siuskydive

Cobalt or no ???

THis has benn discussed MANY times. Search out the results.

Jump the canopy before you buy... Some are GREAT (My old one was one of these) and some of them will open like they have no slider. :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just bear in mind the statistic that unhappy customers on average tell ten people, but happy customers on average tell one..... or whatever the numbers are.....you know what I mean. People shout louder when they're pissed off.

Very happy with my Cobalt for the last 300 jumps. Much better openings, glide, and flare than the Safires and Sabres I jumped previously. Much less twitchy than a Stiletto. Best canopy I ever jumped by a long way.

Geoff

Those that only say badly of that many experts only say well should be questioned about their packing ability or of those that made their pack job, or then which the true reasons that motivate them...
I think that you have a low number jumps (25 ?) for to start to jump with cobalt, but when you have more jumps try one and you will get great satisfaction.
When you jump a cobalt you need only the sure of a good and appropriate pack-job.

roq

Or just maybe instead of making sure you pack your new Cobalt "just right" and deploy in "just the right way" or modify your rig by getting the "just right pilot chute" to get that really great 2 stage opening, you may just want to buy a canopy that does not need that much attention to get great openings.
Kirk

I speak for me and of my experience with cobalts and impulses.
I didn't speak about body position, nor of 2 stage opennings, nor pilot size. You were who spoke.
For me it is important as in another canopys but not the the fundamental. Just as in any other canopy the important same it is the packing the rest it is the normal necessary accessory.
Here in the forum any problem with a cobalt is national event.
If it went like this with other canopys everyday there were national events.
You should know that the stilleto was already called spinneto that there already who fractured neck or spanked with velocitys, sabres, icarus, ZP, and triatlons and nobody said badly of these canopys. Even today so these canopys is exlibris and I agree is good canopys!
Who knows what is a good canopy know that has to put the cobalt in the top of the good canopys in performance and openings.
I am no dealer and I am no sponsored from cobalt

Roq

Why not make your own opinion of that canopy? I'd say... demo it. If you like it, then get it. If not, look for other options.

Some ppl love it, some hate it. So far, nobody has said anything bad (to my knowledge) about the flight characteristics of the cobalt. The issue (afaik) is the openings. Demo it, and make sure you follow the manufacturer recomendations for packing the canopy. Jump it a few times and decide if it is a good canopy for you or not.

Edit: If you have 25 jumps, i'd say its a bit early for you to start flying an elliptical canopy. But I also agree that ppl progress differently in this sport. Make sure you talk to your instructors about it. If they think you're ready for it... go ahead and demo it.

~Chivo

Hey Roq:
I did not mean my post to come off as a personal attach and if it did I am sorry. I find it very intriguing that a company (ATAIR) has a canopy (Cobalt) that it claim to fame is really outstanding openings, and more than just a few open really hard. Atair’s fix’s for these hard opening canopies range from body position at pull time, packing, to using a 24” pilot chute. The Cobalt may be a really outstanding canopy however; if they can not get them to open softly, I personally would never consider jumping one. Hell the Sabre is an outstanding canopy if you look beyond the hard openings.
Kirk

***Those that only say badly of that many experts only say well should be questioned about their packing ability or of those that made their pack job, or then which the true reasons that motivate them...
I think that you have a low number jumps (25 ?) for to start to jump with cobalt, but when you have more jumps try one and you will get great satisfaction.
When you jump a cobalt you need only the sure of a good and appropriate pack-job.

HUH?
Dom

Demoing the canopy you plan to buy is always a great idea. I would also suggest demoing other canopies from other manufactures as well. There are alot of great canopies out there.
Hey one last thing, from different post it sounds like some Cobalts open hard while others open great. There seems to be no rime or reason for it so as someone in another post suggested if you want a Cobalt demo one and find one that open's soft and buy the canopy you demo
Kirk

With 25 jumps you shoudn't be jumping any elliptical yet. This is the problem with Atair's marketing. I don't care what they say new jumpers don't need the extra worry and risks they will be taking with an Elliptical. Any elliptical! I wish Atiar would get with the rest of the industry and stop trying to sell newbies elliptical canopies. I guess the want of money will make you do anything!:(
Dom

My Sabre has opened nicely for 8 years running.

I demoed a used Sabre with a pocket on the slider and sent it back for the 1000'+ snivel. But I don't know anybody that has one without the pocket that hasn't been spanked occasionally. I got nerve damage in my shoulder and neck from 1 Sabre snap.
Glad you have a nice one.

Even a Spectre will give you a spank every once in a while, although IMHO its one of the best opening sport canopies out there. Blunty, shit happens. When it happens more then just occasionally, then there is a design problem.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My history with Atair,
I demoed a 95 with the H-mod, opened nic for about the first 6-7 times, then I did a hnp and it slammed me. They sent a 20-22" pilot chute. The next couple opened nice then it was like Jeckle and Hyde! I started putting my hand under my chin to protect my neck. They sent me a reglar 85 and it was 0/6, all slammers! I bought a Crossfire 99 and never looked back. No special pack method and openned in a track and couldn't make it open hard.
I know people that have good ones that rarely get spanked but it still happens.