trab1925

Help me make a decision!

"Skydiver" sounds way cooler than "motorcyclist," or "biker."

Yeah but you can always take a chick for a ride on a motorcycle, you cant always take them for a skydive.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

This is the wrong answer for this website, but....

I've been skydiving longer than riding (although not by much - 11 years skydiving, riding for 9) and I have to honestly say that I think per £ I get more out of the bike than I do jumping. Having said that, I don't know what I would do if I had to choose between them.... And I also apply that opinion to now, not back when jumping was still new and therefore far more exciting for me than it is now.

Tough choice buddy! :S:P

"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Why buy a motorcycle that can do 165mph when you can go to the dropzone and do 200mph standing on your head?

Frame of reference, especially in America where we're not allowed to jump through clouds.

When you're close to non-moving objects it feels a lot faster.

Apart from the wind being louder, smaller movements producing results, and it being more effort to move body parts in the relative wind there isn't a lot of difference between 120 and 200 MPH in freefall.

trab1925, I've recently got my 'A' license and just last week purchased a sport bike. Yes, they're both expensive sports to "get into", but after you're in they are fairly cheap.....ok, not "cheap". but you know what I mean :P

Skydiving ($4,000 for gear):

I paid $700 for my last rig including the reserve. I've sold main canopies for $350 that I wouldn't mind jumping. AADs cost about $14 a month in depreciation and maintenance, with reasonable resale prices being based on time remaining in the life and maintenance cycles.

Motorcycle (3-6 thousand):
Insurance: 175-250 per month
Wear, tear, gas, etc...: $100

I paid $2000 for my first bike. The Triumph I bought brand new for $10,000 cost $190 _A YEAR_ for full coverage. The Virago I bought used when I wasn't much over 21 was less. Shopping around on insurance and not buying a "sport" bike really helps.

37 MPG including 100 MPH rides out to the DZ.. Rear tires every 3000 miles, rear brakes pads every 4000, front tires in 6000 miles, front brake pads every 8000.

Thats easy I just sold my bike so I could sydive its a lot safer especially riding in Florida (retirement paradise, illegal immigrants, people on cell phones:S
A guy I work with destroyed his leg when a teenage girl pulled out in front of him six months ago he was doing good had just got up and was starting to walk last week he Got staph infection in his leg[:/]the way it looks they might have to take it.

yea you are lucky, but I'm 5 minutes from a DZ that's open 3/4ths the year. :p

I'm pretty sure I'm going to just save my money but I'm going to try to regularly do some static lines.

Honest to god, flying is the only reason I wanna skydive. I fly RC planes, and love every bit of the concept of flying. All I wanna do is parachute, I don't really mind the falling part. :S Do you think if I got to know my DZ they would give me discounts on the static lines since they don't have to train me every time?

panicked did a 180 and nosed it down into a road and hit a car.Hit a car how many planes with skydivers have a car accident? Only here.
-recovercrachead

I love flying, too. However, skydiving gives me almost the same grins as flying at much less expense.

On the other hand, I ride a motorcycle around 15,000 miles a year. For someone in college, I honestly think a motorcycle is more PRACTICAL. But, is practical what you really want? Statistically, the risks of skydiving and riding are close to the same, if not a little safer skydiving. General aviation actually has a higher risk factor, from what I've seen from Dept. of Public Safety data.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

You need a Hayabusa in your life. If you can't afford a bus, then you should just spend your money on jumps.

Unless of course you DON'T want to get passed in every corner by those of us on Italian bikes...B|

If straight lines are your thing though... busa is king.

Haha! Nice EvilEagle...

Yeah, I'm selling my track gixxer750 and continuing jumping my ass off! :-) Keeping the street gixxer750 though....

Seriously, if $$$ is the decision factor, get a bike and learn to ride it. Keep your ass off the pavement long enough to where you can spend rediculous amounts of money on skydiving and skydive gear. Cause once you start you'll be hooked and the more often you go, the quicker you'll progress...

Just my 0.02, good luck with the decision!
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

Ive been riding long before I did my AFF course & back in the day riding was what skydiving is to me today. I had alot of fun on that bike! More recently I traded my cruiser for an R1 & now as a skydiver I can say that riding at 150mph is almost as exhillerating & fullfilling as some of the jumps I've made. The two are quite alike to be honest, although I can imagine riding at that speed being much more risky. I say plan to do both but get the bike first!

Motorcycle
Insurance: 175-250 per month

are you sure ? Where do you live and how terrible is your driving record to pay such an outrageous premium ? Even when I was 18 and had a sport bike I never paid even close to half that....

The Triumph I bought brand new for $10,000 cost $190 _A YEAR_ for full coverage.

I agree, it is a bit outrageuos. But after shopping around and talking to some buddies who have insurance, the lowest I could get was $1399 a year for full coverage minus medical on myself, that's covered. That seems to be about the same for many of my friends who ride.

I live in SoCal and have an excellent driving record. I think it's expensive because I just got my motorcycle endorsement a few days ago. Although I did take the MSF course, that lowered the price a bit. I'm sure getting a sport bike as my first didn't help much either. But oh well, it's fun to ride and I find working on it is pretty relaxing.

I gave up 7 years of riding and sold my heavily modded Kawi 636 to do skydiving.

I think you know what I voted on your poll :P

I did the occasional track and spirited riding on my numerous bikes. I have more moto gear than I know what to do with. But skydiving is a different, better experience for me. I'll be sticking with blue skies for awhile...

"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Well here are my statistics for ya to consider:
Raced Moto-x 9yrs along with street bike-
Broken femur
Collar bonex2
torn acl x2
sternum
6 ribs
ankle x2
1 tooth
3 concusions
scapula
dislocated shoulder x2
herniated disc l4-l5 l5-s1

Skydiving:
twisted ankle

The math is simple for me.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Honest to god, flying is the only reason I wanna skydive.

Then maybe you want to take up paragliding or handgliding. The more you get into the sport, skydiving becomes less and less about flying the parachute around (unless you get into swooping - but that's not really what I think of as "flying" its more of "landing"). And freefall is more about building formations than it is flying around solo. Of course you have wingsuit, but I've never done that so I can't comment.

Oh but landing is my favorite part about flying my gas RC planes. It's quite the rush!!! Like I said, it's just the concept of flying that's so awesome to me, everything about it.
this is by far the funniest RC video I've ever seen.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/human-rc-plane-human-rc-plane/2332434133

No brainer:

Skydiving, of course.

What do you expect if you ask on a skydiving forum?

:D

Well I'm not sure if the people posted are the ones that do both, or if they are just the ones that like biking more. hahah I'm looking beyond the general votes considering I will probably get a bike sooner or later.
panicked did a 180 and nosed it down into a road and hit a car.Hit a car how many planes with skydivers have a car accident? Only here.
-recovercrachead