggest idiot for what happened..im pretty embarassed i dont want to even post on here anymore...i had a long talk with an instructor at my DZ right after the incident...im taking a cnopy control class on saturday and sunday of this weekend and i am going to upsize to a 170 for 25 jumps or until my instructors think im good to go!

i just posted that video so other people can learn from my mistakes...ill be that idiot who it happened to...ill take the heat for it...i put myself out there and you all know who i am...im happy if it will save lifes and cutaways form newer jumpers to come from seeing my fottage and how bad and quick shit can go wrong.

Im sorry WTF are you talking about lol. The bike thing is a choice. Some people like kawi's some like Honda's and some like Harley's ( im a Harley Man :ph34r:) Makro came on here asking what people thought about his wing loading . In a arrogant why i might add. Now we are all skydivers here or love the sport at least. So the bike thing doesn't make sense to me. People with more experience bashing him for the question doesn't make sense either. Maybe sending him a email that he is a retard for that would be ok but to do it in a open forum i dont think its right. Its not helping anybody. Ill tell you why I think that lol
Now some other new guy or gal has a question that he/she wants to ask wont after reading this in fear of getting bashed for asking.

Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Maybe sending him a email that he is a retard for that would be ok but to do it in a open forum i dont think its right.

OK partner, we get it: You don't think the approach is right. Carve that in stone and let's move on. The OP has created his own happy ending to this whole situation.
Arrive Safely

John

Well i feel like the biggest idiot for what happened..im pretty embarassed i dont want to even post on here anymore...i had a long talk with an instructor at my DZ right after the incident...im taking a cnopy control class on saturday and sunday of this weekend and i am going to upsize to a 170 for 25 jumps or until my instructors think im good to go!

i just posted that video so other people can learn from my mistakes...ill be that idiot who it happened to...ill take the heat for it...i put myself out there and you all know who i am...im happy if it will save lifes and cutaways form newer jumpers to come from seeing my fottage and how bad and quick shit can go wrong.

Hey, marko. Glad your only injury was to your pride and I'm really glad you did come back and post. It sounds like you've got some great mentors working with you and I hope your canopy course and time on the 170 goes well. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Marko and I exchanged some emails and I hope that I can shake his hand one day and put all the bullshit in the past. He realized what happened and is going to do what he's got to do to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

He is in good hands. I know the instructor he talked to and he will be good to go.

Marko, hope you realize I wasn't trying to be a prick, bro. I was really only looking out for you, dude, regardless of what anyone says. Be easy and stay safe, brotha.

NO one wanted you to feel like an idiot, or be embarassed. We just wanted you to see the light and readdress you situation. I hate that the line twist happend at that altitude, but better that than you bounce!!!!! Ego's are easy to fix;), you just did by posting your regrets to your fuckup. Glad your OK.

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!