dzfrog

First jump after 9 months

So I take my cat c class over because I'm deployed to Iraq and obviously cant jump there. I'm more nervous about this one than any other of my many jumps (3). I deploy the pilot chute, look up, and my lines are twisted!!! Holy crap, welcome back to Skydiving.
So I do the kick and spin drill and get out of it. My nerves were slightly frazzled when I landed and I found myself asking if this was a sport I really wanted to pursue. Line twists probably arent a big deal to seasoned jumpers, but this was my 4th.
Ya, I'm gonna start shopping for a rig today!!!! ;)

Line twists are NOT a big deal or uncommon!

I did the static line progression where we are taught (and I currently teach) to expect lines twist. I describe them as a nuisance. Just deal with them and get on with it.

Be a little more aware of your body position as you open - flat and stable (and not turning). As you get more comfortable and relaxed your line twist problem will go away.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

I dunno if I agree with that. Line twists can be a big deal, depending on the situation/canopy. If the twists are high enough to distort the canopy, it can cause serious problems.

I've had line twists on an Avatar-210 and a Sabre 190 where I was spinning so fast, I was seriously considering a cutaway.

You're right though, on most student canopies, they're just a pain in the ass.
PULL!! or DIE!!

OK, ok, ok. I was replying specifically in terms of line twists for someone with 4 jumps on student gear.

Seriously should be no big deal and if they are then go to emergency procedures.

I have NEVER in my skydiving career contemplated getting back in the air. There has never been a question. Not after my broken tib/fib/ankle, my first cut away or after a year lay off.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I