p1p3

Jumping with dreadlocks

I started jumping last year and have 4 AFF jumps so far. I have long dreadlocks and have no plans of getting rid of them but I'm scared of them getting in the way when jumping. I usually wear a hoodie with them down under it onto my back. I is however not the most comfortable way to have them and I feel it makes it harder to maintain a good arch because of a lot of stiff hair getting pushed onto my neck by the helmet.
They also got stuck in the risers on training harness on my dz and that was scary enough 2 feet above the ground not falling. I can only imagine them getting stuck in a cutaway situation...
Anybody have any suggestions or tips about jumping with dreads? Anything really, clothing, good helmets or ways to get them out of the way while still being safe.
Picture is a bit old and they are about 3" longer now.

There have been a number of threads in the Women Only forum about jumping with long hair - some of the tips might also apply to long dreadlocks, though you're obviously more limited in your ability to do things like braiding.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_16&search_string=long+hair&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=50
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think the question that you really must ask is "Are dreads THAT important?" Is all that you are, predicated on how you look or is it something more inside? Isn't it really more about personal accomplishments or goals.

Vanity gets you killed!

BS
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

my wife had dreads when she started jumping. it was always some stunt to stow them away under a frap-hat and as soon as she went on solo-status she cut them of and never looked back.
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

One of the guys that I went to a training camp with this spring jumps with dreads. He just stuffs it in a buff and then stows the end of it inside the jumpsuit. He's a freeflyer, so he doesn't arch much, except at pull time.

I've got long hair too, but I just make it into a ponytail and stuff that into a buff. I tried having just the pony tail, but once I started to fly head up, my hair would tangle into something called "speed knots" or "Involontary dreads".

:D

I know several experienced skydivers with dreads, you don't have to get rid of them to keep skydiving, just make sure you stow them properly.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Dude, congrats on starting AFF!;)
I had a long ponytail - nothing like your dreads and stuffing it in the back of the jumpsuit worked OK. You can also put a $hitload or rubber bands on the dredas and leave it be. Never had my hair entangled, but if I did - it probably would leave a bald patch and release main - the strength of hair would not equal to the drag of a mal, most likely. :o
Also, on motorcycle I used a HairGlove(TM) - a leather piece that wraps around the ponytail, or in your case the bunch of dreads, and keeps it in a tight leather sheath.B|
PM me if you need pics, but any biker shop might have those (of course, they might not let you in with your hair-do:D)
P.S. had to cut my hair off d/t need to advance professionally (I know, I'm a heretic and should be burned) and it is a lot easier to manage... but not as cool.
Good luck, blue skies!

Couple of accessible hook knives ought to solve the problem. Try paragear or square one.;)

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

One of the guys that I went to a training camp with this spring jumps with dreads. He just stuffs it in a buff and then stows the end of it inside the jumpsuit. He's a freeflyer, so he doesn't arch much, except at pull time.

I've got long hair too, but I just make it into a ponytail and stuff that into a buff. I tried having just the pony tail, but once I started to fly head up, my hair would tangle into something called "speed knots" or "Involontary dreads".

I know several experienced skydivers with dreads, you don't have to get rid of them to keep skydiving, just make sure you stow them properly.

;)

+1

Just have to find a effective way to manage the known threat.

Bandana and helmet. or some kind of a skull cap & helmet.
One Jump Wonder

Didn't think you were gonna have to learn how to pack your parachute AND your hair huh? HA! LOL.... Ive got long hair (to about the mid of my back) and although is not as bulky as yours I have found that braiding it up, putting multiple hair bands around the braid and then tucking the braid into the back of my jumpsuit works good. Not sure what your hair "pack volume" but if small enuf you may be able to get it into the back of your helmet as well. Good luck... blue skies/soft landings oh... and no high speed hair knots!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

hey all! first time posting here...

took a tandem jump on my birthday at the beginning of april, and immediately fell in love...hoping to get started on AFF jumps ASAP..just waitin on money...

this thread caught my attention, cause im also wanting to start growing dreadlocks too! (waitin on a job that'll let me >_<)

on to my post :P

I think the question that you really must ask is "Are dreads THAT important?" Is all that you are, predicated on how you look or is it something more inside? Isn't it really more about personal accomplishments or goals.

Vanity gets you killed!

BS

many dreadies have dreads for spiritual/religious reasons...some of those reasons actually include letting go of your vanity :) i know once i get my dreads, cutting them wont be an option, as i will be growing them for my own personal spiritual reasons

rubberbands can get eaten up by dreads and get stuck in the middle of em, though im sure that wouldn't happen in the course of one jump, but they might be a pain in the butt to take out afterwards...

i would recommend pantyhose or something...or that hair thing for bikers someone mentioned earlier...

either way, those are some knotty lookin dreads...im jealous :(

I've got long hair too, but I just make it into a ponytail and stuff that into a buff. I tried having just the pony tail, but once I started to fly head up, my hair would tangle into something called "speed knots" or "Involuntary dreads".

;)

+1

Just have to find a effective way to manage the known threat.

Bandana and helmet. or some kind of a skull cap & helmet.

1/2 a dozen tube stows strategically spaced every 2.718 inches as the book calls for should do it...DOESN'T ANYBODY READ THE SIM?! :S

~&~

...ya can pack in pants with no pockest and always have a rubber-band handy, and talk about a convienent place to stow the slider after opening! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

many dreadies have dreads for spiritual/religious reasons...

Otherwise known as vanity. "Hey, look at me, look how spiritual I am!":P

(Nothing against vanity or dreads, just think that's funny)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

many dreadies have dreads for spiritual/religious reasons...

Otherwise known as vanity. "Hey, look at me, look how spiritual I am!":P

(Nothing against vanity or dreads, just think that's funny)

hehe...well...i kinda relate dreads as something similar to fasting (in your more widely accepted religions, such as christianity)...how vain is fasting? ;)