regulator

Average price to assemble a new rig

Ok so my container is being built now and when it comes in my new PD Reserve will be sent along with it. I will purchase a new Cypres 2 in a few weeks before the container/reserve shows up, and I already have my main in my posession already. So when I get it all in and take it to my DZ what should I expect to pay the rigger at my DZ to put it all together. And would he pack my main for an extra 5 bucks or would he only assemble and pack the reserve and AAD and connect the main and send me to a packer to pack the main?

Thanks

Paul

The price depends on the rigger. So does the main pack job. Do yourself a favor and watch/help assemble the rig. Then watch the reserve pack job. Ask questions. Before it gets here, get on the manufacture's website and read the manual. Look how the manufacture wants the reserve packed.

You'll learn a lot and you'll build confidence in your rig!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Avg price should be somewhere between $75 and $125 depending on the rigger. Definitely watch and help them put everything together if they'll let you (which if they don't you should find someone who will). Another good idea would be to scotch guard the rig and allow it to dry before getting everything assembled.

What main canopy did you end up going with?

A used Sabre 2 190 from one of the winners at the Collegiate Nationals that was out at my home drop zone (skydive spaceland) in December. It has 170 jumps and the lines are nice and white and it looks like its in great shape.

awesome...that's what I've got in my back-up rig...great canopy, you'll love it

good luck getting everything put together!

I charge 100.00. With the assembly, I Scotchguard the rig, assemble both canopies and pack, include a bridle extension if needed, slider stops on the risers.

-Jon
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Mine was $120 AUD ($90 USD? about there).

Assembled/packed the reserve and fitted the Cypres2 before I turned up.

Went through step by step assembling and packing the main with him. Great info.

If I could go back I definitely would have watched the reserve repack.

Have fun on the Sabre2 190, I have a Sabre2 170 and I love it... landings are amazing on it.

Damn, is it really around 100 bucks like most people are saying? How much to just assemble the reserve? If it was me I would likely do the main assembly myself and save a few bucks.

Hell, I could even put the reserve on the risers myself, let the rigger know that I did it (just in case), and save some cash- thats like 4 jumps.

Edit: well, I guess I don't really know how to do the reserve toggles, so there goes that idea but 100 bucks seems kinda steep to me.

Damn, is it really around 100 bucks like most people are saying? How much to just assemble the reserve? If it was me I would likely do the main assembly myself and save a few bucks.

Hell, I could even put the reserve on the risers myself, let the rigger know that I did it (just in case), and save some cash- thats like 4 jumps.

Edit: well, I guess I don't really know how to do the reserve toggles, so there goes that idea but 100 bucks seems kinda steep to me.

My rigger charged $70 (a few years ago) to assemble and pack all of my stuff. After I watched him do it and saw how much trouble it was, how long it took, and how much he taught me about my gear in the process, I happily gave him $100.

You weren't paying attention. It's not $100 just to assemble the reserve. It includes attaching the main and packing the reserve.

and inspecting everything. that's the part i find takes the longest.

And it's more important than some folks might think.

Remember, this is the last inspection it will get before this never-jumped equipment will hold your body on a skydive. Yes, it was inspected at the factory. Yes, if it was made right it shouldn't even need an inspection.

But it's really fairly cheap insurance. A lot of nitpicky little stuff. What folks said about being there when the rigger does it is absolutely true, too. One of the best things you can do to keep your gear in good shape is to know what people look for, so that you can automatically look for it yourself.

You planning on doing your own packing, or will you be paying a packer most of the time? It's your life-saving gear. Know it, understand it, maintain it. When you understand it well enough, then is the time to assemble it yourself.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Assemble it yourself, then just pay for the reserve pack & aad installation.
That's what I did. (3 times) It's not very difficult. Take your time and make sure it's correct. Be sure to tell the rigger what you did, so he can double check. My rigger didn't charge any extra to check my work. (thats part of the inspection anyways) And, IMHO, YOU should be packing the main.

Well I plan on getting a packer to pack the main for the first 20 times or so until I know that my pack job is good enough then I'll do it myself and start saving the 5 bucks each time for someone else to do it. Initially I dont think I remember enough from my packing class to be 'quite' good enough to pack it myself but thats why I bought a used main so when I do start packing myself, it will be easier and not as slippery.

as for it being super slippery it should be ok if it has 170 jumps on it.......it is way worse when you are packing a brand new canopy - the earlier you start packing it the better off you will be at packing it. i am neurotic enough that if i don't like the way my main packs i pull it out and start over....:S:S:S:S

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Ok so my container is being built now and when it comes in my new PD Reserve will be sent along with it. I will purchase a new Cypres 2 in a few weeks before the container/reserve shows up, and I already have my main in my posession already. So when I get it all in and take it to my DZ what should I expect to pay the rigger at my DZ to put it all together. And would he pack my main for an extra 5 bucks or would he only assemble and pack the reserve and AAD and connect the main and send me to a packer to pack the main?

Thanks

Paul

Say what:S

Your spending $3,000:ph34r: for a new rig and your worrying about spending a extra $5 for your rigger.

The $5 is chump change and won't even change the minimum monthly payments on your credit card bill.

If your rigger is good at what he does:) he's your best friend, works his ass off for the money he's paid. Don't try and short change him. Or the next time you need something from him right away you may find out he's very busy.

Enjoy your gear, jump your ass off, don't sweat the credit card. Jumping is a expensive extreme sport.:D:D

R.I.P.

Damn, ... 100 bucks seems kinda steep to me.

Greetings VT. I can understand your thinking, however to do a thorough job it's a lot more time and effort than you might believe. I chose to just become a rigger and do my own. The ticket has allowed me a supplimental income, plus it gave me a good job for several years and I seldom had to pack reserves either.

Think of it this way.

A front brake job on a car with floating rotors and no wheel bearings to pack. A person can easily do that in 30 minutes including turning the rotors. I've seen book times of 1 to 1/12 hours.

Besides paying way more for the parts than you should, you pay minimum 1 hours labor at shop rate. You can get specials done at some shops like Midas but those type shops are the Kings of finding unnecessary but "suggested" work to pad the profit.

When any service is done, a break down of parts and labor is presented. Look at it and pay the man and wonder why you just paid 200 bucks instead of $79.99

Remember, brake jobs are often done by people that are not educated to perform the service or have any form of SAE certification. They do know how to look at a micrometer and determine one pad is wearing slightly quicker than the other. Time to upsell.

Example. In my driveway, I just did the brakes on my Toyota including packing the wheel bearings and replacing the rotors in an hour. I took my time since I don't have a lift. Brakes are easy, I'd take doing a brake job over a rig assembly any day. IT cost me something like 95 in parts because I needed rotors. It would have cost another 100 to 150 in labor... and the parts would have been double.

Take a rig from start to finish and if you're thorough, an efficient but prime quality assembly, inspection and pack job is at minimum 2 hours and more like 3. You have to be very very motivated to do everything in 2 hours.

A listed break down of services would surprise you. What do you get instead of a break down? A simple bill for 100 bucks. While doing the job is not a mystery, the task is very time consuming and physical.

If more people broke down the parts and labor charge for an assembly, people would not bawk at it.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto