npgraphicdesign

Jumping with a vinyl banner?

I want to do a jump at the end of the summer with a vinyl banner that will have the website name that I've been blogging for. I want to do is as an ad/promo for the site.

Is this possible? My idea was to jump out with a friend, get stable in freefall, then take the banner out and slowly separate until it's at it's full length. The banner itself won't be more than 4-5 feet long and 1 foot tall.
And of course, have a videographer take some photos and a video.

Any other suggestions on how to make this work would be appreciated. Thanks fellow skydivers!

and slowly separate until it's at it's full length.

Stitch the perimeter with binding tape for strength and add a couple grip handles at the bottom corners & you should be good 2 go.

I would either try a smaller banner, or log more jumps first.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Stitch the perimeter with binding tape for strength and add a couple grip handles at the bottom corners & you should be good 2 go.

I definitely plan to. Thanks for the suggestions.....what do you recommend the grip handles are made from? And where can I get said binding tape?

My idea was to jump out with a friend, get stable in freefall, then take the banner out and slowly separate until it's at it's full length.

Your plan so far doesn't seem to include break-off and pull procedures. How ya gonna handle that?

I definitely plan to. Thanks for the suggestions.....what do you recommend the grip handles are made from? And where can I get said binding tape?

Your local rigger, Walmart, any sewing shop...a vinyl banner will be flapping around quite a bit, the tape will strengthen it and make it a bit more controllable.

As for grips...get a basic or as fancy as you want, just make sure you can get rid of it quick when you need to...like at deployment.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My idea was to jump out with a friend, get stable in freefall, then take the banner out and slowly separate until it's at it's full length.

Your plan so far doesn't seem to include break-off and pull procedures. How ya gonna handle that?

That's why I'm asking for advice. All I want is maybe 20-30 seconds of footage with us holding the banner, and then start separation procedures at 7K or so. But in terms of what to do with the banner (whether to toss it or tuck it inside the jumpsuit), safety, etc...that's why I'm asking for suggestions of more experienced folks on here.

How about recruiting someone that has experience with banners to be the friend on the other end of it?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Based on several such jumps for ad shoots and one marriage proposal (attached)..you are wise to carefully consider how to rig the banner. it is not "just another skydive". A friend had one spin up rapidly on his hand as he let go to deploy and it was instantly a streamer firmly attached to his hand. For this reason, never use a loop of line to attach the banner. Here's how I do it:
...have the banner made of mesh material for light weight and less resistance, with extra binding tape across the bottom. I also have the message screen printed rather than vinyl letters which can roll up or blow off.
...Have 4 grommets spaced across the bottom
...Use lengths of wooden dowel attached with short lines as your handles.
...Use a felt marker on each dowel to indicate left hand, right hand and front of banner.
...I exit w/ both dowels in my left hand and the banner rolled up. As I approach the video (or future fiance) I unroll the fabric, glance at my dowels and place each in the proper hand and orientation. You don't want it to come out backwards.
...Once clear and ready to deploy, I put both dowels in my left hand and deploy normally.
...By using dowels instead of a loop I am able to move it from hand to hand, keep it under control and release it easily if I go to emergency procedures.
...Do not wear gloves or a top of the hand mounted altimeter.
...most of what I am suggesting is visible in the attached photo.

Consider the dive carefully, and make the banner minimum size. 4-5 feet is very long and can cause issues with floating up in the center. Dowels help with this as well.

Have fun and send us a picture.