stitch

Would your DZ let you use a Baser system to skydive.

It'd probably be OK with them if I wanted to.
Of course, I already have extensive training in jumping rounds and conventional gear :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It'd probably be OK with them if I wanted to.
Of course, I already have extensive training in jumping rounds and conventional gear :ph34r:

Wendy W.

Keep in mind the types of mains used are free packed, use mesh sliders and are often taken to terminal velocity. :ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Would depend on the jumper. I can think of a great many people who should not jump one.

>Many seem to think because it carries a TSO the DZO, S&TA, or pilot
>has to let you jump it. It is my understanding that is not so. Anybody
>want to dispute this ?

?? The DZO, S+TA or pilot don't have to let you jump _anything._ DZO's could require all the jumpers at their DZ to jump 22' rounds if they wanted to.

1st off, what's a Baser ?? See below.

http://www.thebaser.com/

Many seem to think because it carries a TSO the DZO, S&TA, or pilot has to let you jump it. It is my understanding that is not so. Anybody want to dispute this ?

They let me jump an old 4-pin rig with a 1967 Paracommander, capewells, and chest mounted reserve. While the DZ owns the planes + hangers and could tell me not to jump it I doubt they would.

The old dudes might tell me I needed french boots, a double zipper Pioneer jump suit, and a bell helmet to go with the chest-mounted reserve.

No problem. In fact I would love to have one around to use as a training aid for those who wish to start base jumping.

All you can teach them is slider up stowed terminal deployments. Not jumps, as you cant simulate dead air out of an aircraft unless its a balloon or helicopter. And for one, i can tell you 95% of my BASE jumps are not terminal and most are low, slider off hand held freefalls. Meaning packing is not even close to the same as it is for terminal.

Why not get a BASE canopy, an old student container and save a fucking huge fortune.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

A lot of us started jumping on rounds. My previous rig had a round reserve in it ... until it was condemned for failing an acid test ... So I can't see a problem.

as if you ever SKYDIVE these days.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Why would you simulate a 3 second delay from the hill of an aircraft? I done that on my AFF Hop n Pop.

Why spend all that cash when you can freepack and BASE canopy into a student rig?

To stimulate the economy. Namely..........Sonic's. :P
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

>Why would you simulate a 3 second delay from the hill of an aircraft?

Because you'll get experience with packing for a 3 second BASE delay.

>Why spend all that cash when you can freepack and BASE canopy into
>a student rig?

Because packing a BASE canopy into a student rig isn't the same as packing a BASE canopy into a BASE container.

The reason I like the BASEr is that it's a decent BASE rig even with the additional fittings to accept a round reserve. Which means that you'd be practicing packing on the same rig you are going to jump on the BASE jump without having to disconnect/reconnect risers or change your packing procedures.

>Why would you simulate a 3 second delay from the hill of an aircraft?

Because you'll get experience with packing for a 3 second BASE delay.

Are you seriously recommending taking a 3 second out of an airplane where you already have airspeed, even with a cut, with a slider down/slider off pack job ?? :S

All I can say is.......OUCH !!
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

>Are you seriously recommending taking a 3 second out of an airplane
>where you already have airspeed, even with a cut, with a slider
>down/slider off pack job ?

Well, would you take a 3 second delay off the Perrine with a slider down pack job?

Yes. I have many times. I was also leaving from more or less a dead stop. Not in a 40+ mph wind. 3-4 second slider down delays are rather brisk.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I still don't think we're on the same page here. Let me give you an example;

For reference, I'm 240ish out the door. Over the holidays I did a currency jump from a 182. Hanging from the strut, with a cut, I was horizontal. When I released. ( correct me if I'm wrong here ) I went backwards faster than I went downwards. Because of airspeed.

When I leave a fixed object I go downwards vertically a lot faster than I go outwards horizontally, because the only horizontal speed I get is from pushing off/running off the object.

IMO thereis going to be a major difference in opening shock on a slider down canopy. regardless of the delay, when taken from a fixed-wing aircraft vs. a fixed object.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"