Ron

coolest mal I have ever seen

If it was not for the video....I would not believe him.

A guy had a mal. He landed and when they found 4 main lines were broken. He also noticed his hook knife was gone.

When he opened his hook knife flew up and got caught in his slider. As the slider came down it cut 4 of his lines....We know this since he was wearing a camera, and in the frame by frame of the opening you can see the knife fly up, get caught and start cutting lines....

He performed his E-procedures great, and won my award for the coolest mal I have ever seen.

Proof once again that even safety equipment can cause problems.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the video with my own eyes. I watched it over and over again. Pretty amazing. I wonder how many millions of tries it would take to replicate the same mal.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the video with my own eyes. I watched it over and over again. Pretty amazing. I wonder how many millions of tries it would take to replicate the same mal.

Well, based on this thread, there are at least two cases of it having happened. I am not aware of lost hook knifes being a common occurrence so I'm going to guess that there have been significantly less than a million tries.

Ivan

If it was not for the video....I would not believe him.

A guy had a mal. He landed and when they found 4 main lines were broken. He also noticed his hook knife was gone.

When he opened his hook knife flew up and got caught in his slider. As the slider came down it cut 4 of his lines....We know this since he was wearing a camera, and in the frame by frame of the opening you can see the knife fly up, get caught and start cutting lines....

He performed his E-procedures great, and won my award for the coolest mal I have ever seen.

Proof once again that even safety equipment can cause problems.

How did the hook knife come loose?
In the case of the one Bill is talking about, the hook knife was on the jumpers right leg strap and he knocked it loose during the pull sequence. It flew right up into the lines and began cutting. I also would have had a hard time believing it if I didn't see it, but there was good video.

I wonder how many millions of tries it would take to replicate the same mal.

Just to add to the statistical computation - what are the odds of the only two incidents both being caught on video?!?!

Truly amazing...

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

I wonder how many millions of tries it would take to replicate the same mal.

Just to add to the statistical computation - what are the odds of the only two incidents both being caught on video?!?!

...and both videos not beeing published. ;)

SCNR

:ph34r:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Well, based on this thread, there are at least two cases of it having happened. I am not aware of lost hook knifes being a common occurrence so I'm going to guess that there have been significantly less than a million tries.

Well, it seems I spoke too soon. I lost my hook knife on opening today. I watched it fly away very close to my canopy. Luckily, lines and canopy escaped unscathed.

Ivan

Ivan

My hook knife (chest mounted) was either lost or stolen recently. I doubt it, but if it was lost during an opening - I was a lucky one too...

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

I don't have the video, and if I did, I don't have the ability to post it anyway.

Sorry even if I had the video I would not post it without the owners permission.

BTW, I lost my hook knife.....
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334