BaronVonBoll

Non jumping spouses

Does anyone here have a significant other that doesnt jump? If so how do you get them involved in what you arte doing. Or do you? My wife and I like to travel and I can see myself looking up drop zones in every area we may be going! do many familly member just hang out and socialize while the jumping spouse gets in the plane? how about at boogies. are there numbers of non jumping folks who go? How are they treated by the jumping comunity?
My wife wont get into a plane much less jump from one. but she is great fun to be around and who knows a nurse might be needed sometime!

Just wondering!

My wife is a non-jumper that I can only say has been very tolerant of my jumping. She would not come hangout all day but we live close enough to the DZ where I spent most of my time and she would come out at night. If I went a distant DZ and something special was going on she might come. Because of the events we have organized over the years she knows a fair number of people in the sport.

One thing you need to consider is for a nonjumper the DZ is a pretty boring place.If she makes friends easy she might do fine at the DZ but then again maybe she would rather go shopping.

My young lady doesn't jump and will certainly not pick it up.

As such I take two kinds of vacations;

(1) Jumping. With buddies. Hardcore jumping out of and off of everything we find.\

(2) Strictly with the young lady, no jumping. Enjoy the culture of wherever you are.

Each is awesome, but to mix them would detract from each.

Just what works pour moi.

Stages of your jumping addiction and relationships with non-jumpers:
-She hates that you jump
then
-She hates the people you jump with
then
-She hates you
Then
She marries one of your jump-buddies and goes through AFF.:D

Just kidding.
At *every* dropzone, you'll find spouses that don't jump but that come to watch, support, take photos, read a book, help out with barbeques, gossip, or go shopping while you're jumping.
I doubt there is a DZ on the planet that doesn't have non-jumping spouses on a regular basis.

My wife does not jump (yet).

She has been to the DZ once, to gain a context for where I hang out.

She likes that jumping gets me "out from underfoot" when she wants to rest after a hard week. B|

She has been remarkably tolerant of my jumping. That said, she is not fond of wingsuits, and is not happy that I am eager to buy one. As long as I use an AAD she is tolerant of my jumping. She has WAY too much faith in my AAD. Our son is grown up so The "Daddy Death" risk is not an issue.

She says that she would like to do a tandem some day. However, she is hesitant to invade the world that makes me happy at the DZ. We shall see.

We have been married 23 years...so a little time apart each week is not a big deal.

Actually, I have more trouble with my dog. She loves to go to the DZ! She really hates it when I go to the DZ without her. She hates it when I leave her on the ground to jump. I bet that she would love do do a H&P. However, she is 65 lbs and my landings aren't what they should be... not a good combination for jumping with a dog. [:/]

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

My girlfriend is a non-jumper and has no desire to jump. She has gone out to the DZ a few times, but it is incredibly boring for her. So I don't push the issue too much. I will still ask if she wants to go, already knowing the answer. She is concerned with the safety of the sport, but who isn't. One thing to do is not sugar coat the apparent safety of the sport. Also it helps if she has a hobby of her own that she is into. A hobby that is all her own. That way there can be a balance. Good luck!
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

A lot of girlfriends are lost due to this sport because when you say " I going to go jump today do you want to go?" They think you are going to the airport and get right on the plane and go right up and come right back down and then go to the movies or something. Not knowing it's going to be an all day event and half of the night. Then there is the bond issue skydivers have with each other and that can cause some jelousy.
Falcon 74, Eagle 110, NFS 407, GW-2945, DW-1641, DDW-1151, "Inga... elevate me"

I bought a 28 ft trailer for the DZ to help keep my G/F happy...DZ is a hour from our house...we take seperate cars so she can leave early on Sundays..

She has run a canteen/bbq to raise $$..but that got old fast...she takes pic's /video...but that too grows old fast...

I have offered her $10 a pack to learn how...but that got laughed at...

The deal is...I will be at the DZ when off work and the weather is good(and not good)...she can come if she likes.

No.....errrr...minimal bitching allowed :P

my wife doesn't jump at all, she is scared to even fly much less jump. She has been to the DZ a couple of times but finds it boring and dirty (lol)

in early December she drove me down to the DZ (we live a few minutes away) so I could do 1 jump since we were running a few errands and I just happen to bring my rig.

I wanted to impress her with a nice landing, so I ran into the packing tent and was knocked unconscious by the impact.

After refusing to let the paramedics take me to the hospital, I limped to her truck and she took me home and took care of me.

I was in immense pain on the way home and I recall moaning that I was done jumping, and she said dont say that, you are just in pain, she was right by the next day I was on the phone with the DZ (who called to check on me btw) to make sure my rig was fine, which it was.

