Jonay

All skydivers I need your help!

Hi everybody,
My name is Jonay and I'm an artist/producer/songwriter from Sweden and I can honestly say that I'll never have the courage to skydive but I still hope you can help me out :). So how did I end up here?
Well this is the thing, for one of my next songs I let people listen to the instrumental and decide the topic and so far the majority has voted on skydiving. So I thought I prepare myself and make some research for my "upcoming" song, so that's how I ended up here.
Since I don't know much about skydiving, specially from a emotional perspective I wanted to ask you.
Example on things I wonder about is

How do you prepare yourself before a jump?
Whats the most nervous thing? whats the most exciting thing?
what's the process like before you take off?
What do you think of just before you take a step out?
what's the feeling like? what does it feel like when you land? and so on..
how would you describe the experience with 5 keywords and etc
so please share any experience, feeling or knowledge, anything that could help me to make a really good song about skidiving :)
Based on your answers I'm going to write my song and hopefully it will justify skidiving :)

Sincerely,
Jonay

p.s If you curious about the instrumental and the voting you can listen here.
http://blog.jamendo.com/2009/03/17/a-song-about-barchairs-is-your-dream-vote-here-and-make-it-real/
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

Objects:
Traffic Lights
Headphones
Barchair
Briefcase
Sofa

Activities:
Skydiving

I don't get it...

thoughts:
I always thought cool skydiving songs consisted of instrumentals that had no defining beat (such as drums) for the airplane ride up, and dropped a break at the same time the group exits from the plane...

Whoa. Techno and skydiving? That's insane. No one has ever done that before!

Ok, seriously, after a decade I'm about tired of techno songs and skydiving. Its on my list with Tom Petty (Freefalling) and Van Halen (Jump). The song its self is ok, but I don't associate it with skydiving. Actually, it made me think of fake Honda R stickers and oversized rear spoilers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

As far as your question goes... no matter what responses you get, you just won't understand until you yourself have jumped. It's kinda like describing sex to a virgin... they can read all the books, watch all the movies, bs their friends and hopefuls till they're blue in the face... but they just don't know what it's like till they actually get laid. ;)

Now go schedule a Tandem, jump, and then come back and give us your answers to these questions.:)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Why not write a song about how you're too much of a pussy to skydive, or a song about how skydivers are fucking idiots, or how gravity always wins or how you're doing research on the internet about skydiving? Something even remotely true.

I mean, why not go to a car forum and ask what it feels like to "roll with your homies" because you have neither a vehicle nor a friend, and never will? Same basic idea.

Are you that much of a poseur?

Why not write a song about how you're too much of a pussy to skydive, or a song about how skydivers are fucking idiots, or how gravity always wins or how you're doing research on the internet about skydiving? Something even remotely true.

I mean, why not go to a car forum and ask what it feels like to "roll with your homies" because you have neither a vehicle nor a friend, and never will? Same basic idea.

Jeez man, how do you really feel?
Less talking, more flying.

Objects:
Traffic Lights
Headphones
Barchair
Briefcase
Sofa

Activities:
Skydiving

I don't get it...

thoughts:
I always thought cool skydiving songs consisted of instrumentals that had no defining beat (such as drums) for the airplane ride up, and dropped a break at the same time the group exits from the plane...

The topics were chosen randomly I let some close friends listen to the beat and they basicaly gave suggestions on topics they associated the music with, but now that you point out the fact that everything else is objects except skydiving I guess I should have paid more attention to it. but it's a little late for that now..

Whoa. Techno and skydiving? That's insane. No one has ever done that before!

Ok, seriously, after a decade I'm about tired of techno songs and skydiving. Its on my list with Tom Petty (Freefalling) and Van Halen (Jump). The song its self is ok, but I don't associate it with skydiving. Actually, it made me think of fake Honda R stickers and oversized rear spoilers.

Yes there might be many techno songs out there addressing skydiving. But I didn't have that in mind, since this beat (wanted to try something different) is not a typical one for me because I work mostly with hiphop and rnb.

