spyker

Skymaster 290

Right, so I'm brand new to this with only 3 jumps to my name on SL.

The student gear we use has a Skymaster 290 (a bus) as the main. My question is, can I double wrap the brake lines around my hands to get more flare out of this thing?

Ask your instructor. I think that they say you should find the stall point while you are under canopy at a safe altitude. Then you will know how far you can go with it on final. Skymaster is a good canopy, ask the DZ if they want to sell it to someone. Thanks, Harry

Dieter,

In normal flight you will not be able to stall the Skymaster 290 canopies as they are specifically de-tuned (Brake lines lengthened) to add a safety margin for the student.

Wrapping the brake lines to circumvent this is not a good idea at 3 jumps. Self-induced stalls with your hands entangled with the stalling canopy can be ugly.
You’ve got more than enough to keep you busy… (Like clearing your airspace and flying the pattern.)

Don’t be in a rush….

JC

If you woke up breathing, congratulations!
You get another chance.

Don’t be in a rush….

And please stop thinking of your gear as "a bus".
This leads to the misconception that large canopies are "not cool" and to downsizing too fast.
You're a skydiver - what could possibly be cooler than that? :)
Stay safe

Besides, even with a bus you can do plenty of cool stuf. You just have to know your gear and how to get the best performance out of it.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Thanks for the info. Not knocking the equipment, it's great! I just want to know about improving the flare on such a large canopy.

Step 1 would be to make sure you are actually flaring all the way. Have someone else (like your instructor) watch and/or video your landing. I've seen MANY people, students and experienced jumpers alike, who thought they were completing their flare but really weren't.

As mentioned by others, talk to your instructor about this. They will have the best advice for your specific situation, and will not be happy with you doing things like wrapping the brake lines based on advice you got online.