shropshire

Decent into a volcano - wingsuit video

Russian extreme sports enthusiast Valery Rozov has parachuted into an active volcano on Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula.

Parachuting world champion Rozov opened his parachute as he headed into the volcano, landing safely on a sheet of ice in the crater.

clicky

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I followed that link to a video with a guy base jumping a wingsuit off a cliff in Norway. He has a malfunction, smacks the cliff face a few times, bounces off, strugles to fix the canopy, then eats the ground. Amazingly only suffers a broken leg.... and some dirty undies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7596528.stm
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

>What sort of active volcano has ice?

Lots of them. "Active volcano" means that the volcano is geologically active i.e. releasing lava, gas, steam or mud, or is experiencing a lot of earthquakes as magma shifts beneath. It's also used to refer to volcanoes that erupt somewhat regularly.

>Somewhat regularly could mean sometime in the past century.

Right. We're talking geology here.

>Given the context, that would seem to be a cheat.

Why? The volcano shown in the video is not only active, it's spitting stuff out - you can see the fumaroles in the video.

>Given the context, that would seem to be a cheat.

Why? The volcano shown in the video is not only active, it's spitting stuff out - you can see the fumaroles in the video.

Indeed - I couldn't see the video earlier - I generally don't do video on company network.

If it had been active like Shasta is active, wouldn't give it too much credit.