katzg08

No one wants to jump with a newbie :(

Well, needless to say I am a bit frustrated. It took me 33 jumps to get my A license because of some repeat jumps. I now have 52 jumps and every jump between 33 and 52 have been solos. I jump at a smaller drop zone and am the only newer jumper, they next lowest jumper has about 400 jumps. Since we are a Cesna Drop Zone they get their 4 or 6 ways together and I'm always "stuck" by myself. I have asked people if they would do a 2 or 3 way with me, but they always say they are "working on something" with a group already. I have offered to buy jumps for up jumpers so that I would get some training, but they too have turned me down. My only hope to jump is if a 4 way gets out of the 206 so I can squeeze in as well. I have talked to the DZO about this but he just blew me off.

Is it time to throw in the towel? I love skydiving, but I don't even want to go to the DZ anymore because I hate all the rejection. (Did I note, I'm a super cute blonde, so it's not the looks...lol) I feel like I'm never going to learn anything! Suggestions?

Call around to a couple other DZs? It can get a bit hard to learn about flying, by yourself, because you have no visual reference of what you're doing. That's weird though. At my DZ, I'll go up planning on a solo, and get pulled into a 2 or 3 or 4 way with some other up jumpers :) Whenever I decline, thinking I don't wanna be the one to screw up the dive, they tease me about being 'too good to jump with them' lol.

And if you're a super cute blonde, I'd jump with you :) and I know you'd have NO trouble finding people to jump with at my DZ, lol.

Keep trying, and best of luck!!

Skydude.
PULL!! or DIE!!

And people wonder why our numbers are in decline.:S Yep go find another place to jump, it would be best to visit as many as you can in your area and "feel the vibe" of all of them, sometimes it's worth driving the extra miles to avoid the assholes of the sport.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

In 1980 when I really got going many of the more experienced jumpers, including World Champions, were more than happy to jump with newbies. And offer their couchs for overnight stays.

I've always been more than willing to jump with almost anyone. The one exception is newbies who just don't have a clue and are dangerous. I've even jumped with them more than I should have. Hopefully your not one of those. You don't have to be good, just able to take care of yourself, exit safely (not well, I get a kick out of launching with newbies and pushing around to get stable), track a little (not even a true requirement for real newbies), be altitude aware, open where your supposed to and land safely paying attention to others and the rules of the air. Being a super cute blond usually outweighs all of the above. ;)

Unfortunately I see some of that same willingness to play with the newbies disappearing. It sounds to me like you need a new home. You don't say where your at so we can't offer any suggestions.

There have always been clicks in skydiving, skygods who thought they were too busy or too important to jump with newbies or even other experienced jumpers. And at times we do want to play with people at our level so we can do things we haven't done before or practice our skills to get better. But to never be able to find someone to jump with, especially offering to pay for the slot is sad.

You don't need to give up skydiving, just maybe this DZ.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hang out if you don't already.

For your current DZ, this is definitely the best way. The other jumpers sound kind of self-absorbed, which will lead to jumps, even if you can join them, being geared to them rather than you (e.g. you'll just get to lay base and they'll do all hte flying around you).

So do try another dz if at all reasonable, and do hang out. That's where you make friends.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

OK, maybe I am weird, but I like jumping with someone who I can teach something. It feels good and makes me think I do something to propagate this sport.
Where do you jump?
If you are in Wisconsin, once snow is gone, I'll jump with you. I know I would've learned zip if guys with hundreds-to-thousands of jumps didn't step up.
Keep trying! Congrats on A lic!;)

When I started jumping I had people asking to jump with me before I got my license! And I am not even a super-cute blonde. Never pay for someone elses jump just to jump with you. There are plenty of people that will jump with you at a different DZ! Go find those people and stay with it. I have only done one solo since I got my license. Do not give up doing something you love, you just may regret it!

I have talked to the DZO about this but he just blew me off.

There are two angles I guess:

One angle is the way you approach fellow jumpers. A lot of people claim that no one will jump with them, but the other side of the story is that they are timid in approaching other jumpers when looking to get on on jumps. It sounds like you are really making an effort to get in on the action though.

The other angle is that the people at your DZ are acting like a bunch of dicks. Jumps costs money of course, and personally I don't do zoo dives any more because my budget is tighter. That being said I still try to jump with or shoot video for newer jumpers who are trying to improve.

Maybe it is a mix of the two?

Try approaching jumpers differently, and try a different DZ if there is one close enough for you visit.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Is it time to throw in the towel? I love skydiving, but I don't even want to go to the DZ anymore because I hate all the rejection.

Suggestion ... suck it up.

