Lucky123

700 jumps in 24 hours

It's obvious you don't know Jay. You'll never, ever hear him speak of any of his previous record attempts.
He raises money for the charities and only does the "public parts" he has to. He also brings a tremendous amount of goodwill to the sport.
Jay Stokes is a very humble man, a man of his word, and one of those very rare people that *is* a skygod and you'd never know it.

I'm in the don't give a shit camp. Too much look at me, look at me, look at me in this sport sometimes....:(

Our sport has tremendous visual appeal. Both Jay, whom I've known for over 20 years, and I use it for charity fund raisers. It's not about "look at me", it's about getting people's attention to look at your cause.

Don't the tandems and video you and I do feed the egos in our sport more than anything else? Maybe you're just getting burned out.:P

I'm in the don't give a shit camp. Too much look at me, look at me, look at me in this sport sometimes....:(

It's very clear you have never met Jay Stokes, its fine you don't care, but if you are basing that on the fact Jay (never met any of the other peeps trying something like this) is egotisical, you are just plain wrong.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

It's obvious you don't know Jay. You'll never, ever hear him speak of any of his previous record attempts.
He raises money for the charities and only does the "public parts" he has to. He also brings a tremendous amount of goodwill to the sport.
Jay Stokes is a very humble man, a man of his word, and one of those very rare people that *is* a skygod and you'd never know it.

+1

How is raising a ton of money for charity considered egotistical? That guy is a machine.

One another note, why do they gear up on the ground? It would be faster to put it on in the plane. Of course you would have to figure out a way to seatbelt in for take off. Hmmmm.
BASE 1384

Everything about the jump has to be "street legal" as in, gear buckled/secured, and deployment above 2k. If they could even shave a few hundred feet from the attempt, more jumps are possible. But due to opening altitude...it *must* be legal.
Given that Jay is the new president of USPA, it probably wouldn't be cool if he broke rules.;)

Last time Jay used a pair of PAC 750s and a Porter.
They only used the Porter during one or two fuel stops because they quickly concluded that it was too slow.
Mind you, any 17 seat airplane (PAC 750) with only two skydivers (Jay plus a gear-checker) on board would climb like a raped ape!

alternative
How about static lining it off a trebuchet ?

I don't know for sure but assume that it's 2000' above 'intended landing altitude'. If he happens to find a landing area above that altitude, PARTY ON!!!:P

The canyon idea sounds good in theory, but while attempting 700 jumps in 24 hours and dealing with fatigue and night-time jumping conditions, it seems to me that it'd be a recipe for disaster.

I got nuthin

This sport is basically all about the "look at me". Be it PD Factory Team or guy's like this doing all kinds of records...

Obviously you have never met Jay Stokes, so you should keep you uneducated opinion to yourself. >:( Jay is one of the best things to have happened to the sport in a very long time, but you would never know it when you meet him. He is very humble and does what he does for charities and recognition to the sport as a whole not as an individual accomplishment. Jay gives 100% to the sport, the USPA, The instructors he mentors, the students he jumps with etc. etc. etc. I hope you get the picture.

So next time you are going to make a general statement of what someone is going to try and accomplish in the sport and their reasons for doing so please take a moment to get your facts straight!! If you decide not to do any research I would prefer you just sip on a cup of shut the hell up!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I'm wondering what the actual effort vs people who give a shit ratio is. Of course, if it's worth it to him, I guess he should do it. However, I can see people saying, "Oh, that's cool," and then forgetting about it a minute later.

What was I talking about? I forget.

I'd imagine the give a shit factor is quite high among all the people at the Wounded Warrior Foundation and the Special Olympics who benefited from the fund raising associated with the previous efforts.

Really? That is actually cool. And don't misunderstand what I was saying about it. I didn't mean that it wasn't an amazing feat. I meant that it was a LOT of work for little recognition. Also, the doing it for yourself factor is probably the most motivating. I was going to respond to the personal attack from someone else, but I've changed my mind. It's not worth it.

The canyon idea sounds good in theory, but while attempting 700 jumps in 24 hours and dealing with fatigue and night-time jumping conditions, it seems to me that it'd be a recipe for disaster.

It's already in that ballpark - the margin for error is razor thin. Last time Jay did have one out landing which, IIRC, was from a minor error, and it only cost a little bit of time.

The canyon idea is fantastic, but somewhere in this ~700 range, something radical will be needed to speed up the time per jump. You need a runway on each side, as well as in the valley. The catapult notion isn't crazy either, if it would make the requirements.

I'm wondering what the actual effort vs people who give a shit ratio is. Of course, if it's worth it to him, I guess he should do it. However, I can see people saying, "Oh, that's cool," and then forgetting about it a minute later.

What was I talking about? I forget.

I'd imagine the give a shit factor is quite high among all the people at the Wounded Warrior Foundation and the Special Olympics who benefited from the fund raising associated with the previous efforts.

Really? That is actually cool. And don't misunderstand what I was saying about it. I didn't mean that it wasn't an amazing feat. I meant that it was a LOT of work for little recognition. Also, the doing it for yourself factor is probably the most motivating. I was going to respond to the personal attack from someone else, but I've changed my mind. It's not worth it.

Personal attacks are against the rules & get deleted.

Think before you post. :|
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!