bobbybigtime

Heart rate whilst skydiving

Hey guys,

Has anyone recorded there heart rate during a skydive?

I’m a Uni student creating a multi-media art exhibit based on skydiving and biometrics. Before I went to record heart rate data I’d love to hear from anyone who has already done this and if they had some interesting results they might want to share?

Also if anyone might have any when I go to collect the heart rate data myself, best technology to use etc

I’ve only done my first level AFF but I think it’s definitely something I’d like to do during future jumps.

Cheers

Greg

Polar heart rate monitor. Its a watch with a chest strap. probably the best consumer grade heart rate monitors.
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

There have been at least a couple studies that have made it into journals, looking at heart rates among other things, especially how it varies before / during / after a jump and between novices and experts. As a university student you probably have access to electronic versions of journals online so you can easily search for them.

I have a SCUBA diving computer that monitors my heart rate and just the other day I was thinking about wearing a monitor for skydiving just out of curiosity.

Brian Germain mentioned a study in a course I did with him. He said they found the heart rate was highest during exit and deployment times.

OSU has been doing this twice a year at www.startskydiving.com in Lebanon Ohio for the last two years and will be doing it again next month.

E-mail the DZ and they can get you in touch with the Prof. who runs the program.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The OSU class also incorporates a GPS device and the Students wear both the HRM and the GPS device during the skydives.

I've also worn my Garmin Forunner (305) which has a built in GPS and HRM... and can be worn on my wrist, stuffed in a pocket, or worn around my leg.

The only thing I wish it had was a barometric altimeter and I wish I could more effectively adjust the altitude data when importing into google earth.

another alternative to get GPS, altitude and HRM data would be to look at the Suunto tSeries watches... Which I believe do have Barometric altimeters... and can be paired with external GPS units and HRM devices...

The t6c looks especially nice... although the price seems to reflect that... $399!!
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have a Polar S-710 that will record the heart rate @ 5 second intervals. The data can be downloaded to a PC in RAW format. I can make this available to anybody who want to volunteer @ skydive deland.

It also has an "interval" or "lap" function that will allow the user to hit the lap key to identify "points" such as when everybody starts getting up to check gear, when the door opens, just before you exit etc

Let me know and i can meet you @ the DZ
99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

Brian Germain mentioned a study in a course I did with him. He said they found the heart rate was highest during exit and deployment times.

I suspect the data will be most interesting for first timers - tandems as well as SLs or AFF students. The first spike probably starts when they're trying to get the seat belt on, if not when climbing the steps.

done it about a year ago... was about the 70-80 jump numbers at the time and got HR up to about 180Bpm
used a polar F55 model watch with chest strap and that was the max HR... so not too sure if that was at exit or on opening or when...
Take it easy... and if you get it easy, take it TWICE!

I have a Polar RS800CX. It can record HR at 1 second intervals, altitude at 5 second intervals and GPS data at 1 second intervals. If I do solo jumps my HR is around 150 and with other people its around 160-170. I've attached a graph from one jump. The thin red line is HR, thick red is altitude and blue one is speed.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I have a Polar RS800CX. It can record HR at 1 second intervals, altitude at 5 second intervals and GPS data at 1 second intervals. If I do solo jumps my HR is around 150 and with other people its around 160-170. I've attached a graph from one jump. The thin red line is HR, thick red is altitude and blue one is speed.

Just the sort of thing I'm interested in Arvotius, have you recorded any other jumps in this way I might be able to have a look at? Just the raw data without the graph would be just as interesting too

Thanks

Was involved in two seperate studies years ago and boths results found that a 1st jump S/L students heart rate peaked when emplaning, from memory about 165, when exiting about 160.
Experienced jumpers were cool except for a sharp spike when pitching and waiting for opening.