regulator

How many jumps did you have before you started jumping your own pack jobs?

I jumped my own pack job on jump #6, which was also my first freefall (S/L program). Back then, you always jumped your own pack-job - this was before paid "packers" existed; and if you rented your gear from the DZ, you'd always un-pack and re-pack the rig before your first jump on it.

I simply cannot understand licensed jumpers who know less about their own gear than their packers do because they never pack for themselves and have minimal interest in learning the fine points of their gear. By the time one is a licensed jumper (well before that, in fact), gear ignorance is unforgivable, in my opinion.

I simply cannot understand licensed jumpers who know less about their own gear than their packers do because they never pack for themselves and have minimal interest in learning the fine points of their gear

You dont have to pack for yourself to know about gear! I dont pack for myself but i do check out my gear and untwist my brake lines all the time. I have watched my rigs assembled and helped do maint. on them. So dont make a BS blanket statement that if you dont pack for yourself then you dont know about/ or maintane your gear>:(:P
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I simply cannot understand licensed jumpers who know less about their own gear than their packers do because they never pack for themselves and have minimal interest in learning the fine points of their gear

You dont have to pack for yourself to know about gear! I dont pack for myself but i do check out my gear and untwist my brake lines all the time. I have watched my rigs assembled and helped do maint. on them. So dont make a BS blanket statement that if you dont pack for yourself then you dont know about/ or maintane your gear>:(:P

Lol, somebody has a lot of sand in their vagina...

I jumped my own pack job on jump #6, which was also my first freefall (S/L program). Back then, you always jumped your own pack-job - this was before paid "packers" existed; and if you rented your gear from the DZ, you'd always un-pack and re-pack the rig before your first jump on it.

I simply cannot understand licensed jumpers who know less about their own gear than their packers do because they never pack for themselves and have minimal interest in learning the fine points of their gear. By the time one is a licensed jumper (well before that, in fact), gear ignorance is unforgivable, in my opinion.

You actually make a good point but a few months ago there was a new jumper that started renting from the pro shop as soon as he got his A. He also did his own packing. He had done over 10 jumps over a period of a month before someone realized he was not aware he should be cocking his pilot chute.

As for myself I was able to disassemble my new rig, (had some help removing the reserve tho), wash the container, and then re-assemble everything (minus the reserve of course) and at that point I had forgotten how to pack since it had been 1 time 4 months prior. I learned about gear in my FJC, well before I learned to pack. But I agree packing is a good time to get a good look at one's gear.

So I guess one does not always equal the other...tho I am sure most the time it is very true..but most new jumpers at my DZ do their own packing. Seems to be visiting jumpers, teams, and groups the packers do the most work for. (and tandems/students of course)

Also the packer I do use (when I use one) is also my rigger, and personally I feel better having someone else besides myself checking out my gear from time to time.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

I had a step through (made by a packer) a year ago and it made me nervous regarding jumping my own packjobs. I didnt want that to happen again and I just want to be sure I get it right the first time and never look back.

Even more reason to DO YOUR OWN PACKING
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Lazy ass me kept paying for pack jobs even after I got my A licence!

:P

If I'm going to a really intensive training camp, I still use packers, but otherwise I pack for myself, or even help others out. Cheaper that way.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I think I learned around about jump 14-15... I did get a help occasionally until I really got it down... I don't remember exactly when that happened but I don't remember asking for help packing much after about 50-60 jumps...

I almost never use packers... I like to know what's going into my packjobs...

the key to learning to pack is just to practice practice and practice...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You don't read carefully, do you?

Was i supose to read it backwards?? Its clear what you meant.

Between that and your anger issues, you're not much fun to share the playground with.

Good thing i didnt ask if you wanted to share the playground! BTW the anger issues will allways be so deal with it or ignore me:P

Lol, somebody has a lot of sand in their vagina...

Not really i just get sick of people saying if you dont pack for yourself then you dont know about your gear or you dont care. I have my personal reasons i dont pack for myself. And its not becuase im lazy.

Not really i just get sick of people saying if you dont pack for yourself then you dont know about your gear or you dont care. I have my personal reasons i dont pack for myself. And its not becuase im lazy.

I agree with you there. I do pack for myself, but i totally understand people that don't pack. Packing sucks. If i could afford a packer, i would pay one. As long as you have a packer you trust to check your gear, i think it's personal preference on if you wanna pack or not.

It's the people that jump down your throat and tell you to be a "real skydiver" you have to pack that have the anger issues.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

i just get sick of people saying if you dont pack for yourself then you dont know about your gear or you dont care.

Except nobody said that here. Reading Is Fundamental.

At least read your own fucking post! Good lord what are you smoking??? At least share! You are wrong, tuck tale and run or come at me with another argument.

i just get sick of people saying if you dont pack for yourself then you dont know about your gear or you dont care.

Except nobody said that here. Reading Is Fundamental.

At least read your own fucking post! Good lord what are you smoking??? At least share! You are wrong, tuck tale and run or come at me with another argument.

A quick point on logic that may be helpful to you here, the statement "All 'A's are 'B's" does not mean that "All 'B's are 'A's".

Nowhere did Andy say that all jumpers who use packers are ignorant about gear.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

John just let it be known that Andy has some personal issues he's sorting out. Its not his fault he was born a jackass that cant take any criticism but can dish it out all day long. There is no reasoning with the unreasonable. Besides Andy should know its hard to see when your head is shoved up your ass.

Everybody grow the fuck up. Grow some thicker skin while you're at it. If something wasn't originally addressed to you, it probably wasn't meant for you.

And I packed my first jump, and I pack the vast majority of my jumps. What you get out of it is what you put into it, for me.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)