PS: You don't love skydiving if you're going to throw in the towel this easily.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I'm in agreement with the advice to check out other dzs. You haven't stated where you jump, so I'm hoping there are other dzs in your area.
If you ever get to Cross Keys, just ask manifest, they'll direct you to someone, (probably me).
I'll jump with anybody as long as they're safe. Unfortunately, inexperience seems to be a determining factor with most up jumpers, but haven't we ALL been in your shoes at one time?
Don't give up.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Take heart. Not all places are the same. Although at a small Cesna DZ, I can see how this situation can unfold and be tough. :( Sometimes people just need to be reminded we all didn't just immediately fall out of the planes automatically sky-gods! :S If the folks actively jumping at your DZ are ALWAYS "working on something" (else) and NEVER seem to have the time to spare only maybe even just one jump out of their day nurturing a low-timer, then - you just simply need to find a new DZ is all. Plain and simple.

Again, not all DZ's are like that. Some realize that the newby/low-timer they are "wasting their jump on" (their bad attitude, not mine!) today, is the long term jumping buddy/active participant they are merely adding to their ranks for tomorrow!

I personally, actually dedicate myself to this. And you don't have to be super-cute either (although it helps! - J/K!! :P). Those who absolutely eschew low-timers are missing out, and doing a disservice even in fact, IMHO to the sport.

Find a DZ that will welcome you in. Not play sky-god elitists with 400 jumps, like they don't have the time for you there! - HARUMPH!! >:(

My .02
Blues,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Where do you jump? What you describe sounds very unlike a 'small cessna DZ'. I'm on staff at Kutztown PA, and my mission is to make sure that nobody is doing solos, especially with low jump numbers. If I'm not doing AFF, I'm jumping with low timers (and having a ball doing it). If I am tied up with students, I make sure that low timers are hooked up with more experienced jumpers that I know they'll have fun with and learn something from. When I was in your shoes, a couple of more experienced jumpers did just that for my husband and I, so I try to return the favor. All of the cessna DZs I've been to have been like this.

So, one of two things is going on... the other fun jumpers truly don't know that you want to jump with them (be more aggressive!!!!!!) or you have a bad attitude toward them that totally turns them off. My guess is the first one, since you're a chick, and chicks tend to be a little more on the shy side when it comes to talking with other jumpers. Do you spend all day at the DZ? Hang out after jumping is done? Have you walked up to random fun jumper and say 'hey, jump with me!'? Talked with your instructors and asked them to hook you up with someone?

You have lots of options. If you want to give up, fine, go for it, that's your perogative (but also yours and the sport's loss). Where do you live? You'll probably find people on here that are willing to jump with you no matter where you are.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Go on a vacation to a larger DZ, get some tunnel coaching, lots of it if you can (if you can get airspeed to coach ya at Eloy for an example, you will learn a lot).

Not only is it a hell of a lot of fun, but you will get experience quickly, much faster than at a small cessna dropzone, and then you can ask the people at your home dropzone if they would like to JOIN YOU on a jump YOU ARE ORGANIZING.:P

I have talked to the DZO about this but he just blew me off.

Sounds like for whatever reason, you aren't well liked there. I'm sure the "DZ down the road" will gladly take your money, especially after you tell 'em how you've been treated.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

A Tale of Two Jumpers

Once upon a time two jumpers started at about the same time at a big Socal DZ. I'll call them Ann and Betty. Both were far from ugly, were fun to hang out with, and got through AFF without much trouble.

Ann got off student status and started looking for people to jump with. She would occasionally get on the "organized" zoo loads, but wasn't too keen on them, since they were, well, zoo loads. She'd show up on Sunday at about 10am and walk around to people asking "so what are you doing? Will you jump with me?" Generally these were the AFF-I's she knew, the 4-way competitors there, the people doing video for teams. And generally they had no time to jump with her.

Betty got off student status and got some coaching. She did a few zoo loads too, and found she didn't like them either.

So she talked to one of the 4-way competitors there who was also a coach and asked how to get on a 4-way team. They set her up with two other people at about her level and did a few player-coach jumps with her. Then they found a fourth for a while and did some beginner 4-way.

This, of course, meant showing up on Saturday morning at 7:30am and making a commitment to the other people on the team. It meant scrambling around to get a video guy on days when most of them were working for the school. It meant working with the competitive team to see when they could do some coaching. It meant blowing a dozen exits before they figured out how to launch anything.

But fast forward six months, and Ann is still asking people to jump with her. Betty is on an intermediate class 4-way team and turning 4 points in time.

It can be done, but often you get out of it what you put into it. And it's not always easy.

First off... I'll jump with you! Just tell me where and when. My favorite skydives are with up and coming jumpers.

That being said, try talking to the DZO again. Ask him if he can explain why?

I've seen people shunned because up-jumpers feel they shouldn’t be in the sport for whatever reason. Maybe they feel you’re not safe, or not physically adept. These people feel if they ignore you, you will just go away. They might not want to hurt your feelings. Who knows?? If this is the case, go to a bigger DZ and get some good coaching. You see, it's usually the teacher and not the student.

Or, it might just be a clicky DZ that doesn’t understand the value of up and coming sky goddesses. Again, there are places that do want to help you.

Check the DZ finder for a drop zone near you. Or, travel to one to get some help. Whatever you do, don’t give up! Most people go thru this at some point. Just think what’ll happen when you return to that little Cessna DZ with shit hot skills!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."