bigbearfng

Any DZs you wouldn't want your friends/family jumping at?

First off I don't want this to be any specific DZ name bashing post because that's not my intent.

I've been trying to jump at a fair number of different DZs around the country, and am finding large discrepancies in safety; yes I know I've read about those things here, but after seeing for myself the different levels of safety I guess you could say it makes it more real for me.
When friends and family ask about either making a tandem, AFF or fun jumping I have strong feelings about where I recomend now! And there are DZs where I won't bother going to again because of this issue.
Have many other folk gone thru this, hmmm, is the right term "rude awakening"?
And I can't help but feel concerned for the first timers that have no clue!!!

I've only jumped at 8 different dz's so far, so don't have a lot to go on in that respect, but of those there is one I am not exactly fond of relative to your thread.

As for the "rude awakening" ... nope ... have talked with enough different folks over the years I've been in the sport to expect it and be prepared to use my own common sense when visiting new dz's. Some I've been to were very thorough about giving me an orientation, and one gave almost nothing even after I asked ... ... I just talked to some of the locals about outs, etc.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

There's one in Argentina that I've advised my co-workers to avoid. Their student program is pretty sketchy, and I'm seriously worried about what's going to happen after they get their hands on a tandem rig.
I got nuthin

I can think of one where I would jump there - its a fun place for anyone who can take care of themselves - but I would never send a rookie there. Why?

They had multiple big planes running, and my group was waiting for one and the other plane was boarding. I kid you not, I saw a tandem master and student run up, the TM was not wearing his gear yet. He had the student climb in the plane, he tossed the rig in, hopped in, and then the Otter took off - door open - student not buckled in - and TM standing in the doorway getting dressed during takeoff...

&*(&*(&* that!

Back when I had just under 200 jumps I was traveling the country and hitting up a few dzs as they popped up. Small ones, out of the way unknown places... When I got to one such place in one of the Dakotas (very beautiful place, as I recall) they asked me how long I was going to be there:
'Just passing through. One jump." That was met with disappointed looks. Then they asked if I would at least spot. I said I'd give it a shot but, "I've only got about 185 jumps, all ram air canopies mostly from Otters and a Porter." They felt reassured right away. "At 200 jumps you're the 'experienced' skydiver here. Sure you won't stay?"
Now I'm sure these very fine, decent people had only safety in mind and would never consider anything remotely unsavory or dangerous. But in my pinion they just seemed ill equipped to pull it all off and after landing, packing the first Zero P canopy they'd ever sen (a South-African thing called a Reflex. Oh, the memories!), I wished them well and hit the road again, only to get to another place in Montana somewhere where, when I phoned to see if they were operating that day they answered my question with the question, "Are you coming out?" "Well, are you operating?" "Depends. Are you coming now?" "Does it matter?" "Yes. If you'll come we'll send for the plane." I made their day and we all made the one jump of the day before I hit the road again.
That Montana DZ wasn't necessarily unsafe. Far from it. I think it was BJ Worth's and Hod Sander's home DZ. But I just like the tale.

I've never been at a DZ that I felt didn't take safety seriously or were below my standards in safety, maybe I've just been to the best DZs, then:)
What kind of discrepancies do you mean? Standards in the teaching of students? The condition or make of student or tandem gear? Condition of jump aircraft? Attitudes?

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I've been around enough that there are absolutely DZ's that I would not send a newbie to. Either because there are safety issues or because of business practices. I've seen things at DZ's across the country that have had me shaking my head and was glad I knew enough to know something was wrong and chose my actions based on that knowledge. There are a few DZ's I would never send anyone to, a few I'd only send experienced jumpers and only after I tell them of my experience there and let them make their own decision and a few I'd send anyone to. The worst situation is that a DZ might be fine but if they have an instructor I do not feel is safe then I would mention that to the person I was talking to.

When the question comes down to "Would I allow X instructor or Dropzone to take my mother on a jump" and if I hesitate at all with an answer then that is not a dropzone I'd send any newbie to.

A DZ that has their plane log books and copies of all the instructor certificates posted on the wall for inspection? I'd probably send anyone there.
A DZ that has people crack open a beer and then run off for a sunset swoop and chug after drinking? Experienced jumper no problem but newbies would depend.
A DZ that has is planes smoking or constantly leaking fluids and not maintaining them properly? No one is getting my recommendation to go there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think most dropzones I go to do a fabulous job - the only kinds I would avoid are ones that

1)Use Sketchy Student Gear. One I can think of off the top of my head. Racks and racks of gear I wouldn't put my my neighbors dog under, and they keep using excuses for 'safety' to not update it. There is an issue of pride there too - at least take CARE of your student gear... Don't just throw in piles at the end of the day...:|

2) A dropzone I know of that looks at a students wallet as they show up the first day, and they start salivating.

=========Shaun ==========

I've only jumped at 3 DZ's so far. Skydive Spaceland, Skydive Dallas, and Perris Valley Skydiving. I know I'm a newb myself but all of them teach safety and I'd recommend (and have before ) any of them. I guess I'm just lucky when it come to picking good DZ's.

Yes. Certain ones that have numerous Better Business Bureau and other complaints registered against them.

Same here. I don't send my friends to any of the ones that find any way to screw their customers as possible. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yes. Certain ones that have numerous Better Business Bureau and other complaints registered against them.

I would have to say that it really sounds like you are referring to the Skydiving Centers that are owned and/or operated by the company called Adventure Skydiving, AKA 1 800 Skyride, or Thrill Planet, all based in Cedartown, Ga.
There are three that I have found with minimal research that are owned and/or operated by them, Cedartown, Ga, Clarksville, Tenn. and Pennridge, Pa.
I would also recommend to stay away from any Skydiving Centers that do business with them as well. I have found that there are several in Texas and California that accept their reservations.
Be advised that this company is a very crooked company and the information that everyone is putting out here is very valid information.

I would also recommend to stay away from any Skydiving Centers that do business with them as well. I have found that there are several in Texas and California that accept their reservations.
Be advised that this company is a very crooked company and the information that everyone is putting out here is very valid information.

I was wondering when someone would get around to this.
Good luck not doing business with skydive centers who do business with them if you want to jump in several areas of the country.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Unfortunately a lot of the real 'safety' issues you can't see unless you are on staff.... you can only see the superficial safety things... you can't tell if tandem gear is being maintained, if the plane is being maintained, if a plane being down for the season is really due to the FAA grounding it or not, and those are the kinds of things that don't get talked about publicly and that some DZs will blatantly lie about.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I showed up at a small cessna DZ one day to make a few jumps. As I pulled up, I saw the load of skydivers pushing the plane back to the hangar from the grass runway. As I started talking to them I learned that as the plane was taking off, the pilot felt a serious vibration and aborted the takeoff. As the plane came to a stop, the strut on the front wheel collapsed.

Soooo.....they pulled out their second C182 from the hangar and started "pre-flighting" it. That consisted of the pilot jumping in and attempting to start the engine. It wouldn't start immediately so they began troubleshooting it. While they were doing that I decided to check out the packing area and office and such.

When I went in to the office area there was a white board that had the tail numbers of the two aircraft and their annual inspection dates recorded. The dates were over three years old. (I realize this could have simply not been updated, but come on, the data was there for anybody to see.)

I went back out to check on the progress of the airplane. They had pulled a spark plug which had corroded the electrodes together with no gap.

I'd seen enough. I packed my stuff and left.

You mean a place like that?
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

nbblood- that's an awesome example!!! No I've never seen it that bad....yet!
In answer to a few questions and comments-
There are DZ's that I would also only advise experienced up-jumpers to go to. And others that I wouldn't advise anyone to go to!
I really like the above comment regarding if you would hesitate at all about letting your own mother jump there.
As far as specific safety issues, it runs the list from obvious shitty aircraft (though not as bad as nbblood's example!), no use of seatbelts, tandems going in whiteout conditions from exit solid down to 1000ft, really sketchy tandem landings due to conditions, etc etc.
And I realize the TIs working the tandem mills have a lotta pressure on them to keep jumping, but at a certain point....come on, you are responsible for someone else's life too!

I've run into a few here and there. One of the things I like to do is get to the DZ and hang out for a little bit and get a feel of the place and observe what all is going on. The first time I may only do 1 or 2 jumps (if it feels right), then move on down the road. When I'm traveling it is pretty difficult to get away and go jump but it does happen sometimes. I've only been 1 place that I didn't like but I was still under 100 jumps and it was a pretty darn big DZ with a lot of people and it seemed like everyone was an ass. I did 1 jump, packed and left.

I've shown up at other DZ's and people wouldn't leave me alone (very friendly). :)I have run into some pilots that I wouldn't let near a lawn mower let alone get into an airplane with them.