GLIDEANGLE

Bob Buquor Star Crest challenges fading?

I recently surfed the Bob Buquor Memorial Star Crest databases and was a bit surprised with what I found. The SCR and SCS awards are still popular. However, I was really surprised to see that many of the other BBMSC awards have fallen out of favor.

Award.....Most recent award
NSCR......2008 (but it had not been earned for the preceeding 4.5 years)
SCSA......2003
NSCSA....1999
USA........2001
vSCS.......2005

I suspect that the lack of popularity of these awards is due to:

== Lack of awareness by new jumpers.
== Lack of initiative by load organizers and DZOs.
== Lack of interest in awards (“merit badges”) by some younger jumpers.

I am agitating at Skydive Dallas for us to spend a day this summer working on the SCSA (the jumper who organized the last one is still a load organizer… so we have a head start). This award requires an 8-way hoop dive and star. I am told that it is a real challenge!

My NSCR (2008) was one of my most challenging and rewarding skydiving accomplishments.

These awards can provide a great theme for a day’s jumping and really help folks focus on freefall skills in different ways. Putting some PR and effort into organizing these events benefits everyone… the DZO gets lots of loads, the jumpers get the satisfaction of meeting a challenge, the BBMSC gets an injection of registration dollars, everyone gets a reason to drink beer, and our traditions are passed on to the next generation of skydivers.

I challenge every DZO, instructor, load organizer, and “grey beard” to organize at least one of the BBMSC awards this year. If you just have a single 182, this will be a logistic challenge, but if you have a turbine... go for the more advanced awards (beyond SCR/SCS).

More info here: http://www.starcrestawards.com/
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Award.....Most recent award
NSCR......2008 (but it had not been earned for the preceeding 4.5 years)

Hmm, so what you're saying is that me and 7 of my friends had the honor of being the last to do it until you guys pulled it off last year. >:(;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I am agitating at Skydive Dallas for us to spend a day this summer working on the SCSA (the jumper who organized the last one is still a load organizer… so we have a head start). This award requires an 8-way hoop dive and star. I am told that it is a real challenge!

It really is quite a challenge... I made three attempts at SDD and we bolo'd it each time. The real challenge is the USA award... I "believe" its been awarded only 15 or 16 times since its inception.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Skyfest pumped out quite a few SCR & SCS last year. That's the only place on the east coast I've heard of with any serious effort to accomplish these things. It probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to push for the more challenging ones at that boogie again this year. I think with a good organizer there can be quite of bit of interest generated.

If I didn't have to travel to Texas to see some attemps I'd be all 'bout it. I'll mentione this around and see if we can up the ante' this year.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

We try to organize at LEAST 2 BBM Star Crest dedicated jump plan / events per season, for jumpers to participate in at Delmarva

Check out our past NEWS as well as upcoming EVENTS schedule, FFI.

With enough interest, I'd be happy to start this year's at least 2 DMV SCR/SCS organized jump attempts (and BBMSC education sessions) even during the MAX Boogie June 26-28, so visiting/traveling/boogie-ing jumpers can be welcome to take part too!

I agree, BBMSC jumps can be both a blast, and truly rewarding all at the same time, and are very worthwhile events & accomplishments for nearly any jumper to add to their repetoire progression, accordingly!

Challenge Accepted! :P

Blue Skies,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Almost. You guys were in 2004. This guy was in 2005:

2349 CONWILL GEORGE S. ROSHARON TEXAS 4/23/2005 9:48 PM

But y'all were ALMOST the last before us. ;)

Hmm, but that was in Spaceland so it barely counts...
;););)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Ah, but I know of a few NSCSA holders at Spaceland :)

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was disappointed to see no WSCR. The Women's Star Crest used to be a big thing. Even now, with all this Pink Mafia and Chicks Rock stuff, I'm surprised and a little saddened that the girls don't have their own award anymore for just them.

By the way, guys could earn the WSCR, but they couldn't enter until ALL the women were in.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !