jclalor

One fast bird

So would I. These are estimated speeds. The REAL speed of a Paragrine falcon has been clocked over 300 mph. if you look closely at the Norm Kent video footage, you will see Fearful had no problem keeping up and spent a large portion of the dive throwing out the boards to slow down. you will be completely SMOKED!

Do search for "Dreadful" the peregrine featured in Norman Kent's "Willing To Fly" -- there was a National Geographic piece done on her after the movie.

The goal was to try to determine a peregrine's top speed in a stoop (that's falconry term for a dive). It was a lot more scientific than that video -- they took the workings from a Pro Track and strapped it to her and she followed her handler out of a 182. The top speed recorded by the Pro Track was 241 mph.

She never really looked to be at her extreme effort, so speeds of 250+ may be more than just myth.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I bet I could give her a good race....:)

I would love to see video of that race!!

So would I;)

http://gssdb.speedskydiving.eu/hall_of_fame.php?links=off&country=211

Well at just over 260mph, and based on the 240mph rates reached above, with theories of higher it would be an interesting race. :D Be kind of hard to get video though. Unless you were the one filming! ;)

I bet I could give her a good race....:)

I would love to see video of that race!!

So would I;)

http://gssdb.speedskydiving.eu/hall_of_fame.php?links=off&country=211

Well at just over 260mph, and based on the 240mph rates reached above, with theories of higher it would be an interesting race. :D Be kind of hard to get video though. Unless you were the one filming! ;)

That is an average number for the measured kilometer from about 9000' down to 5500'

Actual top speeds are over 300MPH

That is fun stuff.. trust me:)

Do search for "Dreadful" the peregrine featured in Norman Kent's "Willing To Fly" -- there was a National Geographic piece done on her after the movie.

This one?

Yep! Sorry I got your name wrong, though, Frightful.:$

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

The peregrine falcon kicks ASS. I never heard of 300mph, but definitely 200 and it's the fastest animal on the planet. VISCIOUS predator too. Pigeons beware.

I was sailing downriver on the Columbia River several years ago, moving my sloop from Portland down to Astoria. As I passed Longview WA and almost directly under the Longview Bridge I saw a Peregrine dive and turn a pigeon into a cloud of feathers about 60 feet over our heads..... you could hear the the bird in the stoop...... and the thud asit hit the pigeon and poof.. huge cloud of feathers. It took the falcon about 30 feet to stabilize its flight with the rest of the pigeon in its talons. I REALLLLY wish I had video of it.. just amazing to watch.

I was sailing downriver on the Columbia River several years ago, moving my sloop from Portland down to Astoria. As I passed Longview WA and almost directly under the Longview Bridge I saw a Peregrine dive and turn a pigeon into a cloud of feathers about 60 feet over our heads..... you could hear the the bird in the stoop...... and the thud asit hit the pigeon and poof.. huge cloud of feathers. It took the falcon about 30 feet to stabilize its flight with the rest of the pigeon in its talons. I REALLLLY wish I had video of it.. just amazing to watch.

HOLY SHIT! Dude, I don't need a video; that description was perfect.