As far as your question goes... no matter what responses you get, you just won't understand until you yourself have jumped. It's kinda like describing sex to a virgin... they can read all the books, watch all the movies, bs their friends and hopefuls till they're blue in the face... but they just don't know what it's like till they actually get laid. ;)

Now go schedule a Tandem, jump, and then come back and give us your answers to these questions.:)

Haha that's a good answer and also true, and I mean of course It would be impossible for me to understand totally the feeling and the emotional aspect behind it, but things like what people think of the exact moment they jump () or how one prepares could be shared by experience...

I totally respect your view. But the thing is, every song I ever made has always based on truth so I must disagree with the poseur thing. And I think you miss the point here, I'm not deciding to write a song about skydiving, I simply presented an instrumental and people voted, what might been wrong is that I put the alternative skydiving amongst objects as nakedfool mentioned. but is to late to change that now. There is still couple of days left on the voting so you could vote on other alternatives and make sure skydiving isn't winning.
And Yes you are absolutely right writing about me being to coward to try skydive is an good alternative I consider highly (I dont say this as a joke, cause there are many cowards out there just like me so it could be a fun song). But should that stop me from coming here and ask for your experience and what it feels like? and why should i write a song about sky divers being idiots?whats the truth in that?

cheers,
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

Alright, that was not cool. First off, personal attacks are not welcome here and if that was not one I do not know what is.

Second, What makes you so special that you can publicly degrade someone and try to call them out because they asked a question? Who knows what the circumstances are; Maybe there is not a dropzone anywhere around that they can jump at, maybe they do not have the money, there are a million reasons that they might not jump.

If you took the time to read the OP they are not trying to be an authority on skydiving. i do not disagree that it certainly would help their song if they jumped but your post was un-called for.

Are you a tough guy because you have 30ish jumps (in two years ...?) and you want to show how "cool" you are. I am not impressed!

To the OP, I will PM you later to help you out.

Have Rig will travel ...

I totally respect your view.
Yes you are absolutely right writing about me being to coward to try skydive is an good alternative I consider highly (I dont say this as a joke, cause there are many cowards out there just like me so it could be a fun song). But should that stop me from coming here and ask for your experience and what it feels like? and why should i write a song about sky divers being idiots?whats the truth in that?

cheers,

I commend you (OP) for the response you gave to the reaction I quoted.
But no need to respect the writer. I certainly don't. Respect is only given to those who deserve it and always a two-way street. People who write responses like the one I quoted and you replied to are just looking to provoke.
There's a word for people who write like that, it's "troll" - usually preceded by the F-word :)
Criticism you should listen to and take into account.
Trolling you can ignore.

Good luck with the song :)

EDIT: spelling
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

With 31 jumps i only see one poser :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Something like that, and also there is tension building during the plane ride, and release after the jump. Yeah, it's hackneyed, but if you're trying to provide music/thought pictures to people, go with the recognizable.

On the plane trip up, new people more so than experienced (at least from what I hear) get tenser and tenser on the way up. Right before exit there's that feeling of delicious anticipation when all of the senses are pretty peaked with anticipation for the jump that's just about to happen.

Each jump is unique; you can't go back and re-do what just happened. It's kind of like improv that way. You can re-do it, but what already happened still exists.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I totally respect your view.
Yes you are absolutely right writing about me being to coward to try skydive is an good alternative I consider highly (I dont say this as a joke, cause there are many cowards out there just like me so it could be a fun song). But should that stop me from coming here and ask for your experience and what it feels like? and why should i write a song about sky divers being idiots?whats the truth in that?

cheers,

I commend you (OP) for the response you gave to the reaction I quoted.
But no need to respect the writer. I certainly don't. Respect is only given to those who deserve it and always a two-way street. People who write responses like the one I quoted and you replied to are just looking to provoke.
There's a word for people who write like that, it's "troll" - usually preceded by the F-word :)
Criticism you should listen to and take into account.
Trolling you can ignore.

Good luck with the song :)

EDIT: spelling

I totally understand what you mean. Even though I might not respect the writer I can always show respect to their perspective or opinion, that's how I reason.

It is hard for me to believe you are a writer with all of the grammar and spelling errors.

Just my $0.02.

