ripcord4

Broken Fibula

Thanks everyone! I see my Ortho doc next Wednesday so hopefully I will be released from my walking boot then. I have a list of questions for him about jumping again - I'm in no rush actually. I'll wait as long as he says and a bit longer for insurance on my old bones. PLF's for certain - even though it didn't help on the runway!

Let me second and put in bold what skittles said.

DO NOT MAKE A HABIT OF SLIDING IN ON YOUR BUTT!!

When you do this you are only one fuck up away from a fractured spine.

====> AGREED!!! I actually cracked my Coccyx bone on a jump landing on my ass. The Dr. told me immediately to get a spinal MRI. I would rather do a "Superman" face plant now than land on my ass again!
(and have).
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

The first ortho doc/surgeon I saw wanted to put a plate on my fibula and a screw thru my ankle. I got a second opinion from a different ortho clinic and the consensus from a group of doc's in that clinic said put a cast on it and your good to go. I guess what I'm trying to say is all breaks are different and before you let someone go and put metal in your body get at least a second opinion.

I've never understood why it's OK to use your back as a shock-absorber if you haven't calculated well enough to use your legs.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

:| Sorry about the break, Fibula is a tricky bone. It is also a known non healer. It controls allot of rotation movement of the ankle. If the mortis is not disturbed and its a simple break you are looking at 6 months. If it is truly non displaced fibula fx, cast 1 month, boot 2 months, PT 2 month. Otherwise plate and screws and its about 3 months.
If you are in a boot, treat it like a cast. The last thing you want is a nonunion of the fracture where your orthopod gets to break out osteotomes and refracture the bone then plate and screw.
Good Luck!
TB
www.skydivehouston.com

I've never understood why it's OK to use your back as a shock-absorber if you haven't calculated well enough to use your legs.

Wendy W.

====> I never said to use your back .... just a PLF rather than a "sit-slide". Done halfway correctly, I think a PLF would disperse the shock of meeting Terra Firma pretty well!
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118