stitch

Would your DZ let you use a Baser system to skydive.

No problem. In fact I would love to have one around to use as a training aid for those who wish to start base jumping.

All you can teach them is slider up stowed terminal deployments. Not jumps, as you cant simulate dead air out of an aircraft unless its a balloon or helicopter. And for one, i can tell you 95% of my BASE jumps are not terminal and most are low, slider off hand held freefalls. Meaning packing is not even close to the same as it is for terminal.

Why not get a BASE canopy, an old student container and save a fucking huge fortune.

Usually when people want to learn to fly their base canopy they whine and snivel until the dzo lets them take a student rig out of service, usually for longer than they promised.

I bought an airworthy Javelin J7 with an adjustable MLW and a Raven 4 and Sharpchuter last year for $900. Easily big enough to take anything from a 260-322.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

>I went backwards faster than I went downwards. Because of airspeed.

Well, actually, you went forwards a lot faster than you went downwards.

Your canopy doesn't really care what direction you are going in when your canopy opens, at least in terms of opening shock. It doesn't care if you're going 60mph because you just took a 3 second delay or you're going 60mph because you just exited a Porter doing 60mph and are deploying right away. In both cases, same airspeed.

Are you trying to confuse me ? It's working. :D

Are you saying I reach 60 MPH on a 3 second delay from a fixed object ? I somehow doubt that.

I've got a challenge for you. Take any rig you want with a freepacked tailpockect eqquiped canopy ( a D-bag may stage the opening enough to make it bearable ) and tie the slider down to the front risers. Then jump it out of any fixed wing aircraft you like with a 3 second delay. Get video. I'll pay for the camera flyers' slot. But I'm not paying for any medical bills.

Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Are you trying to confuse me ? It's working. :D

Are you saying I reach 60 MPH on a 3 second delay from a fixed object ? I somehow doubt that.

It's a good approximation.

Initial acceleration is at 32 feet/second^2. The first couple of seconds you can't do much aerodynamically because you don't have enough drag; so you're accelerating about that fast. 60 MPH is 88 feet per second which is real close to 3 seconds of acceleration at 32 feet/second^2 less a smudge from when drag starts to become significant.

>as you cant simulate dead air out of an aircraft unless its a balloon or helicopter.

Uh - right. And you can simulate 3 second delays from a Cessna or a Porter. It's a nice option for BASE training.

For timing perhaps but no, it's nothing like a dead air exit and holding position for 3 seconds.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

From memory.

1 second 16 feet
2 seconds 48
3 seconds 96

So about 60 would be right. I'm willing to do that from a fixed object but no an airplane, even if it can go under 60 mph airspeed at exit.

>For timing perhaps but no, it's nothing like a dead air exit and holding
>position for 3 seconds.

Right, we were just talking packing practice. For exit practice, balloons/helicopters are the way to go.

Gotcha. So were you suggesting slider down or slider up?

edit: or were you just throwing in the airspeed argument for the heck of it?

>Are you saying I reach 60 MPH on a 3 second delay from a fixed object ?
>I somehow doubt that.

32fps or 20mph per second acceleration due to gravity. 3 seconds = 60mph. (Minus a mph or two for wind resistance, which starts out at zero and climbs slowly.) Most BASE jumpers I've noticed who decide to take a three second delay (especially newer BASE jumpers) wait closer to two second, and thus perceive a slower airspeed when they deploy.

>Take any rig you want with a freepacked tailpockect eqquiped canopy ( a
>D-bag may stage the opening enough to make it bearable ) and tie the
> slider down to the front risers. Then jump it out of any fixed wing aircraft
>you like with a 3 second delay.

Well:

1) I've done that with a freepacked BASE main, mesh slider (up, not down) 42" PC and BASE bridle from a King Air - but as they can only slow down to 90mph I wasn't willing to go slider-down at those speeds.

2) I'm not talking about a 3 second delay. I'm talking about exiting from a Porter/Cessna and deploying immediately. That's similar to a 3 second delay from a fixed object in terms of airspeed. And again, that's for purposes of learning to pack, not how to exit.

An old beat up student rig is going to cost less than Sonics gear.

Considering my only true malfunction (and legitimate cutaway) was my BASE canopy packed without a bag, very neat, into a old vector - there are certain advantages to BASE containers for freepacked canopies. And - I can say with a good deal of confidence, wingsuit deployments in a BASE container are different than with any pocketed corner rig - and I would not use an old vector for any low wingsuit deployments... And there are certain non-DZ aircraft you can jump from and open low, but the TSO thing is a good thing to have so your friend, the pilot, does not get screwed.

Back when I wanted to practice certain skills before jumping off a bridge, I would have rented (not purchased) the BASER, if available, so I could practice and experiment with certain packjob techniques both wingsuiting and freefalling - before using a similar rig for a real fixed object jump.

By my first BASE jump, I had over 100 dead air exits (skydive balloon and tall bungee jumps), so I was pretty confident I wouldn't screw that up. Before my first wingsuit BASE, I had tons of balloon jumps, some with my BASE container... No matter how much you do to practice/research, there is always the first time with gear...

And - I have some nifty ideas on how to make my BASE packjobs better, but I don't want to try in the BASE environment where err kills more often. This is where the BASER could be used.

But what do I know... You clearly are an expert, by your posts. :P It is clear by your attitude here and on BASE Jumper.com, you have something against the BASER and Sonic... I on the other hand have kept a rather open mind.... If my pocketbook was full, I might even own one for experimentation.

If my pocketbook was full, I might even own one for experimentation.

Same here. If I had the extra money I would purchase one just for it's uniqueness/ versatility. For some reason, and I'm not trying to slam Sonic, I just don't think the concept is going to catch on and they won't be manufactured for too many years. We'll see.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

A lot of us started jumping on rounds. My previous rig had a round reserve in it ... until it was condemned for failing an acid test ... So I can't see a problem.

----------------------------------------------------------
let me guess, was it a 22' sac?;) mine passed and 11 others didn't.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

A lot of us started jumping on rounds. My previous rig had a round reserve in it ... until it was condemned for failing an acid test ... So I can't see a problem.

as if you ever SKYDIVE these days.. :P

Ouch .. you cut me to the very quick. Get your arse over to the U.K and lets jump.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

My problem is not with his gear, Its with his FJC. I've heard enough from Ranchers about his FJC. Gives all the people the right tools to kill themselves because they've done a few slider up BASE packjobs out of an aircraft. He is teaching a BASE FJC with 11 or so legal bridge jumps. Thats my problem.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

>this thread is not about main parachutes - the thread is about a container
>system.

No, this thread is about whether a DZ would allow a given system (even if it's 100% legal) to be jumped at a DZ. I know DZO's, for example, who do not allow round reserves - even though the harness/container system and the reserve are 100% legal.