sebinoslo

How to make an AFF instructor happy?

Hi,

i will be doing my AFF in 2 weeks and I really want to take as much as possible out of this.
And one way to do so, i think, is to know what instructors look for to think: "This guy is good" or at least "this guy makes my job really easy".

So any pre-AFF advices that I can take with me there to facilitate the process are extremely welcome.

PS: you can also mention what not to do ("don't be too smiley/relax" etc)

Thank you tons.
Sebastien

I like a student who is engaged and interested, but lazy instructors might disagree.

I am always impressed when a student knows what is covered on the jump, and is prepared with good questions that are related to the material we plan to cover.

Hopefully your DZ has some kind of syllabus or manual that will help you know what your next level involves. In addition to that I'd recommend reading the USPA Skydivers Information Manual (SIM) available free as a download or on-line document, or as a spiral bound book at a small charge. The Integrated Student Program is covered in section 4, with the flow of each jump and important information broken out by levels/categories. Each level concludes with a short quiz. The SIM is available at http://uspa.org/tabid/161/Default.aspx.

Read up on the jump, understand everything you can, and ask questions about the material you don't understand. Keep in mind that many instructors are busy during the jump day, but they are often available early or after jumping, and weather holds are a great time to pick their brains. So, good jump related questions are ideal while in the training session, and then follow-up with more questions and friendly socializing when the time-pressure is off.

Oh yeah, don't forget to smile and have fun!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Ask questions. In the 'down time' on the DZ, hang out on the packing mat watching packers and learning gear. Actually LISTEN to what we have to say... we're not out to rain on your parade, we're here to keep you safe... respect the experience that your instructor brings to the table. Ask questions (yeah, I said that once, but that's the most important part!). And HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Yeah, what Tom said.
That and buy beer, lotsa beer!

That's the part of the manual I know best actually...:)

I'm reading the USPA SIM right, I think I will cover one AFF level each day and the whole thing the last few days before going there...I'm gonna learn the whole thing in Swedish, being a Frenchman living in Norway. So yeah, a little extra prep work isn't luxury :P

I addition to what Tom Said, when the instructors are busy practice the dive flow you were taught on your own. As many AFF-I's multi-task doing either tandems or videos you can still prepare why they are busy. Even though an instructor is performing other tasks they will most likely notice you are reviewing and practicing what you were taught. This will show your level of commitment and your desire to succeed (I think it's fair to say most AFF-I's are pretty perceptive even while performing other tasks in the hangar).

We as instructors want to provide you every opportunity to succeed! The SIM has step by step objectives for each catergory dive flow. If you take the time to study the category dive flow you are on and rehearse it prior to your jump will better prepare yourself for your skydive.

Good Luck with AFF and let us know how it goes!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

a quick thanks to you all who spent some time replying to me and provided me with good words of support.

I'll make sure to keep a journal on how it goes.

The DZ is in Skånes in the south of Sweden, I'll write a post about it in case some of you end up in the Nordic countries some time.
It is a really cheap DZ too (roughly $1,100 for the complete AFF (incl. 10 jumps))

Hi,

i will be doing my AFF in 2 weeks and I really want to take as much as possible out of this.
And one way to do so, i think, is to know what instructors look for to think: "This guy is good" or at least "this guy makes my job really easy".

So any pre-AFF advices that I can take with me there to facilitate the process are extremely welcome.

PS: you can also mention what not to do ("don't be too smiley/relax" etc)

Thank you tons.
Sebastien

Listen well, ask good questions, and don't be afraid to stop your instructors and ask for clarification if you don't understand something. Also, don't be in a rush to get in the plane if you don't feel completely prepared. AFF is designed to go at your pace. It's designed for your benefit, not your instructors.

Also, don't worry too much about impressing your instructors. It's their job to impress you with the care and attention they pay to you.

Listen well, ask good questions, and don't be afraid to stop your instructors and ask for clarification if you don't understand something. Also, don't be in a rush to get in the plane if you don't feel completely prepared. AFF is designed to go at your pace. It's designed for your benefit, not your instructors.

Also, don't worry too much about impressing your instructors. It's their job to impress you with the care and attention they pay to you.

I like this response the most. It's supposed to be about the student, and if you need to be a pain in the ass asking questions, so be it. It's a challenging learning process, with many potential mental roadblocks.

and when you succeed, thank those who helped you achieve it, both with words and beer (or whatever is customary for your neck of the woods).

Don't say "But someone on the internet told me ......"!!!!>:(

Remember, advice here is like a piece of used chewing gum on the street. You don't know who it came from, where it's been, or what it's worth.

With that said reading the SIM, published by the USPA, is not objectionable.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The DZ is in Skånes in the south of Sweden, I'll write a post about it in case some of you end up in the Nordic countries some time.

Cool. Glad to have you aboard. Keep in mind that while AFF is practiced all around the planet, the USPA SIM is really designed for US standards and regulations. Some of the material may be different in your country, so go with the local knowledge when there is a conflict.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Keep in mind that while AFF is practiced all around the planet, the USPA SIM is really designed for US standards and regulations. Some of the material may be different in your country, so go with the local knowledge when there is a conflict.

Hi, of course this is something i keep in mind. i just try to absorb some of the best practices recommended regarding general controls and safety measures - try to build up a proper mindset. I'd rather know too many safety checklist items than too few.

Your instructors will teach you the safety drills you NEED to know...
be careful of what you read on the internet as someone above has said... its not always correct, and often not relevant to AFF level 1 ;)

The one thing I would advise is to practice arching (search this forum for exercises) and make sure you are as flexible and fit as possible

I still remember the gruelling session I got on a wooden bench perfecting an arch on the ground . and I hadnt prepared at all and really felt it the next day after several hours of running through the diveflow, on the ground, on the bench, in an arch :P

The one thing I would advise is to practice arching (search this forum for exercises) and make sure you are as flexible and fit as possible

Morning,

funny you mention cos this is what I tried yesterday after my training...And I kinda suck at arching :S So I make sure my training focus a bit longer on stretching for the next 2 weeks :)

be careful of what you read on the internet as someone above has said... its not always correct, and often not relevant to AFF level 1

Also, the only thing I read off the internet is the SIM (that has to be a reliable source of information right ;)). Otherwise I just look at pics and videos but do not try to find out advanced training methods or stuff like that.

The best thing I read somewhere what that skydiving is like learning to be in a new element, just like walking is for earth and swimming is for water. Gotta learn the baby steps before reading magazines about training for a marathon :D (Even though I'm a 45min flight from the sweet BASE spots of western Norway that are in so many videos...:))

I wish all of you a nice day
Sebastien