NiteQwill

Buy now or wait until later...

I have a unique situation that I would like your folk's opinions on...

I'm a new skydiver and with the right timing, I should be receiving my A-license in May/June (if all goes well ;) ). I'm also scheduled to deploy back to Iraq in November.[:/]

I want to buy a new rig setup when/before I graduate and with the current lead time, I'm looking at a ~16 week wait.

Question is: Should I just go ahead and get measured and buy my pack or wait until I return next year from my deployment (and just rent until then)?

The 'money' factor is not an issue, so that doesn't need to be discussed. (Although, it doesn't HURT to save money in the long run!B|)

Thanks again guys!
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

You might want to look at used equipment for your first rig. To start with you'll save a bunch of money you could spend on jumping and you won't be pissed when you scuff up your rig during a not so smooth landing. Also, you will likely want to downsize your main within 100-150 jumps, so you'll likely spend more time on your second canopy. That might be the one to buy new. Talk to your instructors about canopy sizing, etc. Good luck!
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete

Many agree that even if money is not a factor, buying used for a first rig is a good idea. For starters, as already mentioned, if you should have a few 'questionable' landings, you won't mind a little cosmetic damage to a rig that wasn't perfect to begin with.

The other idea is that you'll probably need a different canopy at 25 jumps than you will need at 75 or 100 jumps. Some folks will buy new stuff that they can cram a bigger canopy into for a while (which means it's hard to pack, and you'll be new to packing) only to replace just the main a little bit down the road. This may seem like an OK idea, but keep in mind that in addition to the packing issue, the reserve will be sized for the container, which is really designed for the smaller canopies that will eventually go into the rig.

If you buy used, you can get a canopy that is sized for you, and will easily pack into the container, and a reserve that is big enough for your size and experience.

Either way, buy as used set-up, jump as much as you can before you deploy for Iraq. Keep it in the closet while you're away. When you get back, you'll be un-current, and rusty as hell, so you'll want your beginner rig to jump and get back in the swing of things. On your first day back to the DZ, place your order for your second rig, which will be your brand new, money is no object rig.

By the time your new rig comes in, you'll have a few months of jumping the old one, and you'll have the skills together to jump the new one.

Easy choice... buy used now and jump it all summer. Before you deploy figure out what kind of rig you want to get, preferrably one that offers military discounts (Wings is 40-50%, Mirage?, Vector?) even though money won't be a factor it's still nice to save several hundred to over $1k on your new rig.

Get measured up before you go and then while you're deployed you'll have plenty of time to figure out what colors/options/etc you want for your gear. Order it when you're about 4 months from redeploying and then you've got a great gift waiting for you when you get back.

There's really no reason to spend money on all new equipment until you've got at least 100-200 jumps under your belt and you can buy something that is going to last you for a long time and you really know what you want. I know how exciting it is when you start jumping so good luck finding some solid used gear and hopefully you'll have plenty of time to enjoy it this summer before you have to roll out!

Question is: Should I just go ahead and get measured and buy my pack or wait until I return next year from my deployment (and just rent until then)?

Neither. Once you're cleared for self supervision and jumping canopies loaded at 1 pound per square foot buy a used rig which will be delivered by the following weekend. Get a new harness put on for < $400 if you can't find one that fits. I could have thrown my first used rig in the dumpster after six months and come out ahead financially over renting.

Assuming you want to go faster and down size at a prudent pace sell the main in 100-150 jumps less $1 a jump from what you paid. Repeat two times and buy a new rig when you're ready for the next down size around 400 jumps.

You will be less tempted to get an unsafe canopy now that you can "grow into" and have fun with later, and won't feel bad when you get grass and mud stains on your used rig.

If you don't plan on staying in the military for 3 years at which point you'd get your new rig (assuming ~150 jumps a year) you might buy new sooner than when you're approaching 400 jumps since the 33% military discount (dealers will give 25% off to anyone just for asking, and 50% of the total is 2/3 of the normal discounted price) will cover a lot of your depreciation.

Thanks for the input guys.

Which dealers/manufacturers give military discounts? I didn't know that, that's awesome to hear!

Where do you folks suggest buying used gear? I see ads posted all the time on the DZ, but they are for 120 or 150 canopies... Not exactly my cup-o-tea with my experience.
-Samuel Beckett

So I talked to my DZ about my situation...

They offered me a solution for either now, or later when I return.

If I order a complete setup through them (let's say a 150 main), it takes about 16 or so weeks to get everything put together. In that time I'm waiting, the DZ offers free, unlimited rentals and they progressively work with each jumper to downsize to the rig they ordered through the shop. By the time the rig arrives, when I'm comfortable, it will be appropriately sized for me and my ability.

What do you folks think?
-Samuel Beckett

Dustin,
I also jump at Elsinore and I am very familar with the rental situation at Square1. My daughter actually works there. That sounds like a good deal but keep in mind, the selection of rental gear is pretty slim. There are only about 11 rigs total. Only 6 or 7 of those are 190s or 210s. There is 3 or 4 170s and the rest are all 150s. On the weekends these rigs (210s & 190s) go very quickly. During boogies the line usually starts forming an hour before the shop opens. Square1 also sells used gear, most of it is kept at the Perris location. You can check it out on their site or even drive over to Perris and look for yourself. Not to take any business from Square1 but unless you plan on buying 2 brand new rigs before you get 500 jumps I really suggest you buy a used rig for the first one. Like Drew mentioned, you can always pay to have it sized correctly.

Either way good luck and maybe I will see you at the dz!
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Used it is folks! I REALLY appreciate everyone's input. I will be shopping around for a used rig at Elsinore or Perris and online.

What's the average used price/size I should be looking at as a new jumper?

If anyone sees anything worth looking at for a new jumper, be kind, and send me the info please. :)

-Samuel Beckett

What's the average used price/size I should be looking at as a new jumper?

I picked up a used Javelin J4 last May right when I finished AFF for $1650. I was very lucky and it was in great shape and had a Safire 215, RavenII reserve and a CYPRES w/ 4 months remaining life on it. I put 100 jumps on that canopy before I stepped down to a Pilot 188 that I found used on dz.com for $850. I would say that for a complete used rig w/ AAD that anything from $1500 to $3500 is reasonable depending on the age/condition/type of canopies and rig as well as age of the AAD.

I bought a new rig, main, and CYPRES2 last fall after I had about 200 jumps and love it. I still have the other rig and use it to loan to students and friends or use as a back up if I want to turn loads. I'm sure you will be able to find a good deal if you keep your eyes peeled. Everyone has offered up some very solid advice. Good luck!