p1p3

Jumping with dreadlocks

Unless you're in a money making (regGAY) band, chop it.

Dude, i think there is a bird living in there. :D

It worries me when those with long hair have no idea what to do with it. What else do you need help with? Next it will be the chest strap rubbing on your nipple rings i bet.:S

My hair is to my butt and pretty thick. I don't have dreads to contend with, but I've found the best way to deal with my hair is to hold it in my hand like I'm going to put it in a regular old low ponytail, fold it in half so it loops, put the band around it once, fold it again, and wrap it around again. It basically makes a low bun-type thing. I do it loosely so that it doesn't just get wedged in one spot and get uncomfortable. If you do it slightly off to the side, you don't get so much arch interference. :)

Thanks everyone for the mostly helpful advice.
First I wanna say I don't have dreads because of religious or political believes. Hey I'm an agnostic, fuck the environment, meat loving kind of guy if anything :P
Also cutting them is not an option really, have grown used to them after all this time and the girls usually like them... and I'm a new jumper so I still have a real life outside the DZ :ph34r:
I usually have them in a bandana even when not jumping. Will have a look at those hair gloves and see if i can find them cheap anywhere.
Rubber band are no good in dreads as somebody already mentioned, they can get eaten up and then they melt and becomes some oily kinds of goo. Very nasty.

A couple of posters eluded to a "buff". After Googling it I found this pretty cool item. It's not exactly cheap, but I think I am going to get one to try.

"http://www.buffwear.com/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php"

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Ok...so maybe Im takin this thread a little personal, but thats becuz Ive got long hair too...sooo,

to those flaming this guy for having dreads....

Have you forgotten what freedom of expression is and how it allows YOU to skydive... trying to take his away by suggesting that his dreads are gay (which by the way is just stupid) or that they need to be cut, is self defeating and erodes away at that which affords all of us the right to that self expression...

blues/soft landings ( to EVERYBODY by the way.. not just those with long hair )
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

blues/soft landings ( to EVERYBODY by the way.. not just those with long hair )

Screw those short-hair queers.:P

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

Unless you're in a money making (regGAY) band, chop it.

Dude, i think there is a bird living in there. :D

It worries me when those with long hair have no idea what to do with it. What else do you need help with? Next it will be the chest strap rubbing on your nipple rings i bet.:S

Dude, whatEVER you do,DO NOT get your nipple ring mixed-in with your 3-rings.. OWCH!!!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Forgive my ignorance here, but can you "undread" your hair, or do you have to lop it off and start over?

You can undread it if you have a lot of time and patience. My guess is that it would talk anything from an hour to half a day per dread depending on how long the person has had them. And the hair would be in need of some serious maintenance after that. But it can be done.
Most people however just cut them to an inch or so and comb that out as the hair is not as tightly knotted close to your head.

I dont see what the deal is really...I mean I jump with a massive penis that has to get stowed away before I exit. Why is everyone giving him a hard time because he has massive pipes coming off his head rather than his groin?

Clearly.
Do you tuck it under your helmet as well?

Sounds like a similar issue with you both having large appendages (on the head.)

I just inquired with a friend as to what a Dreadlock is and she said it was basically unkept matted hair. Question: Do you wash dreadlocks?

So basically y'all (the ones with dreads) are worried about hair, that if it were on a dog would be shaved, salve put on and the owner reprimanded for neglect of an animal. Man am I glad I went naturally bald, keeps the vanity down.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

Jeezus, some of you people are really rude. He didn't ask your opinion of his choice of hairstyle, he asked your opinion as to whether it's a safety issue or not. We as skydivers talk so much about wanting to welcome new people to the sport and help them get started, so how about showing some of that consideration to this newbie now? :S

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Jeezus, some of you people are really rude. He didn't ask your opinion of his choice of hairstyle, he asked your opinion as to whether it's a safety issue or not. We as skydivers talk so much about wanting to welcome new people to the sport and help them get started, so how about showing some of that consideration to this newbie now?

Well, after he said that the girls like it, everyone suddenly became more tolterant and understanding. Could dreads be the next fashion-trend for all the lonely guys on dz.com?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Sorry Skymama, but if you notice my reply wasn't to the originator. This is a thread and they grow and mutate.

I am older and am just trying to understand "the Dreadlock" If I am getting this wrong please enlighten, as I am not an expert. What I am slightly knowlegable about after almost 50 years on this planet is "Much ado about nothing".

Please someone explain exactly what a dreadlock is, not metaphorically, just factually.

BS

Dreadlocks are heavy matted coils of hair which form by themselves eventually fusing together to form a single dread. This is possible in all hair types, if the hair is allowed to grow naturally without combing or using conditioner for a long period of time. However, they can also be intentionally formed as well through backcombing the hair into dreadlocks.

There is the definition of dreads....

Do you wash or shampoo the hair or is it left "dirty", for lack of a better word? I guess having lost most of my hair and for dignity preservation I have lost a sense of hair importance. It just seems to me it doesn't serve a purpose. Kinda like wearing pants below the ass, you can't run, to get anything out of a pocket you have to do a side bend, and you gotta use one hand constantly to hold them up. Serves absolutely NO purpose.

I do miss my hair, putting SPF50 on the head sucks, but there is too much other stuff in life that is WAY more important to worry with.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way suggesting that Dreadlocks are or are not connected, with wearing pants low.

BS