Tuna-Salad

What makes a dropzone a good dropzone?

I have only been to 3 dropzones and still new to skydiving. In your opinion what classifies a 'good' dropzone?

Extra credit... What is the WORST DZ you have been to and why? (Please don't name the DZ or point fingers)
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I have only been to 3 dropzones and still new to skydiving. In your opinion what classifies a 'good' dropzone?

Extra credit... What is the WORST DZ you have been to and why? (Please don't name the DZ or point fingers)

Any DZ that focuses on safety during the day and partying at night. Can you say Skydive USA?;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

the people

sure there are DZ's that have more amenaties than others. and there are DZ's that cater more to the serious competitor and ones that carter more to the weekend jumper.

but in the end it's the people. we jump together, we look out for each other's safety, and at the end of the day we swap stories and share knowledge.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

the people

+1

It's the people. You could have the fastest, biggest, & quickest plane, best weather, great landing area, great amenities, but it all means nothing if you don't have great people to share the sky with. :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

the people

+1

It's the people. You could have the fastest, biggest, & quickest plane, best weather, great landing area, great amenities, but it all means nothing if you don't have great people to share the sky with. :)

Could not agree with you more!!! Definitely the people.

Not naming any DZ's, but one that only cares about getting tandems in the air and doesn't give a shit if the experienced people get up or not. In fact when they lost a turbine and only had a 206 we were told not to bother coming on the weekends because we wouldn't get on a load... or if we managed to snag a single slot we stilled paid turbine prices. $28 and only got 206 altitude - 8,500 to 9,000 feet at best.

Yeah, that's why I don't jump there any more...
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

the people

+1

Could not agree with you more!!! Definitely the people.

Not naming any DZ's, but one that only cares about getting tandems in the air and doesn't give a shit if the experienced people get up or not. In fact when they lost a turbine and only had a 206 we were told not to bother coming on the weekends because we wouldn't get on a load... or if we managed to snag a single slot we stilled paid turbine prices. $28 and only got 206 altitude - 8,500 to 9,000 feet at best.

Yeah, that's why I don't jump there any more...

I don't blame you, one of our fun jumpers visited there. She had to fight to get on a load, then paid $28 to jump our old 182. One of the other dz's in that area wanted to get their mailing list and tell you guys to come over, he'd be happy to have all the fun jumpers.
The people are definitely the most important thing for a dz. I've been lucky so far that I've liked everywhere I've been so far, for different reasons though. Archway Skydiving in Vandalia is a great combination of good facilities and fun people. My new sort of home dz Skydive Chicago has the best facilities without a doubt.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

the people

+1

+ 1 I love my home DZ. The people are AWESOME. :)
Always be kinder than you feel.

I too have only been to 3 diff drop zones.. so I dont know if Im qualified to answer... but, in my limited experience, IMHO... Its been the people. People first and foremost that are safety conciencous (not money hungry! and willing to cut corners just to make a buck and possibly endanger people and thus endanger the sport) The DZ I learned at obviously was about turn n burn.. get as many people in the air as possible... neglect their feelings, desires.. treat the family and friends of the tandem jumpers with disrespect and short answers. Hire TI's that take on the same mindset.. and there you go.. not a very good DZ. Verses.... Have friendly, outgoing, fun loving employee's whos job is to further this beautiful sport by being ambassadors to jumpers and non jumpers alike. AGAIN.... safety is paramount to our sport! and needs to be on the minds of all those at a DZ. After that.. well... number of planes, loads... large open landing areas for multiple skill levels and swoopers. A deli/grill (place to eat).. clean restrooms.. places to throw up a tent or 2... all things that ADD to the pleasantness of a given DZ. No names on the not so good places to jump.. but will tell you quickly that I LOVE Davis,CA/Skydance.. top notch.. great staff.. great place to meet and jump with others. Check out the Great American Boogie June 25>28th @Skydance/see events & places to jump for more info. See ya there! blues/soft landings
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Hi Tuna,
It's been said,"The People!" Without the people, all you have is a piece of dirt, a farmers field and/or a wind blown airport with a couple of airplanes rattling against their tiedowns in the wind...........
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I agree that the people make or break a dz. But I think the management is as equally important. The people will keep you coming back but if you don't like how things are run you can only hang on for so long before you start looking elsewhere.

I'm sure you'd agree Kim since that was the main issue you had with that dz you mentioned.

I agree that the people make or break a dz. But I think the management is as equally important. The people will keep you coming back but if you don't like how things are run you can only hang on for so long before you start looking elsewhere.

Well, duh!!! The management depends on the people who are managing! :D I think they are the most important people of all!!!! :P

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I have visited four jump centers. For me it is about finding ways to improve my skills, or acquire skills. I am not looking for a place to party. I go, jump, talk jumping, and go home. While I am there I like people offering to show me, or practice with me, or ask me occaionally.

A good center has people looking out for strangers, shy folk, and rookies and engages them.

As to the worst, I don't have a large enough sample to give good comparison.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Good DZ; NON sLyride affiliated DZ. There's enough business out there, that no DZ needs them...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

All that evidence can't be wrong!
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I'm sure you'd agree Kim since that was the main issue you had with that dz you mentioned.

Yes Emily I totally agree! Great people will leave a poorly managed dz eventually.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I