nbblood

Contacts

Yesterday I got contacts, soft lenses. My vision isn't horrible but they do help. I normally jump with just sunglasses. I'm wondering if the contacts will stay in with just sunglasses. Anybody have experience that can say?

If I lost one it wouldn't be like I'm blind or anything. I suppose if I lost one I just wouldn't do that again. Just wondering.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I jump with contacts also. Without them though I would be fairly blind. I started jumping with gatorz and all I do is make sure they are tight against my face around the edges and I don't have any problems. However it depends on what kind of contacts you are using as some come out easier than others.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I have contacts too and am blind without them. I always made sure i had really tight goggles and even then sometimes when freeflying my eyes would start watering.
I recently got a pair of Wiley's and i was skeptacle that they would do they trick they work great even head down.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I'm not blind without my contacts, but with one in and one out I find my depth perception is really messed up. If I were you, I'd try to walk around the house with one contact in and then decide if you want to land your canopy like that.

I wear goggles or a full face when I jump. I've always been afraid of just wearing sunglasses because if my eyes get dried out the contacts don't stay in very well.

- Dan G

Actually I thought about that and tried it. I didn't have any issues. But that is a very good point. I'm not sure if I lost one if I'd even notice right away. Of course that may change after I've worn them for a while too and I realize that.
Blues,
Nathan

When I had contacts, i didn't dare jump without very good fitting goggles. I jumped a Z1 fullface once for a freefly jump, when the visor opened in a stand-up it was all i could do to make sure i didn't lose my contacts, ruiined the rest of the jump, and I ended up with dried stuck-on soft contacts with the weighted bits (for the astigmatism) stuck the wrong way of course, made for an interesting landing and I made up my mind to have Lasik done then and there.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yesterday I got contacts, soft lenses. I normally jump with just sunglasses. I'm wondering if the contacts will stay in with just sunglasses.

No, they won't. Oh they will most of the time, as long as you keep your glasses pointing directly into the wind. But sooner or later you're going to turn your head sideways, and high speed air will rush in underneath, and peel those lenses right off your eyeballs.

Start using goggles.

If you ignore my advice, at least take an extra pair of lenses and put 'em in your gear bag, because you're going to need them.

Even with goggles, I sometimes have enough high speed air sneak in somehow to blow a lens off my eye. But with goggles it sticks to the inside, and you can wet it down and pop it back in place.

Thanks for the responses guys. After some consideration I will be going with goggles or without the contacts. I'm just not gonna go with "it might be alright."

I really don't like the idea of dried contacts stuck to my eyeballs.

Again, thanks for the input all.
Blues,
Nathan

FYI, don't forget that another option out there is either prescription sport goggles and/or prescription sunglasses. My experience is that prescription sport goggles are more freefly-friendly because they're better at screening wind from all directions.

Sorz goggles. Tighter for freeflying. I lose a contact about every 100 jumps. Stuck inside the goggles, but i don't put it back in my eye, i toss it.

Double check your depth perception when landing with just one contact in. I won't swoop with just one in.

FYI, don't forget that another option out there is either prescription sport goggles and/or prescription sunglasses. My experience is that prescription sport goggles are more freefly-friendly because they're better at screening wind from all directions.

yep, i have these. and im in love.
they are just perfect for me.
http://www.sportrx.com/order.asp?product_id=P014

I wear goggles and a helmet and have never had a problem....until a few weeks ago. First jump of the season for me, some air got in my goggles contact came out, had to downwind it with one eye closed, good stuff :P

*downwinder had nothing to do with the contact coming out, just that the pattern was set and the winds shifted

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke