markovwgti

1.333 Wingloading with 160 jumps....

so what your saying is that if im coming if for a straight landing not trying anything but just going for a normal landing.....and a jumper with 300 jumps tries to swoop for the first few times with a smaller canopy then the one i have....that we both have the same chance to get hurt...how the hell can i hurt myself as bad as he does if i am doing a much much safer basic landing technique>?

Because you do your much safer landing straight into an obstacle you didn't see at altitude (sooner or later a pilot will dump you too far off the airport to make it back, perhaps after the winds pick up, perhaps when your group takes too long climbing out) and can't turn to avoid it. Or you turn to avoid a canopy flying the wrong direction in the pattern and your standard toggle turn puts the canopy into an attitude from which it cannot recover at low altitude. Or the wind changes and you turn into it like everyone else rather than making a down or cross-wind landing and that turn runs you into the ground.

Ever since the advent of modern ZP canopies the incident reports have been full of "not hook turn type people" who didn't have the low-turning skills needed to avoid people and obstacles.

IMHO you're safer adding speed to a larger canopy when everything was right (current, made a few jumps that day, steady winds, no traffic) than being stuck with the speed and control sensitivity when things are going wrong under a smaller canopy that you usually land "safely."

The number of jumps at which you add speed, how much, and by what mechanism is a separate issue.

yeah guys i havent physically or emotionally hurt you or talked bad about you in anyway and your taking bets on me to see if im going to bouce or not...thats really cool...reall immature and childish

:|

Call us immature and childish or sick-o's or what-not, but if you're around this sport long enough, you'll see someone die... you'll know someone who dies... you'll bury a friend or do an ash dive for a friend... you'll come to believe in Black Death... and of those dead folk, you just might remember one of them saying something like, "I can handle it" or "acting like it can't happen to me... it'll be some other guy or gal"... we all think that to various degrees... but I don't know anyone in the sport, myself included, that... 1) Isn't, wasn't, won't ever be so good as to not possibly die doing this... and... 2) Doesn't get somewhat more conservative or more calculating about what they do in this sport or, if nothing else, more realistic of what can happen to you doing this skydiving thing, because no shit - it does - we've seen it... busted ourselves up... seen friends busted up... or seen someone (maybe a friend) dead; oh and they don't look like they just laid down and went to sleep peaceful like there on the ground, there's blood and can be gore and can be missing limbs and if you've ever looked into lifeless eyes, they'll chill you're sole like never before. So, sorry about the $20 on you crack, I hope it doesn't apply, but it might and like it or not... the fact that any of us can die doing this not withstanding... hang around this sport long enough and not be ignorant of the signs, you'll develop that sense, when the hair goes up on the back of your neck, about some folk or types of behavior or attitudes from some that might, just might, make them a bit more apt to be one that goes in... a phrase I learned early on, "Too Stupid To Live". So, a bounce board... or bounce bingo... if someone seeing their name up there with folks buying "shares", if it causes someone to re-think something in a better way, well, sorry if there's hurt feelings along the way. You might feel differently after you bury a friend or two or see someone you thought was "so good" get hurt or die. :|

Okay... I'll get off the soap box.

Still waiting for the requisite "but Dude... I have Mad Skillz" post.

My personal fav has always been the guy who handed Johnny and I his camera with the statement, "Video my landing, it is going to be cool."

He was only 3 ft short of an excellent pond swoop, but did bounce into the pond after his femur broke.
He ended his 300th jump with a helicopter ride.

What do you guys think about that?

I think if you bounce it will hurt, cause serious injury or death, and it will change not only you but the people who's lives you have touched - some of it will be good, some of it not so good.[:/]
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Umm its a sabre 2 150, my rigger says he thinks its fine for me to be doing it. My wingloading when i had my sabre 2 170 was 1.2. And i had a good 60 stand up landings,...ive had my share of practice with it

I think your rigger has given you absolutely terrible advice. I think you should stick with the 170 for a couple hundred jumps, learn to fly the piss out of it and become an awesome canopy pilot, and then downsize.

Downsizing from a 170 at your level is just plain dumb. You're putting the cart before the horse. Slow down, stick with the 170 and learn.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

thats bullshit....put your money where your mouth is ;)

You're trying really hard to make light of something that has obviously hit home with you. You've made a very bad choice in your main canopy. The odds are that within the next 200 jumps you will either hurt yourself or you will be dead.

Enjoy your freefall since under that canopy there's a serious chance you will die. I just hope you don't end up flying into some other good person under canopy and kill them too. If you want to be stupid and hurt yourself or die, that's fine. Just don't do it at my DZ and don't take any of my friends with you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

so how about everyone sends $ in my paypal account....and when i do bounce....ill send you back double what you sent me!!!! ;)

You won't sending anyone anything... you'll be DEAD :S
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Since you are asking what people think, my personal opinion is that you have no business under a parachute with a loading like that. Right now since you are not able to take anyone's advice and seem to be looking to find some way of justifying jumping a parachute at that loading confirms it. From your profile you are doing about 55 jumps a year. What is going to happen when you aren't current under this parachute?

I don't personally believe that you will get current under this parachute doing that number of jumps a year. They are spread out and you won't gain anything from jumping it. You will only lose. You should go back to your previous loading and get some more jumps under your belt and try to get a little more current and do more jumps every year. If you want to talk about currency with me please do. I have done almost as many jumps as you have in a 24 hour period. But judging on the way you are reacting to all of this, you will try to sell it to your self that you are able to handle this parachute. A false sense of confidence will bring you nothing positive in this sport. Think about living and safe yourself now before it is too late.

At some point, things get a little too heated to get any productive information out of some of these threads.

Why not take some time and read the Downsizing information? Why not go through the checklist?
Give it some honest thought.

Ok, people may be a little overzealous in predicting your demise, but snapping some major body parts is not an exaggeration. There is stuff that doesn't ever heal right. Fifty years of aches is not really worth it.

Take a canopy class. You want to fly in the middle of your comfort level for a while. If you don't know where the edge is, you may be over the edge of your skill.

Worst case, what is the harm in waiting another 6-12 months to downsize?

Have some experiences for a year. If you are not planning on quiting skydiving this year, it is all still good canopy learning.

What do you guys think about that?

well...it`s about your health..you wanna gamble about that go ahead, i guess you could land a Velocity 96 once, twice maybe 20 times with your experience without hurting yourself...but keep it your mind that when you downsizing a canopy, everything happens allot faster than you expecting and that`s really fun..but the fun part could take a "break" if you can`t handle unexpected factors like other jumpers in your way, turbulence, not reaching to the original LZ and have to land in a small road with overhung trees downwind(yes that would happend sooner or later). So think about it, if your planning on doing this in the long run it wouldn`t kill you to take it easy with the downsizing..
Take it as a friendly advice:)

all these people saying your moving too fast.

personally, I like to move fast...

it is fun..

let me know when your around atlanta, I got an 84 I would like you to jump.

if that goes well, I will get you the 58.. that should put an end to all this nonsense.

no shit, I am not kidding. you wanna jump it, bring it on.

all these people saying your moving too fast.

personally, I like to move fast...

it is fun..

let me know when your around atlanta, I got an 84 I would like you to jump.

if that goes well, I will get you the 58.. that should put an end to all this nonsense.

no shit, I am not kidding. you wanna jump it, bring it on.

i would rather not sir...that is beyond my confidence level.....thats just dangerous!!!! Very Dangerous

Doing 200mph every day on your motorcycle... now that's f'ing nuts. Sabre 135 is way safer than that.. not even kidding. Seriously.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson