Jonay

All skydivers I need your help!

wow the last answers have really been great !:) thank you so much! When someone shows the way it is always easier, so a special thanks to you CygnusX-1 for taking the first step.

Hoping that "that 105 kg" guy with the big 230 main container doesn't sit right in front of you. Realizing that he is going to sit in front of you and squish you between him and the guy behind you. Wonder why it's so freaking hot in the plane in the middle of summer. And finely understanding why sardines are dead before they get put into the can.

haha that description was top notch!

I liked the sex-comparison the best! Skydiving and sex are both the kind of things you wanna do and get the feeling instead of talking about it and describe them in words.

so maybe an approach could be use skydiving as a metaphor for the act of making love? haha would that justify it?

one thing I'm really curious about is, while being in the air and moving down in a crazy speed, what goes through your mind?
are you able to think and such or are you being too caught up in the moment and just being present??

Why don't you challenge yourself and try a tandem for real?

I feel like I'm not really there mentally yet to really have the courage to try. All those videos I've watched about skydiving make me dream of that "day" but for the moment those videos are the closest thing I'll ever come to true "freedom", cause in my mind that is one thing I associate with sky diving, or am I wrong?

Btw if you are curios about how I sound "rapping" here is a song called Swedish Ladies...
http://www.jonay.com/02_JONAY_-_Swedish_Ladies.mp3
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

I liked the sex-comparison the best! Skydiving and sex are both the kind of things you wanna do and get the feeling instead of talking about it and describe them in words.

so maybe an approach could be use skydiving as a metaphor for the act of making love? haha would that justify it?

Hm... I was more like comparing the two, not identifying them. Maybe we should start a new thead to find out which one gives more pleasure and see if they are comparable... LOL

one thing I'm really curious about is, while being in the air and moving down in a crazy speed, what goes through your mind?
are you able to think and such or are you being too caught up in the moment and just being present??

It is being FULLY and ONLY in the moment and enjoying the hell out of it! Without the spark of any distraction that you normally deal with every minute of your everyday life. In that way yes, a form of freedom - and pleasure for your senses and your mind.

Why don't you challenge yourself and try a tandem for real?

I feel like I'm not really there mentally yet to really have the courage to try. All those videos I've watched about skydiving make me dream of that "day" but for the moment those videos are the closest thing I'll ever come to true "freedom", cause in my mind that is one thing I associate with sky diving, or am I wrong?

May I ask how old are you?

Btw if you are curios about how I sound "rapping" here is a song called Swedish Ladies...
http://www.jonay.com/02_JONAY_-_Swedish_Ladies.mp3

I liked it! Congrats! Gotta say this is pretty darn good! Almost as good as Hungarian hip-hop. ;)

Hm... I was more like comparing the two, not identifying them. Maybe we should start a new thead to find out which one gives more pleasure and see if they are comparable... LOL

Direct comparison testing? :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Direct comparison testing? :P

We could collect a bunch of data and do a real research paper based strictly on numbers ... Such as doing polls on how many times did you have sex in the past 5 years vs. how many times did you jump in the last 5 years :P;) Could call it the s:s ratio.
(I wonder how many of us keep a logbook for that ... LOL)

Hmm I'm 25, do I dare to ask you why you asked?:)

I liked it! Congrats! Gotta say this is pretty darn good! Almost as good as Hungarian hip-hop.

I'm glad you did, to bad it is only almost as good as hehe, but probably would be just as good as if the song was named "Hungarian Ladies"?:)

We could collect a bunch of data and do a real research paper based strictly on numbers ... Such as doing polls on how many times did you have sex in the past 5 years vs. how many times did you jump in the last 5 years

the question to be asked is then, whether the paper would be based on a qualitative or quantitative study...

back to the main focus again, a couple of more answers and experience sharing regarding skydiving would really be appreciated...then I would have enough information for the song...
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

when you are 'there', go here:
http://www.ofkdz.nu/

Hmm I'm 25, do I dare to ask you why you asked?:)

Out of curiosity, nothing special.

I liked it! Congrats! Gotta say this is pretty darn good! Almost as good as Hungarian hip-hop.

I'm glad you did, to bad it is only almost as good as hehe, but probably would be just as good as if the song was named "Hungarian Ladies"?:)

We could collect a bunch of data and do a real research paper based strictly on numbers ... Such as doing polls on how many times did you have sex in the past 5 years vs. how many times did you jump in the last 5 years

the question to be asked is then, whether the paper would be based on a qualitative or quantitative study...

back to the main focus again, a couple of more answers and experience sharing regarding skydiving would really be appreciated...then I would have enough information for the song...

Sorry, we got sidetracked here. My only excuse for that is that I am in bed all day with a lower back injury and have all the time to twist thoughts and words around. :$

when you are 'there', go here:
http://www.ofkdz.nu/

Aah cool you found out my city :), thanks for the link!

