katzg08

No one wants to jump with a newbie :(

Where I jump we are all mixed up. Teams doing serious training, team members fun jumping, fun jumpers fun jumping, zoo dives, tandems, AFF, wingsuits, CRW, FF, swoops, H&P's, etc. A little of everything and a lot of fun.

We got it all.

I was just about to jump in with a "Ditto at my home DZ" when I noticed... Don? Is that you?

Yep, seems like every load theres something going on. We even did a few (really cool) hybrid jumps last year. Mix it up and enjoy! :D:D
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

All i do is fun jump! I dont get on serious dives. If i get down from a jump and someone complains about someone else messing up the dive(as in mad) I will not jump with that person again. I understand some people are into the comps and stuff, but i just want to have fun!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

>Given that I don't jump anymore, can I ask - don't people just fun jump anymore?

Sure! Both jumpers could make as many fun zoo loads as they wanted. There was no problem getting into the air; the only problems they had was improving at the rate they wanted to.

>Is all jumping now team orientated?

Nope! Just the people who want to become better at RW.

>What happened to rocking up to the DZ and slinging together a jump out of the
>people that were there at the time?

It still happens all the time. If your goal is just to jump out of a plane and fly around a formation that usually doesn't work - there's plenty of that there.

I jump for fun [full stop].... one of the very best jumps that I had last year was with an Up Jumper... just to see the enthusiasm and smile was so infectious..... and all I did was fall flat and stable ... It was epic.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the "black hole" in our sport. For what its worth, that is exactly why this event was crested www.skyfestboogie.com I know that its not till June, but I can promise you that if you come out and spend some time with us, I guarantee that your skill level will greatly increase. The site will have a ton of updates by next week for 2009, sneak a peak in the history section at 2008 and it will give you some insight to whats coming up. And there will be discounted tunnel time at two different tunnels, maybe one is near you?
I know it sounds like a shameless plug, but we built the event because we feel that after AFF we lose our jumpers because they have no one to play with unless they cough up more money!! I hope you can muddle thru the gap and stick with us in the sport, it will be worth it I promise! If you make it to Raeford make sure you stop by the SkyFest booth and introduce yourself, heck I bet I can even someone to organize a load. I better, we have 20 of them there to jump with the new folks!
Hope you stick around!

If you're for real, let's plan to meet half way at one of the DZ's and I'll buy your jumps for the day, and I will jump with you. I hate to hear of anyone getting kicked around like that. Again I say, IF you are real and this is a REAL problem you've encountered.

HAHA you will need to do some recurrency training first and you will probably have to join the USPA. Then she will outfly you. God you are desperate to meet chicks. HAHA
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

I remember in late 70's or early 80's a guy with similar issue's...he was a young guy, stock broker of some type, successful, he got tired of asking so one weekend he gets there early and proceedes to buy the 1st 6 loads,,,the smile on his face was priceless as he climbed aboard solo while all the hot jumpers sat on the ground and waited,,don't think they jumped till noon,,ha ha I was a student with about 10 jumps and i remember thinking," this is going to be a fun sport " He got everybodys attention and curiousity,,never had problems getting to get people to jump with him after that B|

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

If I might make a suggestion, make a road trip to SoCal, pull up to Elsinore DZ, if someone doesn't hit you up to jump then ask manifest who is LOing, you'll be jumping with others in no time. We love jumping with people of all skill levels, mixing newbies with more experienced jumpers.
-----------------------------------
"There are two kinds of skydivers in this world, the kind that skydive to enrich their lives and the kind that skydive to define their lives. Don't be the latter."

I remember in late 70's or early 80's a guy with similar issue's...he was a young guy, stock broker of some type, successful, he got tired of asking so one weekend he gets there early and proceedes to buy the 1st 6 loads,,,the smile on his face was priceless as he climbed aboard solo while all the hot jumpers sat on the ground and waited,,don't think they jumped till noon,,ha ha I was a student with about 10 jumps and i remember thinking," this is going to be a fun sport " He got everybodys attention and curiousity,,never had problems getting to get people to jump with him after that B|

Awesome :D:D:D

To the OP, that's very unfortunate. And yes, it does happen, I've seen it at various DZs :S As suggested, try another DZ.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Hi JD,
Funny thing you should mention that! Quite a few cases of beer ago a bunch of jumpers came down from a jump one Sat morn at OLD ELSINORE. Someone took out the base and usually the fingerpointing and yelling would start. Instead, Richard Haden said,"Man, that dive was Air Trash!!" A bunch of guys just laughed and someone suggested getting a case of Coronas and drinking a few. The rest is history. Go to www.airtrash.com and see for your self. memememmeme!! OHHH we're a bunch of dirty Bastards.... Got yer Air Trash hat yet?? Fun Jumping, "That's" what it's all about!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi JD,
Funny thing you should mention that! Quite a few cases of beer ago a bunch of jumpers came down from a jump one Sat morn at OLD ELSINORE. Someone took out the base and usually the fingerpointing and yelling would start. Instead, Richard Haden said,"Man, that dive was Air Trash!!" A bunch of guys just laughed and someone suggested getting a case of Coronas and drinking a few. The rest is history. Go to www.airtrash.com and see for your self. memememmeme!! OHHH we're a bunch of dirty Bastards.... Got yer Air Trash hat yet?? Fun Jumping, "That's" what it's all about!!

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

D'oh! I love jumping with newer jumpers, it feels good, they are always full of enthusiasm and really full of smiles. If you came to my DZ I'd be all over you, but we're probably in diff countries :)
It's a real shame you're in that situation... I was in it too at that stage and I recommend either changing dropzones or sticking it out, hopefully some more newbies will come around and you can jump with them.

I wish you were closer to NJ!!

I'm a total newbie and haven't had a problem with getting people to jump. I haven't asked anyone... I've just been recruited. I've even had to take a raincheck on jumps because I was already jumping with other people.

I've been telling people that "I totally suck. Just so you know. I don't want to ruin your jump...." Everyone I've been with has been totally cool and they've also given me great coaching and advice.

I really hope you find your place because once you do, there's nothing like jumping with your friends. It is one of the things that makes me the happiest girl in the world!!! :)

Always be kinder than you feel.

"I totally suck. Just so you know.

There IS hope!!:ph34r:

some may say that is an endearing quality :D:D:D

seriously though sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and say...yeah....I am a newb...but I am willing to be taught and eager to learn:)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

"I totally suck. Just so you know.

There IS hope!!:ph34r:

some may say that is an endearing quality :D:D:D

seriously though sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and say...yeah....I am a newb...but I am willing to be taught and eager to learn:)

Yeah, there was a woman (cant remember her name, its in my logbook back stateside) down at skydive san marcos who was doing all the manifest paperwork at the same time as me... She found out I was a newbie and told me she would jump with me for free, and coach me on whatever I wanted to learn.

Very VERY nice lady... too bad I couldnt stay longer and work on my side sliding!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just have to keep trying....
I will always want to jump with newbies becoz I was "brought up" at Holister where they will jump with newbies and I really appreciated that gesture. When I had 50plus jump, I was invited to join them and resulted in wonderful memories. I felt much more confident thereafter and I remember those culture. Now I am very willing to stop my group jump just to go with a newbie....:)

Enjoy it! I'm always getting yanked onto RW jumps with my instructors. I really appreciate them helping me beyond what they are required to teach me for my license but sometimes it's nice just to goof off in the air or do a hop n pop to really learn what that rag over your head can do.
EARTH! Short bus of the universe,
since the year T+10.3 billion!

REV. DUDEMIESTER D.S.#120