Scythe

So how do I convince my irrational wife to let me skydive?

Well maybe shes not completely irrational. Throwing yourself out of an airplane isnt exactly normal.

I REALLY want to do it, and get my license but she keeps freakin out and saying I dont care about the welfare of her and the baby (4 1/2...i guess shes still a baby)

So how do I convince my irrational wife to let me skydive

You won't.

Its just that simple.

Decide now if your family is more important to you then a hobby. There are many many people in the skydiving world that will tell you about their ex-wives and ex-husbands due to similar.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

+1 to what AggieDave said.

You can try but she will not listen. If she has never been to the DZ, try to get her to go once.

My wife and 2yr old go a few times a year. She just whines about the money part, not the safety aspect. But then again I was a free climber when I met her (No Rope).

1. I waited until our son was 18 and out of the house.

2. I had life insurance that I had bought LONG ago. When I bought it I honestly said that I wasn't a skydiver.

3. My wife has undue faith in my AAD. I do nothing to inform her differently.

You must decide your priorities, make your choices, and deal with the consequences.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I heard many stories about ex's. On an other note you could take her to a dropzone so she could talk to people there and to instructors it might help her change her mind. Mine wasn't really happy with me starting but now she is fine with it. Once her mom was all worried for me when I was going to jump and she told her, "mom skydiving isn't what's dangerous for him, mountain biking is where he will get injured" lol

J-S
----

Well maybe shes not completely irrational. Throwing yourself out of an airplane isnt exactly normal.

Your wife's fear of you dying is real, although somewhat irrational in my view. I say that because....You and I WILL die of something, it is just the when and where and how that are still unknowns. If you never jump, you will die - I will die a SKYDIVER.
I would not be able to leave this world happy without having been skydiving. I feel privileged to have done the few jumps that I have. IMO YOU must decide if you can live without this in your life, not your wife or anyone else.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I REALLY want to do it, and get my license but she keeps freakin out and saying I dont care about the welfare of her and the baby (4 1/2...i guess shes still a baby)

Like AggieDave sort of said, your probably not going to be able to convince her, as she is probably not going to be willing to get out of the irrational mindset.

You might try asking her to go determine how dangerous skydiving is, and then compare that activity to other activities in your life.

For instance, do you own a motorcycle? If yes, then dropping the motorcycle for skydiving ends up making your likely hood of dying lower.

Good luck.

Well skydiving IS dangerous. People get crippled for life and die; I’ve known plenty of both, so her fears are not irrational. The sport has been a catalyst for many failed relationships. It has also been a very positive influence in many people’s lives (mine included). Only you can balance your family against the benefits and risks of skydiving.

The one suggestion I have is to find a large reputable DZ near you and ask her to go out and watch for an afternoon. I’ve found many people change their perceptions after spending a day at a dropzone.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Start with a good term life insurance policy that covers the skydiving - and I don't mean a 100K death and dismemberment cheapo package. It'll run $1500+ per year premium for $500K coverage or at least that's what I found some time ago. Choices are limited.
However, that may allay her financial worries. If you can cover that, then move forward with the other advice about exposure to the sport. Without $$ coverage in place, she has every right to feel anxious and no matter how comfortable she gets around the DZ, this will always be an issue.

The one suggestion I have is to find a large reputable DZ near you and ask her to go out and watch for an afternoon. I’ve found many people change their perceptions after spending a day at a dropzone.

That's what I did. She eventually did a few tandems and took an AFF class herself. She never went past that one class, but she still likes tandems.

She was pretty anti, but never told me I couldn't do it, only that she wasn't happy about it.

That's what I did. She eventually did a few tandems and took an AFF class herself. She never went past that one class, but she still likes tandems.

She was pretty anti, but never told me I couldn't do it, only that she wasn't happy about it.

Did you have any kids yet? 'Cause that's often a big factor in the equation.

Wow...Im blown away by all the amazing replies. Thank you for your time and well reasoned responses. I'll will take your advice and hope it turns out for the best.
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

I'm surprised noone mentioned the posibilty of getting AIDS (Altitude Induced Divorce Syndrome) once you actually start skydiving. First step to preventing this is to get her onboard somehow before you get hooked. You'll both be happier and you can enjoy your time at the DZ.

"Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof"

I think the description of your wife as irrational isn't fair. It sounds to me like she's got a better understanding of safety than you do.

Skydiving is a hell of a lot of fun, but it is dangerous. If you want to be fair to your family you HAVE to admit that you can do everything right - and still die when skydiving.

You should only go skydiving when you can be honest with yourself and your family that it is in fact, dangerous.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I second everyone's posts. It is very rational. I wanted to jump all my life. I was married young and my dad jumped in the 60's. Sounded cool but never had the chance. Went to medical school in West Tn. where there is a great DZ. Had a fellow student jumping and was dying to do it but my wife was against it. I was the bread winner and the father of three. I saw her point and honored her request. At 35 when she filed for divorce to go after someone else, she moved out and I jumped that very weekend. Fell in love with it. I have since remarried and my new wife isn't crazy about it but I was jumping when I met her and it came as part of the package. She understands (sorta). Now my oldest is 17 and has 19 jumps. It is MUCH harder watching him jump that it was for me to go and do it so I get to see both sides now, though I encourage him as long as he wants to jump (and continue to pack for me).;)

tell her you are going to eat maccas and smoke every day instead of skydiving. Then tell her that over half a million americans die every year of preventable causes, like smoking and obesity. She will have the cash for your AFF course in your hot little hand in no time...

Your question pre-supposes that there is such a thing as a "rational wife." ;)

Maybe the real problem is she's a control freak. Ask yourself: Do you have to get "permission" from her to do other things? If this is part of a pattern, you need to take decisive action to save your manhood.

Try this: Tell her you'll do what you want and to get her bitch-ass in the kitchen and make you a pie!

If you walk away without any blood or bruises, you're good to go!

CDR

through AIG

There's your problem right there. Your policy is covered by a credit default swap. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn in your man card as you leave the building.

Hmmm... so what would your answer be if it was an irrational husband not "letting" the wife jump?

Yeah, I was sorta wondering about that myself!!!
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490