recovercrachead

Need help on Home depot Demo!!

Last, the Uspa was a waste of a phone call. NEED HELP PLEASE?

Then call USPA and speak with someone who handles demo insurance, knows demos. That would be Jim Crouch.
I don't believe they're "a waste of time." I've had to put on some pretty unique events and there has *always* been someone to help me.
They have language to help you sell a demo, they have printed tools for the demos, and other resources to help you.

Either way, you'd probably do best sitting down at a computer, printing out a planned agenda from take off to landing, with proper grammar, spelling, diagrams, photographs, time markers, etc. USPA will more or less tell you the same thing. It's a sales job, nothing more. Sell em' on the idea.
Unless you have a person with prejudices, this is fairly easy, or at least it has been for me.

Here's what you need to have a shot - a Pro rating, and demo insurance ready to go. That's the first thing that a moajor corporation liek Home Depot is going to need. They won't come within 100 miles of allowing a skydiver to land in their parking lot without it.

Thruthfully, if you can provide that, and you have the backing of the store manager, you probably have a pretty good shot at getting the OK. If you can provide two or three jumpers, and maybe if they will supply you wth a Home Depot flag you can fly in, all the better.

Maybe look into contacting the local press as well. If you can arrange for media coverage, the Home Depot would be even more interested. Maybe come up with a promotion of some sort, where a contest winner will have the prize hand-delivered by one of the jumpers.

As far as the USPA is concerned, who did you speak with? I don't know about you, but according to Parachutist, Ed Scott seems to have an endless supply of things o say about skydiving, so I would call and ask for him.

In the end you have to realize that you're dealing with a major corporation. They are interested in two things - making money, and covering their ass. Show them how your demo cam do both, and they'll play ball. Who knows, you might make a few bucks in the process.

GREETINGS CRACKHEAD, not to get off the subject but i was hoping you could answer a question for me . i started jumping at d,burg and did a few static lines at winterfest a few years ago,i went to vsa becouse they offered aff.this year i would like to jump some at d,burg as it is a lot closer and i can jump mid week. my question is what would i need to jump into the rondezvous(i will have my "b" by then) a lot of my friends go and it would be fun i'm sure. also remember, the trail to recovery is a tough road so don,t start cracking your fuckin head again

you're dealing with a major corporation. They are interested in two things - making money, and covering their ass. Show them how your demo cam do both, and they'll play ball.

Bingo...!

If the local mgr. has to 'sell it' to corporate, gotta have all the ducks in a row & quacking on cue.
~Everything legal and insured.

It's a matter of answering the old-who, what, when, where, why & how - in a positive manner that makes the whole idea seem worth the effort and expense.

Can it be done?

You bet, I do it all the time selling demos. The key is to market the idea in a way that will make them believe it would be a lesser event 'without' a parachute demonstration...and that the cost is negligible in regard to the 'return'.

One thing I've done, is jump into things like this with the costume of the corporate character on...chances are the local press will take a pic and run it front & center.

Can't beat 'free' publicity! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So i recalled the uspa and talk to Jim again! He must of read the post or someone talked to him about the post. He was a little more helpfull but still there is no info for demos (mystery phanflets). If we need to promote our sport the uspa should have something! Espically if they exist at one time. His solution to me was if they have questions then he can give me answers. I will keep you updated. I would like to thank my fellow jumpers who have helped me so far.
Blu skies!!!!!!!!
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

He was a little more helpfull but still there is no info for demos (mystery phanflets). If we need to promote our sport the uspa should have something! Especially if they exist at one time. !

There is so much information on Dropzone.com, it would be a cakewalk to copy/paste information. What have you given people at those previously mentioned demos? It seems you can speak about the sport, why not write it down?
There is a lot of copy/paste information
-Here
-Here
-Here
-Here
-Here
-Here
-Here
-Here
-Here
-Here

In other words, there is a lot of information out there. Shouldn't be too hard to cobble together an informative one-page brochure?

well thank you. Just did the jump. I was three feet off center of the X. My store manager emailed the legal dept. and they never got back to us. I was off the last two days and he was off today. So no no meant yes to me. I hope I have a job still.
It went off perfect even though the winds were gusting to 22 and the ceiling was low. Thanks for the help and the no help too.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

[:/] so then it WAS a "one man demo"

and they said no.....
but you Jumped ANYway?????

not sure if i get it..

was the demo sanctioned???or not??

just cause your 'boss' emailed his superiors about it....does that mean you had
permission???
was a NOTAM filed???

NO other jumpers????

I HATE One person demos......
they just scream of "ego-trip".....
don't you have any capable fellow jumpers who could have joined you???

i'd be interested to see if there is any fallout from this...:| ( since YOu yourself say..."i hope i have a job still ")

jt

So, you jumped into a LZ that you didnt have the OK for?

Any word on you still having a job?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I should because it went perfect. The customers and little kids love it. It was hard for the upper management to put there name to it because of something going wrong. I think my boss did the right thing. He didn't say no. And thats the important part.

And even if ya don't, what the heck, you were lookin' for a job when ya got that one...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I should because it went perfect. The customers and little kids love it. It was hard for the upper management to put there name to it because of something going wrong. I think my boss did the right thing. He didn't say no. And thats the important part.

No, the important part is if you made a spiel in the local paper, bonus points for a picture. Please let us know about that.
PS - you can always call the local paper or tv station and provide the pics and video yourself.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker