stitch

Would your DZ let you use a Baser system to skydive.

>um, I read the title of the poll and the title of the thread -
>"Baser system". Nothing about main parachutes.

Right. And my point is that even though the BASEr (when used with a main and an approved reserve) is 100% legal, that does not mean that DZO's will automatically allow it. They prohibit other sorts of rigs that are 100% legal.

Why would you simulate a 3 second delay from the hill of an aircraft? I done that on my AFF Hop n Pop.

Why spend all that cash when you can freepack and BASE canopy into a student rig?

To stimulate the economy. Namely..........Sonic's. :P

you just want to stimulate something of sonics :P:P:P

hehe

D
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

A lot of us started jumping on rounds. My previous rig had a round reserve in it ... until it was condemned for failing an acid test ... So I can't see a problem.

as if you ever SKYDIVE these days.. :P

Ouch .. you cut me to the very quick. Get your arse over to the U.K and lets jump.

you better make sure you bring your rig next time you're over here! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

to clear up some misconceptions that i have seen forming in this thread..the baser is NOT a round canopy system.

the main is a square base canopy. there is a round reserve in the belly mount which should never be used. its really just there to keep everything legal. on a real base jump you will not have a belly mount on.
the system is for getting to know your gear, flying the canopy 10-20 times before you are jumping off a bridge and have never flown the canopy before. this gives you plenty of practice on THE CANOPY and helps with your gear fear.

i put about 20 jumps on sonics system out of a plane this last summer BEFORE making my first base jump at bridge day this summer. i had no gear fear and knew exactly what to expect when that baseR opened.

as far as sonic teaching a FJC with 11 base jumps, andy, i invite you to come over and have a listen to his course before you badmouth something you have never witnessed yourself. It is a fantastic course with alot of good information and know-how. It seems to me like alot of people love to jump on the bandwagon when one person has something to say, but this is how it is with most things in life. People talk and voice opinions on something they know nothing about first hand. Sonic is plenty experienced and has learned alot about base jumping from miles daisher. What he learned from miles he has taken and soaked up into his GIANT head along with what he has gathered on his own and he shares that with jumpers who want to get into the sport of base jumping.

Personally i think sonic is doing a tremendous service to the sport. Its a shame some people cant also see it in this light. But its even more of a shame that all of those people have also never taken the time to listen to what he has to say and take his FJC for what its worth.

i commend sonic for busting his ass and putting this gear out there and for dealing with the naysayers who dont have the first idea of what his course even entails..

kudos to you sonic.
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

>on a real BASE jump you will not have a belly mount on.

Really? Because during Sonic's talk at PIA, he listed the reasons you would want to do BASE with the belly mount.

>this gives you plenty of practice on THE CANOPY and helps with your gear fear.

Actually, you don't need a Baser to get used to flying your canopy. You can do that with any skydiving rig that will fit your main.

Buddy,

your opinion on what's good for the sport and on ones teaching methods matters dick when you have very little clue about the sport.

while I appreciate your input, I disagree with what you say on the principle that you have very little clue what you are talking about.

don't get offended, just think of how one-sided and subjective you sound with 1 BASE jump and coming from the Ranch.

peace.

"you people" ???

if you cannot take constructive criticism from someone who has enough information to formulate logical conclusion - don't ask that person for their opinion.

PS I was certain I made it clear that I am not trying to offend you, but to speak my mind.

PPS I personally think BASER is a great concept - but it does not mean that 30 skydives on a BASER make you ready to BASE jump. All they do is make you comfortable with that particular gear. It does NOT A FUCKING THING to teach you exits, site evaluation, wind evaluation, ethics, etc. As such, it gives people a false sense of security, which in turn leads to the new generation of jumpers. By "new generation" I mean the CURRENT jumpers. Dayblazing their "firsts" that have been jumped under the cover of night for years, blasting youtube with objects otherwise unknown to the outsiders, having the yahoo attitude, and lastly - DISPENSING ADVICE BASED ON 1 BRIDGE DAY JUMP.

FUCK THAT, if that means I will be called a dick, so be it. But like I have said before - just because I understand the concept of swoop, and talked to competitive swoopers, that does not make me a good mentor to future swoopers.

The fear from most people in the Base community is that Sonic's course may lead an over-anxious student with low jump numbers to think he is prepared for Base from just taking the course. Then this student goes out finds a low object goes off unstable and ends up in the incident list.

You make think this sounds absurd, but there are several fatalities on the BFL that follow this pattern.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

if you cannot take constructive criticis
It wasn't. :)

don't ask that person for their opinion.

He didn't :P
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

It does NOT A FUCKING THING to teach you exits, site evaluation, wind evaluation, ethics, etc. As such, it gives people a false sense of security, which in turn leads to the new generation of jumpers. By "new generation" I mean the CURRENT jumpers. Dayblazing their "firsts" that have been jumped under the cover of night for years, blasting youtube with objects otherwise unknown to the outsiders, having the yahoo attitude, and lastly - DISPENSING ADVICE BASED ON 1 BRIDGE DAY JUMP.

What wasn't constructive about that?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

teach you exits, site evaluation, wind evaluation, ethics, etc.

Ethics: dude base is changing for better and for worse. You can try to stop it but it is inevitable. Its been turning into a yuppie sport more and more for the past decade ( I know I'm one of them).

I think the baseR is a fun thing for skydivers to use and I think it also helps slightly with getting familiar with jumping your base packjobs out of planes. Of course it does not subsitute for true base course but is nice for a little pre course activityB|
Na' Cho' Cheese

I think the baseR is a fun thing for skydivers to use and I think it also helps slightly with getting familiar with jumping your base packjobs out of planes. Of course it does not substitute for true base course but is nice for a little pre course activityB|

and that's the whole point of what I wrote. Here dude got trained to use BASER, did 1 jump from NRGB and he already has knowledge of which training technique are proper.

>In the real world most skydivers don’t want the idea of BASE to interfere with
>what their idea of skydiving is…

And vice versa. In the real world, many BASE jumpers would not want their extreme-ness, radical-ness and "you-wouldn't-understand-dude"ness tarnished by association with those timid skydivers.

not all skydivers like BASE jumpers. not all BASE jumpers like skydivers. The BASEr seems to try to bridge the gap and bring peace and understanding to both parties. Both are being a bit resitant to it.

Somehow reminds me of the middle east situation... weird

So, you're saying the BASEr is the George Bush of rigs, or did I take a wrong turn.

Early on BASE jumpers actually thought they were furthering the sport of skydiving. We were soon told otherwise. Apparently it's like legalizing marijuana or being gay in the military.

In my opinion BASE is skydiving, but skydiving is not BASE. Now that's weird...