I'm not here to make you believe or convince you and If you think making music and writing lyrics is all about grammar and spelling I think you should reconsider your thought pattern. Did any of my grammar or spelling error prevent you from understanding me? The hardest thing in communication is not saying the right words but it is preventing yourself from saying things you are tempted to say that has no value.. so please lets stick to the subject..

Something like that, and also there is tension building during the plane ride, and release after the jump. Yeah, it's hackneyed, but if you're trying to provide music/thought pictures to people, go with the recognizable.

On the plane trip up, new people more so than experienced (at least from what I hear) get tenser and tenser on the way up. Right before exit there's that feeling of delicious anticipation when all of the senses are pretty peaked with anticipation for the jump that's just about to happen.

Each jump is unique; you can't go back and re-do what just happened. It's kind of like improve that way. You can re-do it, but what already happened still exists.

Wendy W.

Thank you Wendy, now that was some good and valuable information! one question, on the way up does it feel like it takes forever before it is actually time to jump? you know, the feeling that time is standing still?
www.jonay.com
twitter.com/jonaycom

you know, the feeling that time is standing still?

Not for me, at all. But that could be very different for students, or even other jumpers.

I spend my time on the way up checking my equipment, going over what is planned for the jump, just sitting there, and interacting with other people.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hahahahahahahaha:D

Good question:

What about heading for your nearest vertical wind tunnel and write the song about tunnel flight instead? Safer, and much more original;)

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Hahahahahahahaha:D

Good question:

What about heading for your nearest vertical wind tunnel and write the song about tunnel flight instead? Safer, and much more original;)

:)

You may be on to something. He can get at least the physical feeling of freefall if not the full sensation/experience. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Since no one else has taken the bait, I'll chomp down on the hook with the worm on it.

How do you prepare yourself before a jump?
I put on my jumpsuit, rig, helmet, etc. Wander aimlessly around for a while and wonder why manifest called "5 minutes to boarding" about 8 minutes ago.

Whats the most nervous thing?
After the freefall portion of the jump, reaching back and wondering how hard of a pull the pilot chute will be this time.

whats the most exciting thing?
Landing and knowing that you completed everything you set out to do on that dive and did it the best you could within your abilities.

what's the process like before you take off?
See question 1 followed by... Climbing into the back of a plane. Finding a seat sometimes on the floor. Buckling the seat belt. Hoping that "that 105 kg" guy with the big 230 main container doesn't sit right in front of you. Realizing that he is going to sit in front of you and squish you between him and the guy behind you. Wonder why it's so freaking hot in the plane in the middle of summer. And finely understanding why sardines are dead before they get put into the can.

What do you think of just before you take a step out?
UP - DOWN - OUT
or
READY - SET - GO

what's the feeling like?
It is different for everybody - only you can answer that.

what does it feel like when you land?
See above question.

how would you describe the experience with 5 keywords
exhilarating, simple, challenging, addicting, multifaceted

please share any experience, feeling or knowledge
Why is it that skydiving should be something that is so simple is really the hardest thing you can ever do.

I'm not going to read through the other posts, so forgive me if this has already been written. There have been a few times when I've been pissed off at something in life and it's ENTIRELY gone as I suit up. On the ride up, I'm relaxed. Getting my helmet and goggles on, I'm elated. Slapping the hands of the skydivers right before the green light, I feel brotherly. Then the door opens and...UNPARALLED excitement.

There have been so many times that I've been in a stressful situation where I've said to myself, "Fuck it. I'm not going to stress out, I'm going jumping tomorrow." It all goes away and it lasts for hours after the jump.

I have to take som Aleve before jumping to prevent headaches from coming down from the high. Anybody else have to do that?

I liked the sex-comparison the best! Skydiving and sex are both the kind of things you wanna do and get the feeling instead of talking about it and describe them in words. Words are the hardest to associate with it - pictures, photos and music I can see easier...If I really had to use words they would be: amazing, liberating, exhilarating, breathtaking.

I don't think I would wanna write a song about snow skiing - never tried it. Why don't you challenge yourself and try a tandem for real? It is safe and the closest you can get to the real feeling! Something like sex with a condom ;)