shveddy

A question for the europeans out there

Hello

So I ought to be train traveling around Europe throughout the summer, and my budget basically only allows for sustinence + universal train ticket (not sustinence + universal train ticket + skydives, unfortunately).

So my question to you is, how receptive are DZ's over there to random travelers stopping by and packing mains for people so they can afford to make some jumps?

I've got about 70 jumps now, and should have a bit over 100 by the time I make my way over the pond.

So let me know if this is too brash of me, I'm too inexperienced to be trusted, or if this is a great idea that will work beautifully :)
Thanks

P.S. DZ's within a few hundred Kilometers of Southern Germany would be most convenient since I know people with whom I can store my rig.

Feel free to PM me

So my question to you is, how receptive are DZ's over there to random travelers stopping by and packing mains for people so they can afford to make some jumps?

Personally i think (while being as nice as possible) that its a pretty stupid question. Europe is a big place, not a single country... less chat more splat. Get your bags and jump.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I know it's a big place, lived there (Germany) for about five years.

I was rushed when i wrote the question, but to clarify, i am really looking for specific DZ's that would be OK with this idea.

For the most part, distance and location don't really matter being that I will be purchasing a Eurail Pass (unlimited train rides in most EU countries) and spending a good bit of time there.

Agreed on less chat, more splat part... once the weekend arrives.

Tried to pack in Switzerland last summer and it fucking sucks. Just the idea of people packing for somebody else seems to piss the Swiss off...

I did it for like three days (most packjobs I got in a day were 4) and then gave up the idea.

Definitely not the way to make money in Switzerland.

Hi!

I'm afraid I'm not going to write what you'd like to read, but it's going to be difficult to just get there and pack.
Unless you stay for a few weeks on the same DZ and start knowing local people, nobody will let you pack...

Oh and I forgot to add, I had around 2k pack jobs at that time and still everybody seemed to be incredibly paranoid. Don't think somebody with just 100 pack jobs will be very lucky in getting pack jobs. The only thing I ever got to pick up was either brand new canopies or huge canopies in tiny bags that sucked to pack too much even for the Swiss.

The days I went, i payed more in gas to get there then I'd make.

I've got about 70 jumps now, and should have a bit over 100 by the time I make my way over the pond.

How about not doing those 30 jumps in US, saving up the money and doing them over in Europe? :)
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

In theory the idea sounds really great to turn up at a European dropzone when you are short of cash, stay for a couple of days over a busy weekend, make a few hundred Euros and then keep on travelling for a bit longer. This idea makes the following assumptions:

1. You have done your homework and you know which drozones are busy and where professional packing is an accepted service on the dropzone.
2. You are a professional packer. i.e. you can pack all types and sizes of canopies into all types and sizes of rigs in a short amount of time. (In Europe the variety of mains and containers is vastly greater than in the U.S.).
3. You are prepared to turn up, introduce yourself and hang around making yourself useful until a slot becomes available and then when one does, you prove your ability and willingness to work.

Dropzones in Europe are not that much different from dropzones in the U.S. (except the beer and the coffee are way better), ask yourself if a stranger with your experience level could just turn up at your local dropzone and immediately pick up a steady supply of work. If the answer if yes, then you shouldn't have any problems over there either.

Best of luck

Everyone packs their own at my dz (nonprofit club), so I'm completely unfamilliar with how this "pack for money" phenominon works elsewhere. No idea what kind of qualifications are expected or even if there is such a thing as a "professional packer" (other than riggers).

As for number one, that's what I'm trying to do now. Find out out which, if any DZ's would be a better bet for this kind of escapade.

As for number two, I'm nowhere near professional and certainly wouldn't touch someone else's velo or katana. i would probably feed off of intermediate level skydivers who don't feel like packing (if there's a market and I won't be invading someone else's turf).

I envisioned things working like #3; if that is in any way a reasonable expectation.

A few hundred Euros is a lot more than I would expect. I'm not planning on traveling on this money at all. I was more thinking a five packjobs to one jump ratio would give me an opportunity to jump a few times over there.

And yea, I'm not too suprised that for the most part it would be hard to convince DZ's to let a stranger stop by and help out. Just checking though.

Welcome to Finland.

You have your own rig and OFCOURSE you pack for yourself. And you pay about 24€ a jump + 4€ extra for not being a club member. If you want to borrow a club-rig you pay 4€ extra / jump. Ofcourse I'd lend my own rig to you for free. You can always bargain for the packing prices.

Cheap, huh? 100LL costs only 2,38€/ltr nowadays. We burn it about 1,2 ltrs / minute. We are all clubs, no commercial thingies. We just do the club jobs for the love to the skydiving.

You're welcome to do the clubwork to reduce your skydiving fees ;)

Ofcourse You're welcome anytime. Just don't exept it to be cheap.

We just LOVE foreigners.

>If God meant for man to fly, He´d have given him much more money.

McG, DZ EFVA dictator

Hello
don't spend too much time on dropzones, you can jump in america for less money. you should see more countries, try to visit italy, very very nice girls, and the food.... uuaaaa. If you are in swiss or france, you should make a jump or two in the alps. You wrote you will be in germany... Amsterdam is very near... B|

you got a big mouth about that particular dz which i'm very familiar with.. :|

you're surely welcomed back well there after that.. :S

Well did I say anything that wasn't right?
what DZ is that ? Bero ?

IMO Hausse just said that it sucked that people packed for themselves...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

you got a big mouth about that particular dz which i'm very familiar with.. :|

you're surely welcomed back well there after that.. :S

Well did I say anything that wasn't right?
what DZ is that ? Bero ?

IMO Hausse just said that it sucked that people packed for themselves...

The Swiss DZ I was at seemed packing wise (it sucked balls in every other way compared to Wissota) pretty much the same. Everybody packed for themselves.

i understand pretty different..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i dont doubt it, still i dont think its nice of you to backstab the people. u know, i have my arguments with them, still i wont talk bad about them.. :)
the parties ARE awesome! :P

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

You wrote you will be in germany... Amsterdam is very near... B|

Foreigners....B|

i've had a great time in amsterdam!

not so much in rotterdam tough.. :S>:(:|B|[:/]
-Hunter S. Thompson