Tuna-Salad

Whuffos / How would you describe skydiving?

How do you describe the sensation of skydiving to a whuffo? Do you even try?

I tell them to imagine floating in a pool without being wet...

I tell them to spin around really fast for about 60 seconds. Then I tell them to close their eyes. Then I push them over and point and laugh. (of course, at that point, I'm pretty much obliged to buy the next few rounds for a while).

Hey, if they fell for the first two things, then they had it coming.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's like flying with your friends. Except windy. My wife did not forsee how windy it would be prior to getting in the wind tunnel.

I think most of us would agree..that there are a lot of words that get close to describing the feeling... but ultimately its the experience that relates the feeling, not words. Ive quit trying for the most part.. A whuffo will NEVER understand. At least those open to the possibility of jumping TRY to grasp the understanding/concept. Minds are very like parachutes... they dont work if they're not OPEN!! So, I'll still try to give an answer so as not to come off as rude or uncaring.. but truly... you only GET IT if you DO IT... good luck blues/soft landings
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

It's like flying with your friends. Except windy. My wife did not forsee how windy it would be prior to getting in the wind tunnel.

Nice. I brought my fam to the tunnel a few months ago since all but my little sis refuse to try jumping... and i wanted to show off my newly established head down tunnel skillz. My mom says 'I didn't like it, it was too windy' :S

had 2 friends back out of doing tandems this weekend, not an uncommon occurence. Just kick em in the nuts, tie em up and chuck em out!B| kidding of course.

I gave up. I just tell em I'll give em a call friday to see if they still wanna jump on the weekend and figure it out for themselves. typically the call is ignored or 'something comes up, but let me know when you're going again!' 'Oh, next weekend? um, I dunno, I'll get back to you...'

edit: or it's like shooting hallux in the face with a 12 gauge- it feels amazing until you realize there is nothing that can describe seeing his unharmed smiling outlaw face spitting buckshot back at you... true story!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

why would I want to talk someone into jumping? then if they die its my fault. They either want to or they dont. I dont talk people into shit!! Its better to mind your own business. And how do you know what shooting yourself in the face with a shotgun is like? have you ever done it? .....Then how do you know it isnt like skydiving? :S

why would I want to talk someone into jumping? then if they die its my fault. They either want to or they dont. I dont talk people into shit!! Its better to mind your own business. And how do you know what shooting yourself in the face with a shotgun is like? have you ever done it? .....Then how do you know it isnt like skydiving? :S

Oh, I see. You're a people person.:)
I take it you're not an instructor, and you don't know much about firearms and similes. How's your face healing up?:)