MADPROPS

would you let me jump a smaller chute at your dz?

sorry, didn't feel like reading all the responses.
I would not be in any position to stop you from jumping at my dz.
If I were to read everything, I may WANT to stop you.
But it's not up to me. so If they let you jump...
I may have to jump with you whether I want to or not.
So I'll just jump and hope you don't kill me.
You probably won't ;)

But what do I know?

i`m not saying i`m all bad ass. Just wanted to know what you guys and girls think

that's what everybody always says.... but then you read the incident reports and you got some broke up or dead jumper that did some stupid shit with sometimes even perfectly functioning equipment that they were inexperienced for, and was faster than their brains capability to process thought.

I didn't respond to your poll, but if you want to know what I think.

I think it's gay to call a canopy especially a HP canopy a chute...

be careful out there bud don't take anybody with you.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

sorry, didn't feel like reading all the responses.
I would not be in any position to stop you from jumping at my dz.
If I were to read everything, I may WANT to stop you.
But it's not up to me. so If they let you jump...
I may have to jump with you whether I want to or not.
So I'll just jump and hope you don't kill me.
You probably won't ;)

thank you sir ill do my best not to :P

note to any one who is getting upset i am just asking is that a crime [:/]
live and let live

from your poll

yes get a 135 12 / 15%

[:/]

hahaha hey i ticked the 150 box

i think all the people the ticked that box have handycams lol

but all jokes aside i`m flying a 135 ft hellracer *CANOPY* right now with about 20 lbs more on me then when i`m skydiving and my landings have been fine.

i was just thinking going back to a 175 would be boring with out fronts on landing but many people at my dz will yell at me if i`m on my fronts :$
live and let live

I didn't get upset with your question; I think it's a good one. Did you get upset at my answer?
My point is that, while everybody can have an opinion about this, most are not able to do anything about it.
I'm not, so you don't have to call me sir. :$
The last line might be hard to understand. I said that because I usually land after everybody else.
But what do I know?

Check out this document, http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

There is a great section starting on page 7 titled "Essential Maneuvers"

Practising these will help bring more fun to flying the 175 and improve your skills so you can safely downsize. B|

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

all jokes aside i`m flying a 135 ft hellracer *CANOPY* right now with about 20 lbs more on me then when i`m skydiving and my landings have been fine

Super! That's so great to hear.

Now learn how to do it on a DZ, over flat ground, with other people around, both in the air and on the ground. It's not the same as what you're doing now. It's close, but not the same.

If you happen to find out the hard way what the differences are, then that's a mess the DZO has to deal with.

And really, talking about front riser input on final with 50 jumps is not going to buy you any goodwill with the management at any DZ.

It's one of the downsides of skydiving, you have to deal with DZOs. (and manifest, and pilots, and other jumpers, and on and on and on).

that makes sense

i think i would like to go to the top and do a go and throw. thats what i did last time i moved down from a 190 to a 175. plus there is just something about hop and pops at 10000 feet are just fun Smile

Full altitude hop n pops make a lot of sense too, pity our airspace is heavily controlled and we're not allowed canopies above 5000ft :(

People can get VERY unfocused and tense on the long ride to height in the sardine tin C182.

Can you hook and swoop your 175?
180/270/360/540?
Do you plan on hooking the smaller chute?
Katana, Velocity? What are you thinking about getting?

OK, I'll stop now.:P

Do yourself, your body and the rest of us a huge favor. Drive up to Eden North and spend a few days jumping under the eye of the "Plaid Jackets" CRW guys. Take one of the Doug Forth canopy control camps they have there each summer. Listen and learn. It will be time and effort well spent. You just missed the "Canadian Invasion" they host in Eloy each winter. A very good way to stay current and attend canopy, rw and freeflying camps in winter. Stop trying to learn how to skydive here at DZ.com.

Just my 2 cents (US!) worth.

Can you hook and swoop your 175?
180/270/360/540?
Do you plan on hooking the smaller chute?
Katana, Velocity? What are you thinking about getting?

