bigbearfng

Any DZs you wouldn't want your friends/family jumping at?

Any DZ that calls themselves a "Club" most that I have visited leave a bad taste in your experience.

Many do not meet the basic requirements of maintenance on their aircraft and use the guise of a club to use unrated pilots, and not perform 100 hour inspections. Most are poorly organized at best, leave a lot to be desired in training, skill, and knowledge! All of which are very important to the operation of a safe and professional DZ.

If they were to have these clubs so they could jump for their personal enjoyment, I would not have the concern, but they get involved in training to supplement their operation costs, and are seen by the public as a business, and this is not why they exist or how they operate.

Any DZ that calls themselves a "Club" most that I have visited leave a bad taste in your experience.

Thanks for the gross generalization.

There are some large and quite reputable dropzones, including mine, that are club operated and like it that way. One could make the argument that clubs are safer because there is no profit motive by a greedy individual to cut corners.

I think your opinion of club dropzones is not founded in reality.

- Dan G

Quite the opposite for me. One of the best DZ's i've ever jumped at was a club. Malone Parachute Club was one of the most enjoyable places i've been. Looking back knowing what I know now - it makes that place even better. I think they have moved to Vermont now and don't know if they still operate as Malone Parachute Club.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

One of the better DZs I've been to, the Ranch, in New York, is a club and it is a fantastic DZ. Of course the DZ I mentioned in my earlier post was also a club. Each DZ should be judged by its own merits and shortcomings, not generalized.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Thanks for the gross generalization.

There are some large and quite reputable dropzones, including mine, that are club operated and like it that way. One could make the argument that clubs are safer because there is no profit motive by a greedy individual to cut corners.

I think your opinion of club dropzones is not founded in reality

Sorry! It wasn't my position to offend anyone! Just the experiences that I have had in the past in dealing with the "Club" enviorment.

But if I recall correctly, many if not all of the posts naming the clubs they like, are mid size to larger DZs which are operated like a business with the club banner, to give the jumpers unity as a group, and imput to the operation? Again not attempting to piss on anyone parade, just my experience!

The Malone Parachute Club HAS moved to Northern Vermont and YES we do still operate by the same name. In response to "Club". Well, we have been a DZ for more than 35 years, teaching about 100 students a year. Brian Germain, Mike Swanson, Doug Parks and many other "notables" all started here. Ask them what they think of skydiving "Clubs".-Rap

Yes. Certain ones that have numerous Better Business Bureau and other complaints registered against them.

I would have to say that it really sounds like you are referring to the Skydiving Centers that are owned and/or operated by the company called Adventure Skydiving, AKA 1 800 Skyride, or Thrill Planet, all based in Cedartown, Ga.
There are three that I have found with minimal research that are owned and/or operated by them, Cedartown, Ga, Clarksville, Tenn. and Pennridge, Pa.
I would also recommend to stay away from any Skydiving Centers that do business with them as well. I have found that there are several in Texas and California that accept their reservations.
Be advised that this company is a very crooked company and the information that everyone is putting out here is very valid information.

Yeah... I can't believe I took my sister to jump there. I hated it so much I took my fraternity brothers there, they hated it so much and felt they were so unsafe they brought their girlfriends there a few weeks later to do it again.

I really really recommend avoiding it since i did some of my AFF there, have a few hundred jumps there, a few hundred bucks on an account despite living 2,000 miles away cuz i never want to go back. Bunch of scoundrels those guys are... I'll never go back four more times this year at least. Certainly not worth the red eyes and vacation time i earn for several trips annually. It also sucks landing next to the packing area and packing in air conditioning during the heat of the summer. Free bunkhouses are no good either. I wouldn't trust TMs and AFIs with over 10,000 jumps a piece if I were you- no experience, don't know what they're doing... Scary things happen when you own multiple turbine aircraft too, like getting to altitude too fast too many times per day. Their brand new student gear you cant trust either because it is new- you never know if it'll work cuz it is unproven. COUNT ME OUT!!!

:)
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983