Sorry, we got sidetracked here. My only excuse for that is that I am in bed all day with a lower back injury and have all the time to twist thoughts and words around.

No need to apologize of course you are allowed twist thoughts and words around :) Hope you get well soon.
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

hello happy people, I have couple of more questions, I hope you don't mind :)

how long does a jump take from the step out until you touch the ground?
From what altitude do you jump?
Are there any preconditions (weather) that needs to be fulfilled before a jump?
What is the best time for a jump?, morning? noon?
During the dive, are you able to breathe as normal? Does your body feel cold or just normal during the dive?
What is the view like during the free fall?
In what speed do you move during the free fall?
Are there any special skydiving terms which is used often by skydivers? . In music for instance there is EQ, Compressor Limiter and etc.

I guess this was more than just a couple of questions , I hope I didn't scare you away:)

cheers
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

Hello Jonay,

Most of your questions are hard to answer, it all depends.

How long a jump takes depends on the exit altitude, body position in freefall, opening altitude, parachute size / how you steer your canopy (fast turns cost more altitude) etc.
Generally speaking, a skydiver who jumps from 12.000 feet and stays on his belly will fall for up to 60 seconds, open their parachute at 3000 feet and fly for up to three minutes.
On the other hand, on a so called 'hop and pop' skydivers will exit the plane and immediately open their parachutes. Think of an average descent rate of ~1000 feet per minute (unless you turn a lot and very fast)

As to the weather, the winds shouldn't be too high (too high depending on experience and/or personal preference) or gusty and in some countries jumping through clouds is illegal, which could limit exit altitudes to the cloud base.
Of course, precipitation is a no go. First of all, rain stings (and hail really hurts) and second, you wouldn't go for a nice picknick when it was raining, would you? ;)
By the way, precipitation hurts because a skydiver falls a lot faster than the precipitation does; it's the difference in relative speed that makes it hurt.

The best time for a jump - there is none, though flying your parachute when it's around sunset is very nice, IMO. Then the view is simply awesome.
In freefall and especially when jumping with others, you usually are too focused on the jump to focus on the view (at least, I am).

Breathing in freefall is no different from breathing with a very strong headwind. Just relax and you'll have no difficulties.
As to cold, well, again it depends. The higher you are, the colder it gets obviously, but the temperature you experience could vary from a nice refreshing cool 'experience' in summer to effing freezing in winter, which is why many DZs shutdown for the winter and why many skydivers 'hibernate', if you wish.

Many special terms are listed here.

However, most of the questions have a subjective answer to them. I recommend that you do a tandem to experience it first hand - trust me, you'll have a unique experience that will be invaluable for your research.

Hope this helps :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

By the way, precipitation hurts because a skydiver falls a lot faster than the precipitation does; it's the difference in relative speed that makes it hurt.

That, and you're hitting the pointy end of the raindrops. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Baksteen, thank you so much for taking your time to answer all my questions, you really provided me with some good answers! Like you say, most of the answers are subjective but at the same time it gives me a general idea of the process, so it is valuable information to me :)
Thanks again for the help.
cheers
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

Hi everybody,
My name is Jonay and I'm an artist/producer/songwriter from Sweden and I can honestly say that I'll never have the courage to skydive but I still hope you can help me out :). So how did I end up here?
Well this is the thing, for one of my next songs I let people listen to the instrumental and decide the topic and so far the majority has voted on skydiving. So I thought I prepare myself and make some research for my "upcoming" song, so that's how I ended up here.
Since I don't know much about skydiving, specially from a emotional perspective I wanted to ask you.
Example on things I wonder about is

How do you prepare yourself before a jump?
Whats the most nervous thing? whats the most exciting thing?
what's the process like before you take off?
What do you think of just before you take a step out?
what's the feeling like? what does it feel like when you land? and so on..
how would you describe the experience with 5 keywords and etc
so please share any experience, feeling or knowledge, anything that could help me to make a really good song about skidiving :)
Based on your answers I'm going to write my song and hopefully it will justify skidiving :)

Sincerely,
Jonay

p.s If you curious about the instrumental and the voting you can listen here.
http://blog.jamendo.com/2009/03/17/a-song-about-barchairs-is-your-dream-vote-here-and-make-it-real/

I love it! Can't wait to hear the lyrics.

My keyword suggestions:

extreme, concentration, excitement, determination, courage, accomplishment

Ok so that's six ;)

I use Jamendo as a source for many of the tunes I sync to my videos and I'm really glad to have found your stuff. It's great. Creative Commons licensing is the best!

Devils advocate here.

I really do not see how you can write a song based of something that you haven't done yourself. Basing it off other peoples account what what they feel will never really make the song your own.

Im sure others have recommended it but go out...do a tandem and then write your song...being that it will be how YOU feel and felt about it.
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye