markovwgti

1.333 Wingloading with 160 jumps....

A good rule of thumb for asking for advice in these forums. If you have to defend yourself, you are doing something wrong.

No one here is taking shots at you but you are tryin to justify everything you do rather than take the advice that is given. If you aren't going to listen to advice, don't ask for it, and don't expect sympathy when we cart you off the DZ in a stretcher.

I'm going to go ahead and throw some money in that pool if its still going.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I will throw some money in, too...but my bet is on the OP being just fine at 1.3 wl. I have been at 1.26 since jump #28 with not just S&TA approval but recommendation as well.
And yes, I have been cut off on final twice. Once around 120' and another around 40'. The first I flat turned away, the second I flare turned (slowish flare transition into a turn - the partial flare slowed me enough to make a slow braked turn).
Flame away, I am used to it. [:/]

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I have been at 1.26 since jump #28 with not just S&TA approval but recommendation as well.

With this type of expext advice I don't see how anything could possibly go wrong. People learn a lot in 80 jumps and should feel indignant when people with thousands of jumps disagree with their expert opinion. In my opinion it is always good to have a jumping prodigy contribute thoughts and insights into this forum ESPECIALLY when they are encouraging a jumper to defy conventional wisdom based on their experience and knowledge. Perhaps this will open up a debate where we can all learn why new jumpers should take more risks.

I'm willing to learn. Please explain your thought process crotalus01.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

>but my bet is on the OP being just fine at 1.3 wl. I have been at 1.26
>since jump #28 with not just S&TA approval but recommendation as well.

Once in college I drove home when I could barely walk. I made it home OK. Therefore I bet that people who are very drunk will be fine if they drive themselves home.

Early on in my climbing career I tried a roped solo of Triple Direct on El Cap. I got about 6 pitches up before I took a pretty bad fall, and I realized how bad it could have been had I been hurt without a partner. So I backed off the climb and was not hurt. Based on that, I bet that anyone with a few seasons of climbing under their belt can solo El Cap and be just fine. As long as they're careful, of course. After all, nothing bad happened to me when I tried it.

The above are examples of the logical fallacy of assuming that whatever you survive is safe to do. History has shown that that is definitely not true.

I will throw some money in, too...but my bet is on the OP being just fine at 1.3 wl. I have been at 1.26 since jump #28 with not just S&TA approval but recommendation as well.
And yes, I have been cut off on final twice. Once around 120' and another around 40'. The first I flat turned away, the second I flare turned (slowish flare transition into a turn - the partial flare slowed me enough to make a slow braked turn).
Flame away, I am used to it. [:/]

cut off on final TWICE?!?!?! Thats unbelievable. I've never heard of that before...Can you teach me this "slowish-flare-transition-turn-to-partial-flare" that you did at 40ft? Sounds amazing...

B|

You say "flame away, I'm used to it". Do you think there is a reason perhaps why you get flamed when you make posts like this? You sound like a 12 year old. I would love to meet this S&TA that RECOMMENDED you load your canopy @ 1.26 JUST off AFF with 28 jumps. You are out of your mind.

I would love to meet this S&TA that RECOMMENDED you load your canopy @ 1.26 JUST off AFF with 28 jumps. You are out of your mind.

I was on a 150 semi eliptical at 40 jumps loading it at 1.32, Didint seen to be an issue for me.
I wanted a 170, but my instructors, the DZSO and CI all said go for the 150.
Not all people think the same way.
Try being a little more open minded;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

WOW!!!!! You downsized again bro!!!!!! 1.52 WL now on a saber2 135

With only 200 jumps and downsizing twice within 40 of them....I would have to say...

"If you are going to be stupid, you had better be tough"
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

a couple of hours ago you had a 160 reserve... Good thing you downsized on that too!!!! Now your reserve has a WL of 1.7 :S Good for you go big or go home. After all why would you need a bigger reserve??? :o:D

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! right?

-db-

PM sent with names...

Can I post the PM on this thread???? That would be great.

Feel free to post my PM to you, The instructors that approved my w/l and canopy choice are no secret - do you think I would grace you with their names if they were embarressed by what they advised??
Please correct that Chris was a RD not a ND like I originally posted (sorry all).

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

What do you guys think about that?

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=a652x

here is a video of this guy today. Maybe he should be asking himself this question. Lucky to be alive. He is now a poster child add for sky hook lol

here is a video of this guy today. Maybe he should be asking himself this question. Lucky to be alive. He is now a poster child add for sky hook lol

He also needs to do something with that slider either pull it down behind his neck or get some slink hats and keep it hi.

For those of you who can't be bothered to watch it, here's his own description of it:

I Pulled at about 3500 feet, checked the alti when i opened my chest strap a bit and stowed my slider, did a few turns....i guess i did a bit too hard of a turn to the left at the end and it threw me into a line twist, It was my first spinning line twist so i hesitated...i should have gone right for the reserve since it was very low, i then went for the handles and couldnt get the damn cutaway handle out...finally got it out but i was freakin very very low! Skyhook saved my life here i believe. Main landed 15 feet to the right of me.

Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Whoa, that is scary.
Less talking, more flying.

He also had video of a chaotic 7 way freefly jump.. with basically noone in frame the whole time. Got some crap about it in the freefly forum and ended up removing it.

Cutaway video was as scary, if not worse than the big way clusterfuck of a freefly jump. He'll learn sooner or later.

For those of you who can't be bothered to watch it, here's his own description of it:

I Pulled at about 3500 feet, checked the alti when i opened my chest strap a bit and stowed my slider, did a few turns....i guess i did a bit too hard of a turn to the left at the end and it threw me into a line twist, It was my first spinning line twist so i hesitated...i should have gone right for the reserve since it was very low, i then went for the handles and couldnt get the damn cutaway handle out...finally got it out but i was freakin very very low! Skyhook saved my life here i believe. Main landed 15 feet to the right of me.

Hopefully all the junior jumpers who wonder why the "old timers" normally give advice against downsizing too quickly watch the video and then read this thread from the start.

This was a self induced malfunction below the hard-deck caused by poor canopy flying. If it was on a Stiletto, the OP would have been in a world of hurt if he lived. However it was Sabre 2 and he got away with it.

Seen a lot of Junior Jumper Wonders come and go over the years and have grounded a few too when they just wouldn't listen. Nice of the OP to post a video proving the point so quickly after this thread started.

As was pointed out awhile ago, most of the juniors will get the hint and take the advice.

To the OP...... don't die skydiving.

Blue ones,

Major Dad
CSPA D-579