steveorino

If you knew you'd end up a quadaplegic because of skydiving, but not know when, would you take one final fairwell jump?

I would quit skydiving
There are other things to enjoy in life. I would prefer to have control of my body.

I agree. I'd quit.

The one option I don't understand is the last one. "Jumping until it happened." If you're going to do that, you might as well keep jumping AFTER it happened as well.

I'd just do one more jump at the home DZ with my closest friends, and call it a career. At this point in my life, it wouldn't be a bad idea.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If I knew without a doubt, then no, I wouldn't jump anymore. I don't have the same mindset as someone I know who ended up with that fate. I think I'd be quite bitter rather than work through it like he has. I'm proud to know people with that kind of attitude. I hope to learn every bit I can from them. However, at this moment in my life, I know I am not mature enough to go through with another jump and risk it. Since I don't know with certainty, then I keep doing what I love.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I'd keep jumping for a couple of reasons:

-I enjoy it way too much to stop at the possibility that it may be my next jump or my 200,000th.

-If it was meant to happen, it will. If you decide not to make that jump, it'll happen in a car wreck on the way home. WHo knows.

Live your life in hapiness, not fear or worry.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

With my luck, if I stopped skydiving I'd break my neck water skiing. I've taken up many different hobbies whilst taking breaks from jumping - one snake bite whilst sport clay shooting and 3 (separate) fractures due to horse riding accidents later, no one could convince me the bad one will definitely be due to skydiving :|

A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

The one option I don't understand is the last one. "Jumping until it happened." If you're going to do that, you might as well keep jumping AFTER it happened as well.

Pretty difficult to skydive as a quadraplegic.

@ Chris:

-If it was meant to happen, it will. If you decide not to make that jump, it'll happen in a car wreck on the way home. WHo knows.

Fatalistic bullshit made up to alleviate yourself from responsibility for your own risk management. Nothing is 'meant' to happen.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Pretty difficult to skydive as a quadraplegic.

@ Chris:

Check out Youtube!

Fatalistic bullshit made up to alleviate yourself from responsibility for your own risk management. Nothing is 'meant' to happen.

I completely agree. However, it was a hypothetical question.

People become quads everyday and it does not mean that their life is over. I did not get any warning that I was about to become a paraplegic and I have lived a more fulfilling life now then before. What is the actual point of this poll? Is it to make people consider what skydiving means to them? There is a better question that could be asked in this regard rather than implying that quads have a shit life and therefore using that as some form of benchmark to measure things from.

This would be a better question to have asked:

If you knew you would end up a selfish prick with no regard for anybody or anything on this planet because of skydiving, would you take one final farewell jump?

I’m not implying that anyone is, I’m just making a point about this poll, is it to rate how many think it would crap to be a quad or is it to make people think about what this awesome sport means to them.

hmmmmm.........
Get busy living or get busy dying!

I'm sorry if you took offense to my poll. Your thought about it's purpose never crossed my mind. It was simply one of the many random thoughts that float in my mind on any day. "IF I somehow knew I'd end up being a quad by skydiving, would I quit immediately, or roll the dice one more time and make a jump or quit cold turkey? The thought to keep jumping until the prophecy came true never came into my mind, but I put it as an option since I thought some might consider it. Yes, I LOVE skydiving, and it makes my life enjoyable, and gives meaning to my aging process. However the ability to be with kids/grandkids/wife mean so much more.

I salute you for living life under difficult circumstances!

steveOrino

I'm sorry if you took offense to my poll. Your thought about it's purpose never crossed my mind. It was simply one of the many random thoughts that float in my mind on any day. "IF I somehow knew I'd end up being a quad by skydiving, would I quit immediately, or roll the dice one more time and make a jump or quit cold turkey? The thought to keep jumping until the prophecy came true never came into my mind, but I put it as an option since I thought some might consider it. Yes, I LOVE skydiving, and it makes my life enjoyable, and gives meaning to my aging process. However the ability to be with kids/grandkids/wife mean so much more.

I salute you for living life under difficult circumstances!

Im not offended Steve, not at all.

Rock on!
Get busy living or get busy dying!

...well, this is a question that I noticed at a very critical time. Yesterday I witnessed my very first SERIOUS injury. My wife and I both jump, and as I ran over to help, realized it was a woman. This weighed very heavy on my soul. To see something happen to her by us taking the risk, and a very unfortunate chain of events would crush me and my ability to live. I am not a religious man and do not believe there is anything but this one chance at life, after that?...
I have a whole lot of searching to do in the next few months. Just the realization of the "possibility" is killing me. I dont know witch way to turn, I feel lost. Very sobering.

If you knew you'd end up a quadaplegic because of skydiving, but not know when, would you take one final fairwell jump?

if you knew you'd end up quadraplegic because of skydiving why would you quit? the wording makes it seem inevitable. the real question to think about is if you knew you could end up quadraplegic because of skydiving...

this is now based in reality. we all know that we might die skydiving yet we continue to jump. how often do we consider the possibilty of fucking ourselves up.

ask yourself the question now, shit happens.

Okay, totally weird random thought. I'm not sure how I would vote if I had to answer right now.

No because if life is a forgone conclusion then that next "final" jump you did would "the one". If you really believe that's going to happen for a certainty stop now.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Life (with full movement of my limbs!!!) is too precious. I'd never be able to hug my wife, pick up my grandkids... or tilt back that cold one that Ive enjoyed so many times after skydiving!! Although difficult...I'd have to WALK away from the sport and live thru others in their posts and vids online. blues and SOFT landings
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.