MarkTL

Crazy Malfunction

Know what you are getting into with every Mr. Bill jump. I've posted these pictures before but it is relevant to this topic again.

Deployed right from the door but the participating jumpers were not straight up and down but rather 90 degrees on their side when the main opened up. Riser caught the reserve tray and ripped it. Did not notice or feel anything different until back in the clubhouse and started to pack.

Now say to yourself, what would have happened if the reserve began to come out of the tray and deployed? No handle was pulled, no flap was opened instead, it snuck out through the bottom rip instead. You would have had a perfectly good main above your head and some dumb ass messed up reserve trying to inflate with the reserve risers no where near in alignment of where they should be if the reserve were to deploy normally rather than coming out of one side of the tray.

It is really good that people post videos like this because somewhere deep in the back of peoples minds they know events like this can happen but they discount it and don't give it a second thought.

Hi spence,

Makes you wonder about some of the materials they use for some costom rigs

This reply is not to be negative towards you, it is to ( hopefully) enlighten you.

From the photos it looks like it might be a Sidewinder rig. If so, it is built of exactly the same materials that all other modern rigs are built from. And, IMO, they a very well built.

I once built a rig and had the 2nd owner return it to me with a similar problem. It took me a long time and a long discussion with the user to finally determine how it could happen.

In modern sport rigs the reserve container is sewn to the main pack tray ( if one really wants to learn how a modern rig is built go find yourself a really old, worn-out Vector I & take it all apart; you will learn all you need to know ). What happens is the jumper opens on their side, the low-side riser 'hooks' around the corner of the reserve container ( the lower bottom corner where it is the thickest ) and the forces of the main canopy opening will tear the reserve container away from the main pack tray. Almost any rig will have this result under these conditions.

Now because of experience with the problem ( and numerous mfrs have experienced this ), some have sewn little triangular pieces that go down the side of the reserve container, at the bottom corners, and back into the main pack tray and inch or two. This makes for a 'ski slope' for the main risers to slide up and prevent this tearing of the reserve container from the assembly.

From what I know of this is that it can only occur when a jumper is opening on their side, as in 1/4 of the way through a bellyroll.

Does this explain this type of incident sufficiently?

Take care,

JerryBaumchen

>it is built of exactly the same materials that all other modern rigs are built from.

I think his comment was more along the lines of "if this can happen to a regular rig, makes you wonder what would happen to a rig made of custom materials" (like leather, tie-dyed fabrics etc.)

Makes sense. In the photo you could not be sure where the failure was,if the stitching failed or it was the fabric. My original thought came from the fact it was colored fabric.

On a side note. I think we are going to begin to see failures of some of these second hand swoop rigs that have been wet over and over again