mxaexm

how much for a beginner's rig?

thinking of getting into skydiving. (Already had one jump at Sky Knights Wisconsin) and I loved every second of it!!

Once I will have my A license I would like to own my own gear, the question is how much would be a used but good rig (including AAD etc)

btw I'm 5'11'' and close to 200lbs (I'm fat!lol)

I would say for a new-ish rig with an AAD at least $3500.

I got 3 year old Aerodyne Icon, Smart Reserve 160 for $1700 from an instructor at my DZ.

Then I was given a Sabre 170 by a packer there (thanks Montana!). I got a new line set for it.

Everything including a reserve repack, line replacement and attaching the reserve (I washed the container when I got it) cost me $2260 out the door.

That does not include an AAD
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Was a day away from financing a brand new rig from my DZ at 35 jumps. Got a call from my buddy that had just moved away looking to sell his old rig.

(in May of 2006) got a '95 Jav with a Sabre 170 with a new lineset and PDR 160. Bought a new slider and used Cypress for a total of $2,000. Best decision I ever made. Definitely get used for the first one. I still bought used for my second (dream rig) but knew what I really wanted.

My advise is to buy some 90's rig for the first one. It will be florescent and ugly but you will love it the same as a brand new rig because it is yours. Later on you will look back and be happy that you waited to buy new until you knew what you really wanted in a rig.

My first rainbow bright Sabre1 was such a good canopy to me. So was my old school Jav. This is good gear to buy because you can learn so much on it and then pass it on to the next generation of newbie jumpers to take advantage of.

I got a sidewinder rig with a sabre 170 (larger slider too with beauty soft openings) also came with a cypress 1 with i think 6 or 7 years left. It fits like it was custom fit for me. Paid $2300 cdn for it
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Also, as everyone has said, don't buy brand new for your first rig. that can be upwards of $7k for custom everything for something that you will likely be done with in two years.
Given that you are posing this question, I am assuming that like most of us, you are lacking that magic money tree in your backyard.

I'm starting on my 7th season, have owned two used rigs, and am only now pondering my first custom container for sometime next year, after two more downsizes.

I'm 6' 220, so I feel your pain on having to buy big and work through all the spectrum on your way down to wherever you want to end up for canopy sizing.

Good luck and have fun.

At least for now skydiving will be one of my many hobbies that's why I don't want to invest too much money into a brand new rig etc...I really don't mind buying used stuff....I just don't want to compromise safety in the process of trying to save some bucks...

Just got my new to me gear for $3700.00 the rig is 5 years old with only 12 jumps on the whole thing and it included a cypres II that already had the 4 year done. Great gear is out there if you search for it.

BTW I came across this deal when doing the research on another rig I was looking at. You never know where you'll find something.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!