OK, I'll stop now.:P

Do yourself, your body and the rest of us a huge favor. Drive up to Eden North and spend a few days jumping under the eye of the "Plaid Jackets" CRW guys. Take one of the Doug Forth canopy control camps they have there each summer. Listen and learn. It will be time and effort well spent. You just missed the "Canadian Invasion" they host in Eloy each winter. A very good way to stay current and attend canopy, rw and freeflying camps in winter. Stop trying to learn how to skydive here at DZ.com.

Just my 2 cents (US!) worth.

not trying to learn how to jump here just seeing what most people think. I tryed to get time off to go to eloy but i just could not swing it [:/]

as for the canopy i would get if or when i do downsize
i have not really thought about that one yet i like my monarch maybe a 155 of the same one
live and let live

I didn't get upset with your question; I think it's a good one. Did you get upset at my answer?
My point is that, while everybody can have an opinion about this, most are not able to do anything about it.
I'm not, so you don't have to call me sir. :$
The last line might be hard to understand. I said that because I usually land after everybody else.

not mad at all thought it was a nice post
your one of theomly people that was not like .... don`t do it. you will die and kill me as well for sure.

alot of people missed the point so ill say it again. i was asking if me speed riding and foot launching a 135 all winter long would make you think twice about letting me jump a smaller wing. and why you would let me or why you would not let me.
live and let live

all jokes aside i`m flying a 135 ft hellracer *CANOPY* right now with about 20 lbs more on me then when i`m skydiving and my landings have been fine

Super! That's so great to hear.

Now learn how to do it on a DZ, over flat ground, with other people around, both in the air and on the ground. It's not the same as what you're doing now. It's close, but not the same.

If you happen to find out the hard way what the differences are, then that's a mess the DZO has to deal with.

And really, talking about front riser input on final with 50 jumps is not going to buy you any goodwill with the management at any DZ.

It's one of the downsides of skydiving, you have to deal with DZOs. (and manifest, and pilots, and other jumpers, and on and on and on).

I have had many landings on flat ground with my 135 and i am landing in a much smaller place then the lz at my dz most of the time with alot of trees in the way :D
you make a good point about other canopys in the air tho
live and let live

As I read this thread I hear negotiation from another 50 jump wonder. Anyone can land a 'postage stamp' in ultimate conditions, what are you gonna do when you land in a sudden 25 mph cross wind. I watched a VERY good friend pound under a Sabre 150 with 5 times as many jumps as you have. A wind made it impossible to turn in time, slammed him, took the rest of the season to reflect. Every year instructors are forced to ground students that show up in the spring with their Velocity 99s and a bunch of stories. I'm sure there are DZs around that will accept your 50 jumps and your new 120 sq. ft. eliptical, but it won't be ours. Might wanna check the differences between your Hellracer and a Stiletto....Just Sayin'

The Sky is NOT the Limit, the Dirt Is!!

i was just thinking going back to a 175 would be boring with out fronts on landing but many people at my dz will yell at me if i`m on my fronts :$

This made me laugh and reminded me of a conversation I was having with a friend recently about solo jumps being boring. I stopped and thought about it for a minute, then I was like "What the hell is wrong with me? Did I just call jumping from an airplane BORING?!?"

Your landing is very important, but it's only one small part of your skydive. Maybe do something more "exciting" in freefall? Or do some higher speed canopy exercises before you start your landing pattern (if you have clear air space)? That way you could have your thrills above 1000 feet for a few hundred jumps while you gain the experience to jump a smaller canopy.

This made me laugh and reminded me of a conversation I was having with a friend recently about solo jumps being boring. I stopped and thought about it for a minute, then I was like "What the hell is wrong with me? Did I just call jumping from an airplane BORING?!?"