I was off for 6 weeks, I got real lucky! Not just that day, but also when I married my wife! (even if she does cry on rollercoasters)
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Ditto to the other comments; this sport lends itself well to a loner, non-couple activity in that if your wife has no interest in jumping she is better off not with you at the DZ. My wife would rather do other stuff. The DZ is incredibly boring to non-jumpers, my wife went once when we took the kids to wind tunnel. (kids liked that) I do see couples and some older married ones that jump together from time to time.

My wife and I like to travel and I can see myself looking up drop zones in every area we may be going!

I have the perfect road trip for you. Go to Skydive Temple in Salado, Texas. The DZ is only about a mile from town. The town is the perfect "bed-and-breakfast-go-shopping-all-day-way-too-boring-for-guys" destination. She can stay in town and you can jump over the town. Bonus... There is lots of CReW there and Wendy is eager to infect others with the CReW virus.

I think if your s/o is not a jumper you have to make sure you have a balance between jumping and non-jumping activities. Luckily my hubby jumps too and this is not an issue for us. There are a lot of people whose s/o help out at the dz, hang out and some that don't. As for our jumping community...we are always happy to have them out.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

My wife is afraid of 1) heights (will not even go near the railing on the second level of the mall), and 2) airplanes, so my new sport is not well received here, to say the least!

However, she does see how much I love doing it, and knows I will go jump anyway. Although she sometimes tries subtle subterfuge to stop me from going, all she requires is a phone call AFTER EACH jump!

Once I am down safely, she needs a call. She will NEVER come to the DZ to watch me jump - ever - and I could envision her calling the local constabulary to see if I was okay if I did NOT call each time!

Still,,,it is what works here for now, at least.

Blue Skies, and Safe Landings Always,

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

It's not really possible to be afraid of heights in an airplane. Beyond 1000 feet or so, the brain doesn't really 'get it' that you're that high, it's not real, from a visual perceptual stance. You can be afraid of a lot of things in a plane, but heights really isn't one of them.

BTW, I'm fucking terrified of heights... buildings, cliffs, bungee jumping, ladders... I shake like a leaf and get violently ill. The only time it's been an issue in jumping is the first 1000 feet after liftoff on the hot air balloon jump I did. I was ready to go fetal on the floor of the basket, but it was too crowded to do so.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

all she requires is a phone call AFTER EACH jump!

That is funny!!! If my wife required that... I think I would do a full altitude H&P and call her from under canopy. I bet that would bring an abrupt end to mandatory phone calls.:)
If there was no concern of cell phones interfering with the aircraft... I would probably call from the plane..."Honey... there are some girls on this load who want me to do a horny gorrilla with them, would that be OK? What?? I can't hear you! Hey, the door is open... gotta go!" ;););)

My wife is a non-jumper that I can only say has been very tolerant of my jumping. She would not come hangout all day but we live close enough to the DZ where I spent most of my time and she would come out at night. If I went a distant DZ and something special was going on she might come. Because of the events we have organized over the years she knows a fair number of people in the sport.

One thing you need to consider is for a nonjumper the DZ is a pretty boring place.If she makes friends easy she might do fine at the DZ but then again maybe she would rather go shopping.

X2 My wife has done 3 tandems over the years. We also have many good friends from jumping. Sometimes she comes out mostly for big events. Sometimes she will come to a boogie with me usually if it is close to home so she can drive seperately. When i went to the Hellfish reunion she flew with us to Michigan then rented a car and went to visit her sister while I jumped. I can see how boring it would be to hang out all the time for a non-jumper and would never expect her to do that.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

If there was no concern of cell phones interfering with the aircraft... I would probably call from the plane...

It won't interfere with the plane, but is against FCC regulations because the phones can reach too many cells using the same frequencies/time slots/etc.

In practice it works up to a few thousand feet.

Nursing is a field that pays well. Have her pay for as many jumps as possible. :$

Actually she is the one who paid for my first five jumps. and the ground school. Didnt know what she was getting me into I think! She heard me talk about jump school in the Army and thought it wouold be a good birthday pressent. Now if I can just get her to buy me a rig!

I sent mind up for 2 tandems. She enjoyed them but is solid in the fact jumping is not for her. I am just as happy since she lets me go do my thing and she's free to do hers. Took her up gliding and maybe someday she will get her pilot's license. That would be funny if she started flying jumpers :P

-Michael

I guess you could call her my common law wife.. hates jumping and everything about it.
Hates that I spend money on it, hates that I get up early to go to the DZ hates that I talk about it. Everything to do with it.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.