stratostar

Dose your DZ's airport get Lear class Jet traffic?

Dose your DZ's airport get executive aircraft (king air 200, 350) & Lear class Jet traffic? If so how many lear classed AC are kept there. If not local how many flights pass through each week or month? Please name the airport and ident. & add to the list in the USA only please.

Richmond In. RID 8 to 12 Month (Appx. 3 per week) With two stationed on field.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Let me guess. Someone is trying to shut down the skydiving operation there, claiming that it's a safety hazard with the executive aircraft operation? And you're trying to get numerous examples to the contrary to prove that the two can coexist safely?

Let me guess. Someone is trying to shut down the skydiving operation there, claiming that it's a safety hazard with the executive aircraft operation? And you're trying to get numerous examples to the contrary to prove that the two can coexist safely?

The later Lear models would also subject the airport to the TSA's ill-conceived LASP provisions.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's kinda rare but we do see a few every year. Skydive Pennsylvania in Grove City, PA. One of our new AFF instructors is actually a private pilot and flies a very very nice privately owned King Air for some rich guy. He brought it over once for us to have a look. But he never did let us jump out of it. :D

It's kinda rare but we do see a few every year. Skydive Pennsylvania in Grove City, PA. One of our new AFF instructors is actually a private pilot and flies a very very nice privately owned King Air for some rich guy. He brought it over once for us to have a look. But he never did let us jump out of it. :D

What a selfish prick. :|:D:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think that it is a yes for both Byron and Davis. I've seen some small Jets at Byron (Gareth was trying to get the Perris DC-9 for the Byron Boogie a while back) and the Patriots fly there (MIG style jets). Davis has an L-51 jet fly around at times.

Clemson University keeps their two planes (one is a king air, can't remember the other) at the Oconee County airport in SC. The Flying Tigers SPC and Clemson's skydiving club operate out of that airport also. Not sure if that applies, but thought I would throw it out there in case :)We even have to shut down when Clemson has a home football game because the restricted airpace around the football stadium covers 2/3 of the airport. [:/]

Above the Poconos at HZL sees Kingairs regularly, and has at least one jet (older Sabreliner?) based on the field, plus State Police turbine helicopters and 3-4 firefighting air tankers (also turbines). There are as many as 5-10 Kingairs on the ramp at a time when there are NASCAR races at Pocono.

The only traffic issues I ever saw there were with piston singles cutting through the pattern and one a bozo in an R-22 who decided to hover in the main landing area with a load on the way down.

Darlene Kellner (ripcords on this site) could give you more current info if you need it.

Good luck!

Lance

HZL is non-towered, but I'm not aware of ever having any restriction on jumping due to landing or departing turbine traffic. Just see-and-avoid, as usual for VFR ops.

The LOC approach full procedure puts IFR traffic right over the field, which can cause a hold from ATC, but I can't remember waiting more than 5 minutes at altitude for one of those.

It is kinda fun landing 100' away as they're taking off or rolling out a landing. The main LZ is just north of the midpoint on the single runway.

Lance

We get everything from ultralights to DC-3s and military helicopters at Thomaston (Skydive Atlanta). The jets are no problem at all. In fact, larger, faster planes fly wider patterns, which provides even more separation than we get from the smaller planes.

If it's any help, you used to be able to get airport usage stats from the FAA Web site, but I can't seem to find the right page any more.

Good luck!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

We see Citations, Lears, Gulfstreams, etc all the time. So much so, they just doubled the rampspace for them.
We have a racetrack about a quarter-mile away and they host big races at least once a month, and every weekend in the summer (Larry Miller SportsPark)
They've only slowed us once or twice, and never stopped our operations (we fly a KA90).

Out little grass strip does not get any Lear Jets...

BUT since we are right next to Interstate 5 its like almost no one flying north south along it has ever seen the NOTAM for our little DZ.

On a weekend day in summer there are at least 40 planes blowing thru the airspace... good idea to watch out for what is below you when jumping.

At least the FA-18 /EA-6 flying their final leg out of Whidbey NAS have their contollers putting us on jump hold till they fly thru the airspace.

It is cool to see them down below you though..... its only a few times... that I thought how cool it would be to make a speed dive down towards them then do a track out of the dive since I am doing about 300+ MPH ...and into formation with them;):):)

If you had a UHF radio in the helmet that would be a hoot!

"Super Hornet this is Amazon, joining your formation on the right, what do you say we pick up the pace?"B|

I wonder if they do a barrel roll at break off?:)

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

They don't shut us down due to increased traffic, but we anticipate it and work with the controllers to keep the airspace as safe as possible. We try not to plan too busy of a day during known peak traffic times. Sometimes we keep ourselves to hop n pops which are below the outgoing traffic routes.

We do this for safety and out of courtesy to the controllers who are working very hard during the high traffic time. A little good will goes a long way.