Broke

Here I sit at a crossroad

The first part of the chain would have been jumping out of the plane in the first place.

This may seem a little harsh but I don't mean it that way...you posted your thoughts clearly and honestly, I'll show you the respect of doing the same.

By the statement you made regarding 'chain of events' it seems to me your head isn't in the game right now...you probably need to do some real thinking as far as your priorities are concerned.

Follow me here for a minute~ When 'skydivers' discuss 'links in the chain of disaster' the fact that they are jumping isn't one of them.

When you reference one of your links as just being the fact your ARE a skydiver, your head is more aligned with your commitment to the welfare of your family, NOTHING wrong with that by any means.

When you then reference your self-questioning of your currency to be jumping at all...it tells me that you're not necessarily comfortable with your abilities regarding your personal performance standards...again, NOTHING wrong with that, you are aware of what it takes to be safe and your are being honest with yourself (and us) about your thoughts in that area.

This sport is one that can get you hurt of killed, it's not a requirement to completing a living your life degree, it's an elective.

Something each of us should do from time to time is ask the question, is this skydive 'worth' everything I am and everything I ever hope to do...sometimes the honest answer is no.
I have more respect for people that look into themselves and opt out, than I do for the ones that continue because it's easier than acting on the answer.

Something happened to you that shook you up enough to question your priorities, if I were you I wouldn't do anything- quit/don't quit, until you sort all that out.

Like Bigun said, only you can answer that.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

This may seem a little harsh but I don't mean it that way...you posted your thoughts clearly and honestly, I'll show you the respect of doing the same.

By the statement you made regarding 'chain of events' it seems to me your head isn't in the game right now...you probably need to do some real thinking as far as your priorities are concerned.

Follow me here for a minute~ When 'skydivers' discuss 'links in the chain of disaster' the fact that they are jumping isn't one of them.

When you reference one of your links as just being the fact your ARE a skydiver, your head is more aligned with your commitment to the welfare of your family, NOTHING wrong with that by any means.

When you then reference your self-questioning of your currency to be jumping at all...it tells me that you're not necessarily comfortable with your abilities regarding your personal performance standards...again, NOTHING wrong with that, you are aware of what it takes to be safe and your are being honest with yourself (and us) about your thoughts in that area.

This sport is one that can get you hurt of killed, it's not a requirement to completing a living your life degree, it's an elective.

Something each of us should do from time to time is ask the question, is this skydive 'worth' everything I am and everything I ever hope to do...sometimes the honest answer is no.
I have more respect for people that look into themselves and opt out, than I do for the ones that continue because it's easier than acting on the answer.

Something happened to you that shook you up enough to question your priorities, if I were you I wouldn't do anything- quit/don't quit, until you sort all that out.

Like Bigun said, only you can answer that.

+1

The skies will still be waiting when/if you are ready to return. No matter your decision.. peace/blessings
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Hi there!

I think you are making things too complicated in your head. It is good to analyze so that you understand what happened, but if you think too much about it, completely ordinary problems can seem unsurmountable.

Your incident was by no means unique, the "getting back" syndrome is a major cause of injury and death in skydiving. I've not only read the incident reports, I've seen it happen several times. There seems to also be some of the "I can jump in this wind because everyone else can" syndrome, but correct me if this is not the case.

Try to sum it up to yourself in a short and easy way. Then find ways to stop this from happening in the future. Since this was a 100% human error incident, with no equipment failure involved, it should be easy. Make some rules for yourself based on this, such as: "I will not jump in more than 20 knts" (or whatever fits you and your canopy) or "When I have a working canopy, my first priority is to get to a safe landing area and land safely". While what you learn from an incident like this doesn't guarantee your safety, it does increase your safety margins.

Also remember, when you get frightened and stressed, like now, your body produces the stress hormone cortisol, which causes you to shy away from risks, even risks that you know from experience that you can handle. It's normal, and it happens to everybody, but it's not very productive or useful in itself.

It's OK to chicken out, and you are the one who decide what you want to do and what kinds of risk you want to take. There are many other hobbies and activities that you can do.

But do try to learn from what happened, whether you decide to keep skydiving or not. It's always better to understand things than to just run away.

And I know people who had incidents almost excactly like yours, but who still skydive. That doesn't mean that you should keep skydiving, but it means that it can be done. Some people choose to do that.

The above is just My Humble Opinion, and should by no means be taken as the Truth. I had a season ending injury in 2007, and really thought too much. I over analyzed it and it didn't help me getting back to skydiving or in any other ways. It was just wasted energy.

Oh, and I wouldn't use a general aviation magazine as a guideline for what is current in skydiving, I'd use USPA's definition. But that's me.

Oh and motor bikes aren't safe either;)

Take care.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Tough issue. Think about it like this. If you die you won't feel anything anymore in relation to your children. Medical evidence is quite clear that death of a parent per se has no negative effects on children. What does is the ability of the remaining caregiver to cope with the loss and consistently meet the needs of the children. This is presuming the children are securely attached to both parents.

On the other side of the coin you need to consider how remaining in skydiving will enhance you as a parent. Personally, I leave the DV with so much vibrancy (even after a mal) that I am invigorated as a parent.

At the end of the day, if you die skydiving there's not a better way of going in my book. You go from being totally alive and full of life and love, to being dead, in 15 seconds or so. The worst you have to deal with is a few seconds of frustration and then that's it. Not even any pain. If you can think of a better way let me know.

Meanwhile, if your wife is robust then your kids will be fine.

Of course, the obvious thing here is that chances are you will be fine if you continue skydiving

Medical evidence is quite clear that death of a parent per se has no negative effects on children.

I'd be very interested in seeing that evidence.

I agree that if he kept jumping, particularly taking into account what happened in his thought process, he'll probably be fine. But if he doesn't, he'll also probably be fine, and he'll have more time with his family if that pleases him.

I took 13 years off. Skydiving got along just fine without me, and I had fun during those years too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You know Jim, when I first started to learn how to skydive one of my instructors said, "When you jump out of a plane you have made a decision to kill yourself. You will die if you don't do something to change the situation."
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

JT,
You have gotten alot of great responses here. My 2 cents worth is this:
Your family is your #1 priority. If you should burn in your children will definitely be the worse for losing their daddy. I wanted to start skydiving when my boys were small, but never jumped until they were almost grown, and I am happy with that decision. The sky was still there, and the equipment these days is one helluva lot better than it was in 1988.
The sky will wait for you too; your children will grow up and be gone before you know it.....

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I cant believe you people.

are you saying that everyone with a family should quit skydiving?

Some of you are the same ones that will complain about retention. But yet this guy makes a common mistake with his experience level and everyone is telling him to quit. Thats bullshit!
Thanks Johnmitchell for speaking with some common sense here. You seem to be the only one with good relevant advice.
to the OP, Learn from your mistake. Stay off big ways when you are uncurrent. Dont pull at 2500ft. this event will do nothing but make you a safer skydiver. Lessons learned the hard way are the most influential.

I cant believe you people.

are you saying that everyone with a family should quit skydiving?

I can't believe you missed the point entirely.

Are telling everyone they should skydive even if their heart isn't into it? :S

I been skydiving 33 years without a break and raised a family.

I definitely had some introspective moments in which I weighed the cost & benefit, for me my passion for the sky is worth what I believe the risk to be...I did however change some of the things in regard to the 'way' I skydive when the kids came along.

B.A.S.E didn't make the cut, I promised myself & the family I wouldn't do that anymore until all the kids are out of the house....one more kid to go! ;)

I think Broke has some valid concerns if for no other reason than that he said he has some valid concerns...I applaud his honesty and know he'll make the right decision no matter what it is.

-And no matter WHAT it means to the 'retention rate'. :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You know Jim, when I first started to learn how to skydive one of my instructors said, "When you jump out of a plane you have made a decision to kill yourself. You will die if you don't do something to change the situation."

"decision to kill yourself" seems a little too dramatic for this instructor. Prior to AAD's, we used to say "you're a dead man 'til you pull." These days, it's more like, unless you really screw up, you'll probably live. ;)

"decision to kill yourself" seems a little too dramatic for this instructor. Prior to AAD's, we used to say "you're a dead man 'til you pull." These days, it's more like, unless you really screw up, you'll probably live. ;)

I have trouble with that line of reasoning also. Skydiving is not particularly dangerous, however, each individual is totally dependent on there own situational awareness. The trouble with skydiving is anyone, regardless of talent or training, gets to start out on the high wire with no net…

Youknow one of the things I was taught early on is that you can do everything right in a skydive, and you can still die. Shall I cite the death of Bob Hollar?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

You know one of the things I was taught early on is that you can do everything right in a skydive, and you can still die. Shall I cite the death of Bob Hollar?

One of the things I was taught early on is that you are more likely to die in a car accident. Gonna give up driving/riding in a car too?

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Without sounding harsh Broke, i think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Suck it up, it's just skydiving. You're over analyzing the little stuff and freaking yourself out. It's not actually that dangerous and only the egomaniacs will tell you it is.

This is the 2009, all the old hands worked the dangerous shit out for us ;)

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

You know one of the things I was taught early on is that you can do everything right in a skydive, and you can still die. Shall I cite the death of Bob Hollar?

One of the things I was taught early on is that you are more likely to die in a car accident. Gonna give up driving/riding in a car too?

Yes, you can do everything right and still die. Same holds true for driving, riding a bike, mountain climbing, a lot of things. Most deaths in our sport are attributable to human error. Sometimes, though, it's someone else's error that kills you.[:/] Watch out who you jump with, too. I try to practice defensive skydiving, but I'm not saying I'm immortal.

More likely to die in a car wreck? That's been debated back and forth. I'm in the school that, statistically, jumping is more dangerous than driving. Other threads deal with this subject in detail.

Ummm I disagree with those that say the sky will always be there. The sky will NOT always be there. Remember that.

I am not following you, Cocheese. Can you expand on this for me please?

Do you really think you will be skydiving when the sun becomes a red giant???:ph34r: