DeeDee13

Gratuity as a student

I recently started working toward my license and was hoping for some gratuity advice. What is standard once you start with a jump master? If you are doing several jumps in a day or weekend, should you wait until the end? How much would you tip for 4 jumps in a day? Thanks!

I was told by an instructor, if you tip after each AFF jump, then it looks like you're trying to buy your way to passing. I tipped at the end of the day and gave a tip to each instructor based on how many jumps they did with me. For me, I REALLY appreciated the help they gave me and I wanted to them to know it besides just saying "thanks".
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

>I was told by an instructor, if you tip after each AFF jump, then it looks
>like you're trying to buy your way to passing.

One of the biggest tips I ever got ($40) was by a guy I failed on his last AFF jump, ironically enough.

It is completely up to you but as a TI I always appreciate a tip.. I try and give an excellent experience for any Tandem I take, for that matter I do the same for any student I am working with from coaching to Wingsuit instruction, and will absolutely take a heartfelt thanks. At the same time, I will not turn down some $. The last tip I got last weekend I used to pay for gas to take my daughter for a flight at the end of the day in a 182.. She is almost 9 yo and had a blast, it was her and me alone in the plane (she was in a booster seat to see better) and we were having a blast! I would have been happy with some beer as well but the chance to cover the time in the air with my Daughter was Awesome!

Long story short, if you feel the instructor did an excellent job and you wan to tip, do it

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If you insist, I'll take a cash tip, but really, the best tip you can give me is to come back next weekend. And the weekend after that. Etc.

Beer for the dz fridge is nice too, but not required.

You're gonna be spending a lot of money learning to skydive. I don't see a need to make it more expensive than it already is by tipping me - I'm already getting paid to jump with you. But it's your money; if it makes you feel good to tip, then by all means do so. I'm sure I can figure out some way to spend it! :)

by definition, gratuities are voluntary - so figure it out for yourself and don't worry about any imaginary 'social expectations'

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

One of the biggest tips I ever got ($40) was by a guy I failed on his last AFF jump, ironically enough.

Just think what your tip would have been if you'd passed him.

I tipped my instructor on my first non-tandem AFF jump even though he didn't pass me. On the other hand, the reason he didn't pass me was I didn't pull and he did for me. I think keeping me alive is worth a tip, even if I didn't pass.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

Don't tip. Skydive. Become part of the gang.

Jeff

Word.

I never thought about tipping as an AFF student. The idea seems a bit wierd if the plan is to continue jumping.

Tandems, that is different.

Beer is always good.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Younger adults who don't have much income/assets yet really shouldn't be expected to tip - being a student jumper is already plenty expensive. As for people who take up skydiving at a stage of their life when it's more affordable to them, and they've got some disposable cash to toss around, tipping is a decent gesture.

I recently started working toward my license and was hoping for some gratuity advice. What is standard once you start with a jump master? If you are doing several jumps in a day or weekend, should you wait until the end? How much would you tip for 4 jumps in a day? Thanks!

I'm an instructor. I love getting tips and all but honestly, I'd rather a student who is continuing to skydive to just keep skydiving. You bring me a beer, I'll do the same for you another time.

Remember this and pass it on sometime. The difference between me as an instructor and you as a student is time.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If they want a tip they should work at a restaurant.

Lame post. The letters F and O come to mind. ;)

Yes, the letters F & O do come to mind when I think of the people that continue to milk students at every turn. I think the cheesiest thing there is are those tip signs you see at some places.

I hadn't planned on tipping at all, but when it was all said and done I did. I had such a good time and attributed that and the turn around from my rocky start(different instructor) to my instructor. It wasn't based on x number of jumps in a day or any other standard, it was simply that I went from doing so-so and sort of liking it to doing great and loving it with a particular instructor that I felt it was appropriate.