Your landing is very important, but it's only one small part of your skydive. Maybe do something more "exciting" in freefall? Or do some higher speed canopy exercises before you start your landing pattern (if you have clear air space)? That way you could have your thrills above 1000 feet for a few hundred jumps while you gain the experience to jump a smaller canopy.

wow you just blew my mind.... really thought you make a good point. thank you for bringing that point up
live and let live

wow you just blew my mind.... really thought you make a good point. thank you for bringing that point up

Glad I could provide another perspective. Last year I jumped canopies ranging from 117 (loaded at about 1.2) to 218 sq. ft. including both rectangular and semi-elliptical, 7 and 9 cell, ZP and F1-11. There was at least one really fun or memorable thing about each one of those jumps.

That said, you don't have to downsize to get a more "fun" or responsive canopy. Have you tried out a semi-elliptical 170? As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Safire2, Sabre2 and Pilot (as well as the Spectre, Storm, Silhouette, and several others) all come in sizes between 168-170, and all are available to be demo'd so you can try them out before you buy one. Or maybe a friend at your dropzone has one you can try for a few jumps?

Glad I could provide another perspective. Last year I jumped canopies ranging from 117 (loaded at about 1.2) to 218 sq. ft. including both rectangular and semi-elliptical, 7 and 9 cell, ZP and F1-11. There was at least one really fun or memorable thing about each one of those jumps.

That said, you don't have to downsize to get a more "fun" or responsive canopy. Have you tried out a semi-elliptical 170? As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Safire2, Sabre2 and Pilot (as well as the Spectre, Storm, Silhouette, and several others) all come in sizes between 168-170, and all are available to be demo'd so you can try them out before you buy one. Or maybe a friend at your dropzone has one you can try for a few jumps?

yea i think ill ask some ppl at my dz if i can try out there stuff

but untill then ill stick to speedflying :D
live and let live

yea i think ill ask some ppl at my dz if i can try out there stuff

but untill then ill stick to speedflying :D

I think this is a good idea. If you ask, you might find a demo rig, or someone on your dz that would be willing to let you jump a sabre 2 170, so you can feel the performance difference between a square and semi elliptical canopy.

Also, as pointed out before, unlike speed flying, where your canopy is already out and "deployed" for lack of a better word, when you deploy your parachute in free fall, there are many other things than just landing to worry about. Body positioning, are you getting line twists? 180 openings? Skills that will become critical as you downsize. It takes time to build instinctive responses and muscle memory. :)
I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

from your poll

yes get a 135 12 / 15%

but all jokes aside i`m flying a 135 ft hellracer *CANOPY* right now with about 20 lbs more on me then when i`m skydiving and my landings have been fine.

More like beat you with a rubber hose...

from your poll

yes get a 135 12 / 15%

More like beat you with a rubber hose...

Someone who shall remain nameless, but again was a quick moving new skydiver, thought landing on fronts was a good idea too! Impersonated a lawn dart and broke his ass.
I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Someone who shall remain nameless, but again was a quick moving new skydiver, thought landing on fronts was a good idea too! Impersonated a lawn dart and broke his ass.

I know of someone who did the same thing :S
Broke his back in several places, fractured tail bone and fractured femur and pelvis.

he is still not back in the air, but when he is Im sure he will have calmed things down a lot going on recent conversations with him,.....

What she said.

If your Monarch is boring you, and you really have maxed it out (and if you've had it for the entirety of your 50 jumps, you still definitely haven't), then a similarly-sized Pilot or Sabre2 will be a different game again.

1.2 is a not inconsiderable loading already, and you're already illegal in the Netherlands at that size.

I was going to suggest learning double front-riser approaches, but I already saw that your locals will get mad at you if you do that. Since double fronts are definitely a safer way of going faster than getting a smaller canopy, think about what they would say when you showed up on a canopy that had no way to bail when the speed got you into hassles.

I like the advice of really learning to throw it around high up. Give it a go... I did recently on a mate's canopy that was two sizes bigger and a more conservative planform than mine, and my eyes were definitely opened. I'll take a CP course this year, and I might think about upsizing for it now.

Good luck with your decision, we all need it sometimes.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?