chriswelker

DZO putting his money where his mouth is

from skydivekingair.com

West Tennessee Skydiving as initiated our "Jump Buddy" Program in which each AFF Graduate Student is assigned their own personal Coach to jump with them, at NO charge, on each and every jump until they receive their "A" License.

The Coach will develop the student's skills until all items on the USPA "A" License proficiency card are completed.

This is an unprecedented program in the Skydiving industry and provides a value of over $800 to all our students!

This is sport promotion.

Chris

This is an unprecedented program in the Skydiving industry

This is GREAT, but I wouldn't call it unprecedented. There are many dz's that offer free coaching. My home dz has been doing it for over 40 years.

I think (or maybe just hope) that we'll see more of this. Making it a little more affordable to get started can help new jumper retension.

This is GREAT, but I wouldn't call it unprecedented. There are many dz's that offer free coaching. My home dz has been doing it for over 40 years.

Really? 40 years of commiting, in writing, to a personal coach ro see them through to the 'A'. I find that hard to believe.

A culture of helpful experiecned jumpers who readily assist and jump with the newbies? That I would easily believe, but that's not the same thing they're talking about.

Some people don't believe that you can get your A license (if you do it in 25 jumps) for $740 at my dz either, but it doesn't make it untrue.

And no, its not a "personal coach" as in the same person on every single jump, but there is always an instructor to jump with.

Don't get me wrong...I think this is great and I hope to see a more of it around the country/world!

The Coach will develop the student's skills until all items on the USPA "A" License proficiency card are completed.

Bet they're using the short version of the yellow card though, right? :P

That's really cool. Are coaches donating their jumps, or are they getting paid?

Dave

All coach jumps at my DZ are donated, as well as instructor jumps. The only one that gets paid is the DZO. Weird as it is, they wouldn't have it any other way.:S

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Bet they're using the short version of the yellow card though, right? :P

That's really cool. Are coaches donating their jumps, or are they getting paid?

Dave

We do use the short version so the student will get his free personal Coach for at least 17 jumps. The Student gets the Coach until he receives his "A" License, which may be well after all the requirements, other than jump numbers, are met.

Our Coaches have always donated their time. In the past the student paid the Coaches slot, now the DZ picks up the slot.

The student's personal Coach is also tasked to contact his Student at least once a week, encourage him to come out, develop a rapport, and make him feel like he is an important part of the skydiving community.

The retention rate in skydiving is abysmal. We do not need any more Tandems, what we need is more licensed skydivers. This program is designed to promote the sport through retention.

As for the "unprecedented" claim, I do believe that no one as put all the aspects of this program, as described, into play and guaranteed in writing. I do know that there are other DZ's that do offer free coaching, have for many years and I applaud their continuing effort. So, give me a little break for some advertising hype aimed at giving potential students an incentive to get their license.

Mike Mullins

The retention rate in skydiving is abysmal. We do not need any more Tandems, what we need is more licensed skydivers.

....say it again brother! sounds like a great program. Hopefully even with the economy in the shitter you will have a ton of students this summer taking you up on this offer and becoming licensed jumpers.

That is awesome. You have done something right to find the right crowd at your dz to support this.
ChaosKitty has been trying for a couple of years to get me up there. This is just more incentive to support your dropzone (even though I really love mine!)
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

We do use the short version [of the "a" license Prficienct Card] so the student will get his free personal Coach for at least 17 jumps.

Mike, I think you meant to use the term "generic" proficiency card. There is no "short" card, at least as far as the items on the card. The number of pages is not a reflection of the content, due to filler space, graphics, notes, etc.

There continues to be a belief among many skydivers that the ISP oriented card is "superior" to the generic card, but this is not true.

Actually, the generic card describes in more detail many of the items to be learned.

We do use the short version [of the "a" license Prficienct Card] so the student will get his free personal Coach for at least 17 jumps.

Mike, I think you meant to use the term "generic" proficiency card. There is no "short" card, at least as far as the items on the card. The number of pages is not a reflection of the content, due to filler space, graphics, notes, etc.

There continues to be a belief among many skydivers that the ISP oriented card is "superior" to the generic card, but this is not true.

Actually, the generic card describes in more detail many of the items to be learned.

Gary,

You are correct but to further clarify for our readers, rather than a "generic" and "non-generic" card the cards are named "Proficiency" and "Progression", that is there is an "A" License Proficiency Card that is 2 pages, and there is an "A" License Progression Card, which is 4 pages and neither one is considered superior to the other, just different for different programs.

However, a lot of people do refer to the 2 page as the "short" and the 4 page as "long" simply due to the number of pages, and not the content.

Mike

RoamingDZ trip???

Yeah!! Bring one far enough north that we get to jump with the cool kids!:)
Fitzgerald sounds like a great place, but it's a 20+ hour roadtrip for me.:(
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So you are saying Instructors ( AFF and Tandem) pay several hundred dollars to get there rating and work for free. Letting the DZO make all the money and are proud to do it. Am I reading this right?

I think helping students out is great.

What are you charging for coach jumps to the student?

Just slot and paying for the coaches slot or you charging more to cover the coaches slot.

I didn't get into coaching or instructing to get rich. I got into it because of the love of the sport and to off set the cost.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

So you are saying Instructors ( AFF and Tandem) pay several hundred dollars to get there rating and work for free. Letting the DZO make all the money and are proud to do it. Am I reading this right?

If so what are you guys smoking down there. I want some. I don't mind helping the next guy out but working for free not me.

I am not sure you understand the program, but our Tandem Instructors and AFF Instructors are paid, I believe very well, for all Tandem and AFF Jumps. Tandem Instructors receive $50 per jump using DZ gear, $75 per jump using their own Tandem Rig. AFF Instructors receive $50 per jump for single instructor AFF and $35 per jump for two instructor AFF.

Before our "Jump Buddy" program, Coaches received a free jump for jumping with a student, the student paid the Coaches slot. No money went to the DZ, other than paying the slot.

With the "Jump Buddy" program, Coaches receive a free jump, the DZ pays for the slot, the student pays nothing other than the student's slot.

Our Coaches have never been forced to jump with students but have always been happy to jump with students for the free jump. Now they will have a lot more opportunity as each student will receive at least 17 free Coach jumps. Before the program, students would typically only do 1 or 2 Coach jumps due to the added cost.

It does indeed seem that whatever our Coaches smoke, it gives them the incentive to jump with our students for a free jump and are "proud" to do it. I also assume that our students who are now getting at least 17 free Coach jumps will also be willing to do the same when they become Coaches.